It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a thought about Veterans Day..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So I’m at work working away and my mind is drifting around thinking about different things and I started thinking about Veterans Day, and I remembered seeing around on the net and in newspapers various pictures and articles of people very upset and protesting against stores being open and people working on Veterans Day.

It didn’t don on me at the time but now this was kind of coming off weird to me. I thought, how is not going to work so you can sit around your house and do nothing really “honoring our veterans”? I mean that’s what most people see it as, just another holiday. Not that many people actually attend the ceremonies or events held and very few people sit to watch the ceremonies on TV. I thought, is this the best we can do to honor our veterans?

That’s when I got the idea, instead of having a day off everyone should have to work a full day of work and have overtime hours available if the job permits for people who want to give a little extra, because see, all the money you earn that day is going to go straight to charity.
Isn’t that more appropriate? Our veterans gave everything even their lives fighting for us! What you don’t want to work a 10 hour day with no pay? Is that too rough for you, you can’t handle 1 hard day of work? You think our veterans had it easy? How many hard days did they put in for us? I think it’s the least we can do, the only people who get that day off should be veterans!

Then the numbers started running through my head, I figured here in Canada there is probably about 20 million working people, and that overall the average hourly wage is probably $20, so with an average of 8 hours worked per day that works out to over 3 billion dollars, wow. Imagine 3 billion dollars every year to give to charities all across the country, THAT seems like a much better way to honor our veterans than a day off work. In the US it would be closer to 20 billion dollars for charities, just something to think about eh.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Wow.

Tell me, how do I attend a ceremony to honor the brave soldiers who defended my country while I am sitting at my desk at work?

People can give to charity any day they want to. Remembrance Day, Veterans Day comes once a year.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Is this Mordor?

Why should I or anyone else give a damn about people who volunteered to wage war?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
We honored our veterans with a parade. Crowds gathered around them and welcomed them home and we cheered every single last one of them. Idk if that was just us but thats how we did it...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Is this Mordor?

Why should I or anyone else give a damn about people who volunteered to wage war?

Because they put their life in harms way so you could have the freedom to be a self absorbed, narcissistic, LOTR nerd.

Please feel free to move to a country that does not have a military. I know several veterans that will help you pack.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

If you want to do that, how about giving the money directly to homeless veterans instead of some vague "charity"? Many veterans are homeless directly or indirectly due to their service. I think giving them direct help would do much more to "honor them" than your plan.

link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Ceremonies could be held on the closest Sunday? Works for me. Also, does standing at a ceremony for an hour show more honor and respect than working a full day for people in need?

link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Because everything you know and love in your life probably never would have been able to happen if the Nazis had have been successful in their plans.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Yeah, remember when the Nazis stormed our beaches and we defended our country? Oh wait. No one has ever defended this country.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

......Oh wait. No one has ever defended this country.

You are ignorant sir.

War of 1812

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

......Oh wait. No one has ever defended this country.

You are ignorant sir.

War of 1812

And you Sir, are awesome!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I know I didn't write in the OP but one of the charities the money would go to would definitely be the veterans, obviously the money would just disappear to "vague charities" I just didn't go into writing specifics on that but but besides the veterans it could go to education, health and youth programs to start with.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

You can do as you please with your money and your time.

(You can thank a vet for having the right to do that)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Don't look at it as being told what to do with your money or your time, since it's charity the money is never yours, and since it would take place on a day that you would normally work it doesn't inconvenience you. It's just one day a year when the entire country basically "goes to help those in need at a soup kitchen" except you just work your normal everyday job.

Obviously I don't expect everyone to come in here and agree with me but I have to say the attitude of the posts in here are really sad, I know people loove their holidays but it's just sad to me that people aren't willing, and are actually against the idea of giving one day a year, one days pay, to help those in need. Instead I just see a selfish "all about me", "whats in it for me", "every man for themselves" attitude, but hey you have the right to be like that, you can thank your vets for that I'm sure they'd be proud.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

As a Vet, I give to Vets who are less fortunate than me. That is how it should be.

I've always had a problem with Memorial Day and Veterans Day as they have been turned into Sales and BBQ's.

To few remember the originating idea behind these days.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth
reply to post by TFCJay

Don't look at it as being told what to do with your money or your time, since it's charity the money is never yours, and since it would take place on a day that you would normally work it doesn't inconvenience you. It's just one day a year when the entire country basically "goes to help those in need at a soup kitchen" except you just work your normal everyday job.

Obviously I don't expect everyone to come in here and agree with me but I have to say the attitude of the posts in here are really sad, I know people loove their holidays but it's just sad to me that people aren't willing, and are actually against the idea of giving one day a year, one days pay, to help those in need. Instead I just see a selfish "all about me", "whats in it for me", "every man for themselves" attitude, but hey you have the right to be like that, you can thank your vets for that I'm sure they'd be proud.

What I am saying is that because of vets you have a choice to do what you want. You live in a free country.

I do not see Remembrance day as a holiday. I see it as a day to remember those who fought, died, were injured, and those currently serving our country.

top topics

join