It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

found this rock in my basement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
So I was digging around in the basement looking in boxes I have not opened in a long time. I came across this rock. Anyone know what king of rock it is?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Looks like a geode unless I'm mistaken. I used to pick those up around a place I used to live in TN years back.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

I thought geode's were the completely round rocks? May be wrong though. Kinda hard to tell from just one angle the whole rock shape.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
sir

looks like you've stumbled upon an ancient coconut

run, the vans are coming

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Looks like quartz...of some type, there are oodles of different types of quartz though. Once resized it's easier to make out...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Havox

Nope not completely round or near it. Just do a google image search on geode's and you will see the variety as well as some that look almost identical to the op.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

It appears to be a chalcedony geode.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I will take a few more pictures of it. I just am curious why I have saved it for so long. lol Not ever knowing what it is or if it even has a value or just a paper weight.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It does look like a geode , people get those and try to break them in half in hopes of finding a mini cave of crystals inside , they're really cool

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Not sure how that guy shrunk them down
heres 3 more.

Ohh wow I found the other part of it also lol 1 more pic on the way in a minute.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

Yeah I did a search, saw some of the varieties. With the resized picture, definitely looks like a geode.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Im just going to use the thumb nails since I dont know how to shrink them down. I found the other part.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

Not sure what other's use, but you can use Photoshop, GIMP (Free DL) or
www.picresize.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's a Geode, we find that type all over the creeks here in Tennessee. Inside is full of small white crystals that fall apart easily, we call them SUGAR CRYSTALS.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I agree,Quartz.
If it is not Quartz than i think it could be a rock that should be mined.
A friend of mine brought something similar to me and it was small pieces of rock with small diamonds in it that he got from a mine.

Quartz is actually fairly good for striking to make fire.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

I used MS Paint in Windows 7, resized by pixels, kept aspect ratio intact and changed to 400 pixels from 1900+ or so pixels.

I'm not a geologist by any means but, I still say some type of quartz. The last one looks like it could be Rose Quartz even.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
All these rocks I have I found here in North Dakota over years and I have a box full. I think besides this one my favorite ones are the ones I found helping my grandpa pick rock in the field. They have shells and stuff still in them. That shows that even in ND we were under water at one point or another.
This is cool I found this box. So should I just put this rock back away or does it maybe have some value to it? Not sure I want to have it laying about. haha It will sit nice in my box for another 15years I think.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I would agree with your observation. The difference in color may be because the whiter part of the rock could be a calcite. While I was away you posted better pictures. Yes it appears to be a geode.
edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Your rock is nothing special or worth money, it's just a old Geode, we kick them out of the way when we walk in the creeks here in TN.

Like the photo below:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join