It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spoiled Children of America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The Spoiled Children of America

It could be said that a good government acts as a type of “parental” unit to the people it serves. It provides for the needs of its people, and does its best to supply the wants. A government’s military acts as a defender of its people, just as a good parent would defend their child from harm.

The vast collection of great minds in a government allows for a greater collective intelligence than those of the scattered and unorganized citizens; the very same way that a parent is smarter than their toddler.

But just like within smaller family units, occasionally a government can become a “bad parent”.

There are many different types of bad parents: The deadbeat, the overbearing, the parent who spoils children, the substance abuser, etc. I’m sure you, the reader, can think of many more details to describe a bad parent. Some of you, I’m sure, are even victims or experiencers of bad parenting.

For this discussion I will be focusing on “The parent who spoils their children”.

There is a vast difference between a want and a need. For those of you who fail to see the difference, a need is something you cannot live very well without: food, clothing, shelter, protection. A want is something that you can easily live without: a 60’’ television, a new PS3, the new smart phone with less than an extra inch of screen space….

When you give a child everything they want, you will soon discover that the child becomes needy and more demanding. When the child does not get what they want, they typically throw tantrums: crying non-stop, pounding fists while rolling on the floor, screaming… I’m sure you have seen these examples plenty of times in your life.

Sometimes you have a parent who is a spoiler, and another who believes in teaching the child how to have more self-responsibility: cleaning up after their self, saying please and thank you, giving them an allowance for their work and letting them buy what they want (this teaches how to save money for bigger things, etc.).

Sadly a child is very smart, and will often pit one parent against another. This can sometimes cause huge rifts between the parents, and lead to big arguments.

However when comparing the relationship between the citizens of a country and their government, A.K.A. The child/parent relationship, symptoms of a spoiled citizen are slightly different. They do not typically cry, or any other action that is seemingly innocent; but they do throw fits in other ways. Often these “fits” are protesting for things that only benefit a small few, while having a detrimental effect on a greater whole. Another way is demanding that displays be taken down, because they disagree with it (such as Christmas decorations).

In these types of situations one parent may say, “Let them have what they want,” while the other parent may say, “No, they do not need this – they just want their way.” The enlightened mind may see very clearly which parent is which within our own political systems.

Now to the point of this post:

Over the past few years, specifically around Christmas time, I have seen a disturbing trend. That trend is people saying, “This Christmas decoration offends me, so take it down!”

Example 1

Residents in a Newhall senior apartment complex are protesting an order from management to remove their beloved Christmas tree from the community room because, they were told, it's a religious symbol.

www.dailynews.com...

Example 2

A church caught at the center of a controversy regarding a school trip to see their production of “Merry Christmas Charlie Brown” has decided to cancel the show…. A parent who felt the trip was inappropriate reached out to the ASF to voice her concerns when the show’s religious connotations, which reportedly differed from her own…

charlotte.cbslocal.com...
This production was completely optional, and the students didn’t have to go. The church ended the production for the children from fear of a lawsuit. Just one person "threw a fit" and ruined it for hundreds of children.

The spoiled citizens, who are in the minority, are throwing a big enough fit that they are getting their way.

It is a complete shame to me that our governing body submits to the demands of these people, just because they want their way.

Just because someone says “Merry Christmas!” will not magically change an atheist to a Christian. Calling something a Christmas tree will not cause you to worship Jesus.

This country was founded on freedoms – it is a sad day when you cannot even say “Merry Christmas” in schools without running the risk of being fired…..

So just because someone WANTS something to stop, doesn't mean it NEEDS to be stopped.

Grow up children… Grow up….

edit on 6-12-2012 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sir/Madam

My sincere congratulations on one of the best OPs I have ever seen on this site. I do not not think there is any better way to make your point than the way you did. The framing, and wording of your argument is truly first rate, your comments are conscise, and insightful while being thought provoking, and relevant. Well done indeed if I were a mod you would, and should get a round of appluase for this one.

edit on 6-12-2012 by hotel1 because: is

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
Sir/Madam

My sincere congratulations on one of the best OPs I have ever seen on this site. I do not not think there is any better way to make your point than the way you did. The framing, and wording of your argument truly first rate, your comments are conscise, and insightful while being thought provoking, and relevant. Well done indeed if I were a mod you would, and should get a round of appluase for this one.

I am a sir

Thank you for your kind words. You have inflated my head, haha

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle

Originally posted by hotel1
Sir/Madam

My sincere congratulations on one of the best OPs I have ever seen on this site. I do not not think there is any better way to make your point than the way you did. The framing, and wording of your argument truly first rate, your comments are conscise, and insightful while being thought provoking, and relevant. Well done indeed if I were a mod you would, and should get a round of appluase for this one.

I am a sir

Thank you for your kind words. You have inflated my head, haha

You're welcome, I am not one who gives out praise lightly but your post in my opinion is one deserving of praise.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
2 Steps to improving children of America.

A solid family, where parents are there for the kids, especially until they complete high school. I recommand 2 parent system, single parents are great but not effective as 2 parents.

A Parent who puts kids education as priority. and cuts down on work to help them succeed.

We are never going to happy with what we have, when we get a raise, your whole standard goes up, it happened to me.. i know... i could never live the life of a college freshman anymore.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hear! Hear!

it's nauseating anymore... what with all this politically correct BS over something that is such a non-issue ... people Do Need to grow up and realize that just because someone, and Yes, there will always be Some ONE, who will or can 'take offense' at even the slightest of things which differ from their own beliefs or personal 'comfort zone', if you will. It's beyond ridiculous...

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays
Mele Kalikimaka ame Hauoli Makahiki Hou
Merry Keshmish
Boas Festas e Feliz Ano Novo
Felices Pasquas Y Felices ano Nuevo
Feliz Navidad
Nadolig Llawen
Joyeux Noel
Buone Feste Natalizie
ETC...

Who the hell cares!? .. Just open the daggone presents and get the food on the table - I'm hungry

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
My hope is that in due time, people will come to their sinces and not allow this type of thing to happen any longer.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Totally agree. We shouldn't be debating about hiding religious or cultural trimmings so as not to offend anyone, we should be out there proudly displaying the myriad that we are, whoever doesn't like it can cover their eyes as they pass by.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I wish I could give more stars.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
did anyone read the entire article??....this was sponsored by a christian church, the "show" included a trip to the church, and a presentation of religous material....it JUST wasn't a charlie brown christmas movie showing... andv the protest came from one person!.....c'mon, arkansas is not exactly a hotbed of radical atheists....to NOT BE a christian in arkansas, is tantamount to being a communist. people need to go to the south and live there awhile, to get the "true flavor" of the bible thumper crowd.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Actually - I live in the south.... In Arkansas, one town over from where this happened....

People here are not "bible thumpers" as you said - and it was stated in my post that it was a church putting on the play.

But you are proving my point - athiests are few here, yet a minority can have total sway.... That's a problem.

When the majority want something a certain way, and the minority don't - and they get their way - it is totally unfair to the majority who make up a community.

So really, you have just proven the point of my post.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Actually - I live in the south.... In Arkansas, one town over from where this happened....

People here are not "bible thumpers" as you said - and it was stated in my post that it was a church putting on the play.

But you are proving my point - athiests are few here, yet a minority can have total sway.... That's a problem.

When the majority want something a certain way, and the minority don't - and they get their way - it is totally unfair to the majority who make up a community.

so, with that logic....if a school wanted to take your kid along with the entire class to a muslim temple for a reading of the islamic quaran, and a sketch play about allah, nobody there would have a complaint??
edit on 6-12-2012 by jimmyx because: syntax

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by jimmyx

so, with that logic....if a school wanted to take your kid along with the entire class to a muslim temple for a reading of the islamic quaran, and a sketch play about allah, nobody there would have a complaint??

I would not allow my children to go....

The same way these people had the ability to not allow their children to go....

It was optional - not forced.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
And to further my point - the majority here isn't muslim.

If they were, I would allow them to do what they want, without throwing an epic fit.

Just because their religion isn't the same as mine, doesn't mean I have to say "No - this shouldn't be allowed!!!"

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

i didn't ask you that, i asked you if any person there would file a complaint, that's what this one parent did.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I didn't think the idea of "multi-culturalism" meant the suppression of some and the embrace of others....imagine that. We are supposed to welcome all the different cultures of the world with open arms but are supposed to hide our own as if to be ashamed of it...pretty f*cked up if you ask me.

I admit, I have caved. I found myself saying "happy holidays" the other day instead of "Merry Christmas"...it actually bothered me after I realized it and thought about it...

The special interest groups get attention because they are small and vocal...but if people that actually like Christmas get vocal to protect it...they call us all kinda bad names...

Hypocrisy...what a bitter fruit it is...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

i didn't ask you that, i asked you if any person there would file a complaint, that's what this one parent did.

I would say that's just as bad.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

100% true... 100%

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

My hope is that in due time, people will come to their sinces and not allow this type of thing to happen any longer.

The tragedy is that it's too late. These people/complainers already got their way and to hell with the rest of us who are offended because of the changes.

It is ridiculous for anyone to be offended by a beautifully decorated holiday tree, even a nativity set, what harm is there really? There is none.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Cancelling a trip to see Merry Christmas Charlie Brown??? Really???? There is only the message of goodness and love in that. People are complaining about that????? There is seriously something wrong with people.

As for being politically correct, there are still plenty of people saying Merry Christmas when it's Christmas and I say it right back to them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join