Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is it possible to think, and to be happy over that which is non-material? (non-material thinking)

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Even if you believe that everything is spirit and love or happiness is most important; can you do it for something nothing material? When you "love" are you loving other PEOPLE, ANIMALS, TREES, SUN, WIND, all physical things?

When you are happy is it because of a physical thing? PEOPLE doing what you want? PEOPLE being happy? THINGS showing up in your life?

Can you love love itself without attaching it to something physical? (universe, or THINGS in universe)

Can you be happy for the pure sake of happiness without physical? (THINGS or PEOPLE in life)

Can you stay focused on LOVE or JOY for self EXISTENCE instead of placing it on a physical object that can enter your life and leave it (including your physical body)?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I hope so! Sadly, the prevailing opinion is that it is impossible. You can't love someone you've never met, et cetera and so on... it's depressing.
I want a world in which every person loves everything and everyone.
As for happiness, it's possible to be happy just from the joy of being. Suffering is lowered by letting go of concern for the material. Philosophically speaking, one could say that it is the material world which hinders joy.

edit on 6-12-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It is possible. People do it all the time. Look at the people who find joy in God, or love, or freedom. Look at the people who wish to leave their bodies to live as 'soul' or 'spirit.' These are simple ideas, but they bring comfort to people and they hold these on pedestals in order to feel like there is purpose and significance to life. Personally, I think we should move away from this way of thinking, as it is done at the expense of real things.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I don't think you understood the question. I'm saying, is it possible to Love or be Happy without it pointing to some physical object, such as an item, animal, or person..

Is it possible to love Love itself?

Is it possible to just feel Happy without a reason - without pointing it to a physical object/person...

or is everything really always pointing to Material (whether it is actually physical or the idea of physical)..

edit on 6-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I answered in a pragmatic manner relevant only to everyday life. I'll try again with my philosophy hat on.
Yes, you can love Love itself, because love is absolute. It encompasses everything in the universe, material and immaterial. You can love all dimensions, not just the physical, and you can love philosophical concepts. Love doesn't point towards the physical aspect of the universe, because love is not self-contained. It is pure joy, the greatest of all happiness, and it requires no material trigger.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

What does it feel like to just FEEL love without it being directed at anyone or anything physical? This is very interesting...

I know that if I silent my mind and meditate, not thinking of any "things", there will be silence and peace...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
reply to post by arpgme

I answered in a pragmatic manner relevant only to everyday life. I'll try again with my philosophy hat on.
Yes, you can love Love itself, because love is absolute. It encompasses everything in the universe, material and immaterial. You can love all dimensions, not just the physical, and you can love philosophical concepts. Love doesn't point towards the physical aspect of the universe, because love is not self-contained. It is pure joy, the greatest of all happiness, and it requires no material trigger.

Nicely said.

To play devil's advocate—wouldn't we first need to be alive to love? Isn't life, existence and the things, thoughts and ideas we have of things material enough? In order to love, it seems one must first be alive, be material and exist on this material plain to do so. It also seems one must have a heart, a heartbeat and the air to draw breath in order to even conceive of the idea of love or peace or joy or happiness. Without the apparent world, there would also be no love.

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Maybe joy and sorry, satisfaction and disappointment is not possible without things, but maybe calmness, peace is.

This is very interesting:

Equanimity (Latin: æquanimitas having an even mind; aequus even animus mind/soul) is a state of psychological stability and composure which is undisturbed by experience of or exposure to emotions, pain or other phenomena that may cause others to lose the balance of their mind. The virtue and value of equanimity is extolled and advocated by a number of major religions and ancient philosophies.
- Wikipedia

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I love love.

What is happiness or love? Is it not a thought, an emotion? Is that a tangible object?

You read these words and maybe you think, that makes me happy.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ElleLachyme

Can you give me an example of loving love?
What is meant by this?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by arpgme

Happiness is a decision. Be happy for the sake of being happy.

If your happiness depends on something outside of yourself, what happens when that something is gone?

I think the above is easier said than done. I struggled with it because I thought people, places, and things were needed for happiness.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It seems trivial to me: For example -- today I woke up from an especially vivid dream. Though the details faded rapidly, a singular image stayed with me. I used it as the centerpiece for a new part of my book. This moment of awakening made me very happy, and now that it has past, I feel gratitude.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The emotion, the feeling of it, be it at 'something', 'someone', 'spiritual', whatever.

The chills that run up and down your neck, the warm feeling in your tummy, the comfort. I do not think that is material but deep seeded in the soul. We all strive for it and it is good. When you feel it, you know it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ElleLachyme

I wasn't saying that the emotion itself was material. I was saying do you think it is possible to feel that emotion WITHOUT focusing on material?

When a person have a lover, when they are in nature, or someone they care about, or whatever...

they feel that, but will they still feel that without anything MATERIAL (nothing physical like a thing or person)?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
You dont look for intrinsic rewards?

Do you expect a treat for doing a good deed or is doing a good deed its own reward?

To me, a good deed is its own reward.

Of course it is possible to be happy without material things.

Im no Buddhist but Bhudda was a prince that had everything. He left it all because he wasnt happy. He wanted something that was more than everything. We can all have more than everything if we look. Something that is real and forever.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Does sitting in the forest, appreciating the sites and sounds and general peacefulness of it count?

I've had wild animals come to me and let me actually touch them. Kinda cool.

Of course, when I go out hunting for food, they're nowhere to be seen.

Though there has been the occasional Deer, squirrel, etc that has given their life so I may live mine. For which I am always thankful.
edit on 7-12-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
But we do exist in a physical world and we do have basic needs.

Ever heard of B.F.Skinner?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Spiritual can be construed as physical if you take the time to appreciate it.

The thing is...if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anybody else...well then you can be happy.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I already know that people can be happy while appreciating the trees, the sky, nature (physical), etc..

I wonder if it is possible to have that happiness withOUT connecting it to a physical "thing".

The closest thing I can think of is being happy that you exist (this human body - mind). You will be around yourself from the day you are born till the day you die - so this can be unending happiness (until dying moment)

The only thing I can find that does not depend on something physical is silence/peace. Everything else seems to be connected to a material.

I LOVE Life (in other words, the way this unfolding is happening with all of these physical things)
I feel ONENESS with all (in other words, all objects contained in physical existence)
I feel HAPPY (because circumstances of physical existence arranged in a beneficial way)

Silence/Peace seems to be the only one that can happen without connecting it to another physical thing, like simple meditation, but imagine taking that silence/peace with you where ever you go and keeping an awareness of it even WHEN thoughts and emotions do arise - and remember to return back to this still place...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Silence/Peace seems to be the only one that can happen without connecting it to another physical thing, like simple meditation, but imagine taking that silence/peace with you where ever you go and keeping an awareness of it even WHEN thoughts and emotions do arise - and remember to return back to this still place...

The silence/peace you speak of is emptiness/void. All things appear within it. It is prior to all things - it is before and after. It is the no thingness that you are. It is always present. It feels like love. It is unconditional because it is unconditioned by the words. It is not shaped, it has no form, and yet, it shapes the form. The original form is then split into things with words.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution