It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Pillars Of Light Over Finland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Beautiful colored pillars of light are being reported all over Finland:

www.iltasanomat.fi...

In some areas, these pillars extend nearly all the way to the ground. No, they are not aurorae, they are caused by a fog composed of ice crystals in the air. The beautiful colors are caused by the street lighting and illuminated signs below. I thought I would post this in this forum to remind people here that natural phenomena can be as incredible and mind blowing as anything you can imagine.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Looks very similar to the northern lights to me, I've seen them act like that a few times when I was stationed in Alaska
JMVHO of course

Since this has to do with natural occurrences, this really dont belong in the Aliens and UFO thread...
edit on 12/6/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Here is the translation :

Readers were immortalized stunning lighting effect in different parts of Finnish. Within a few days in different parts of Finnish been observed in the reflected sky column of Light. - The phenomenon caused by airborne, small ice crystals, of which the light is reflected and possibly also folds, says the Finnish Meteorological Institute researcher Tiera Laitinen. Laitinen, Pillars form the ice crystals are generally plate-. They hover in the horizontal plane, in which case they are with artificial lighting consists of a column in the shape of a pillar of light. This phenomenon is reminiscent of many of the more familiar halo effect, which manifests itself in the sky visible in various circles, arcs and brighter and brighter. Halo occurs when the sun or moon light is refracted or reflected off of tiny airborne ice crystals. - It's really just the same phenomenon. This time, the light source is the only way to light, Laitinen says.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Same principles apply here I believe .....

Cool picture BTW

edit on 6-12-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Since this has to do with natural occurrences, this really dont belong in the Aliens and UFO thread...

On the contrary. Many of the threads in the UFO forum are actually describing natural phenomena that were not properly understood by the observers. If I had titled this thread "UFO Portals Over Finland," without explaining what they really were, there would have been countless replies to the effect of: "I have seen these my self. They are light-ships from the fifth vibratory level." As I said, people should remember that nature can be as beautiful and mysterious as anything we can imagine!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
HMMMMMMMMM red, white, and blue..

i bet the US has something to do with it!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Looks very similar to the northern lights to me

Funnily enough, light pillars are also sometimes referred to as "false auroras" due to their resemblance to the real thing.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Well said.

These are light pillars if you didn't know yet. Definitely pretty and interesting regardless.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Can we honestly believe that the light from a streetlight or neon sign will be enough to stretch all the way up into the atmosphere?

Compare these with the laser shows which pump out far more power AND they are directed energy.

Streetlights shine downwards, and neon signs are not directed upwards either (no-one up there to see the advertising).

I think the explanation that these are caused by streetlighting and neon advertising signs is stretching our belief somehow.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

You could have the most epic rave in the history of the universe using this phenomena...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Thanks Op greatr photo sharwed them with my partner.
What a wonderful world.
Thanks

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Can we honestly believe that the light from a streetlight or neon sign will be enough to stretch all the way up into the atmosphere?

Compare these with the laser shows which pump out far more power AND they are directed energy.

Streetlights shine downwards, and neon signs are not directed upwards either (no-one up there to see the advertising).

I think the explanation that these are caused by streetlighting and neon advertising signs is stretching our belief somehow.

I have to agree with you. it looks like daylight in the photo so why would street lights and neon signs even be on?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

I have to agree with you. it looks like daylight in the photo so why would street lights and neon signs even be on?

Stars during the daytime?
They are very beautiful. And arent they caused by man made lights, so, they arent really natural? Man is natural, and, the fog and such, but, you guys see where I am going. nitpicking though, its all good. They are awesome.
edit on 7-12-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

You can see city lights from space:

(Geo-political quiz: What landmass are we viewing? Answer below.)

Laser shows use fog machines so that the beams are visible. The lasers used are not really very bright.

Sadly, most street lighting is not very well designed. The light spills out in all directions, causing light pollution. We're not supposed to advocate political causes here, but this link is instructive on this matter:

www.starrynightlights.com...

Which is why I originally posted this in the UFO forum.

Answer to Geo-political Quiz: The Korean Peninsula.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Those things are beautiful. Thanks for sharing and telling us what they were.

Imagine seeing that and NOT knowing what it was..

"Ohhhhh s#%$..... There goes the neighborhood"

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
HMMMMMMMMM red, white, and blue..

i bet the US/AU/North Korea/Norway etc, has something to do with it!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It says in that article above that it is the ice crystals in the AIR that is forming the columns.. this makes sense because otherwise the lights should spread out spherically...

So what is making these vertical columns? Could it be some effect created by the lights themselves? Some electrical effect? Or maybe some effect caused by the lights and the atmosphere interacting...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Quick someone send help these companies are invading the North Pole and Santa can't get out to deliver this years presents!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

They don't actually stretch high into the atmosphere, it's an optical illusion much like you can't find the end of the rainbow.

Columns of light apparently beaming directly upwards from unshielded (and wastefully polluting) lights are sometimes visible during very cold weather. Plate shaped ice crystals, normally only present in high clouds, float in the air close to the ground and their horizontal facets reflect light back downwards.

Source: Atmospheric Optics

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Technically it is not "natural phenomena" if it is being caused by streetlights and the like.

And what you posted in your video is nothing like the picture in the OP.
edit on 12/7/2012 by smarterthanyou because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join