It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun people, I need your help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
**If this belongs in another forum, Mods please move it!**

Whilst going through my late uncle's belongings -- we came across a shotgun. I like guns, they're fun to shoot and I respect them, but I don't know crap about models and history.

I did some cursory google searches and found very little. Hence why I am coming to you guys. Maybe the combined power of the ATS gun nuts can help me find some history on this piece for my family?

The gun says it's a "Winchester Model 50". It has a carved wooden stock (scene of birds/ducks?), and a barrel with what looks to me like a "rail" across the top. The end of the barrel has what looks like a flash suppressor, but apparently it's a thing you twist to adjust the choke.

From what I can gather on google and just handling it -- it's a semi-auto.

There isn't anything out there on this thing. It looks practically brand new. There is a little bit of scratching on the plastic piece on the end of the stock, and some rubbing around where the shells go in. Overall on a scale of 1-10 ... I'd give this thing an 8. It looks like it might have seen 50 shotgun rounds through it.

Does anyone have any info on this model of gun? I'd like to outfox my family and bring some history and facts about it to the dinner table this holiday season!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Its a 1950s shotgun and they were made in 12 and 20 gauge.

Its a take down shot gun the barrel will come out and you could have a number of barrels like a short one and since you have a adjustable choke. you also if you can find a spare barrel you could set one up with a scope on it for slugs
www.gjkm.com...

Model 50 is the finest semi-auto shotgun made by Winchester.

Yours may have the WINLITE choke tube system on it,

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Yours may have the WINLITE choke tube system on it,

AWESOME. Thanks for that. I'm scared to take it to the range w/my family. I think I want to tell them just to put it away for a rainy day. I've never seen a shotgun that has a slide like a semi-auto rifle before. At first I tried to pump it and quickly realized!

Hm. So it's an early model...that would explain why there isn't much out there on it!

ETA: Thanks for the link, I think I'll buy that for my Old Man to keep with the gun!
edit on 6-12-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Basic things.

The model 50 was a pre 1964 model. It was introduced in 1954. 1964 was the year the true Winchester firearms died. The ones produced after 1964 (company reorganization) were pretty much junk in comparison.

The adjustable poly choke you have on it is most likely aftermarket. They would have had the last couple inches of the barrel cut off, and threaded to accept the adjustable choke.

Notes on an adjustable choke. Don’t fire slugs, or buckshot through them. Just fire lead bird shot. The larger projectiles will hurt the pedals of the choke. If you want to fire prestated larger projectiles, set the choke to zero, or remove the choke. If the barrel has inside thread for fixed chokes then install a thread protector (cylinder bore choke) on the end to stop the threads from getting damaged by the discharged projectile.

If your gun has and inside threaded barrel then you should be able to remove the poly choke and install a fixed choke on it.

Do not use 3 inch “magnum” shells in it unless you want to have parts of it imbedded into you. Strictly use 2 3/4 shells!!!!!!!

Do not use steel shot, unless you want to destroy the barrel.

Do not get 20 gauge shell mixed up with your 12 gauge shells. You could end up with a 20 gauge shell in the barrel with a 12 gauge behind it. The gun will go boom, into a thousand pieces.

Beyond that, have fun.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Thanks for the ammo advice! I suppose the proper ammo is quite a bit more expensive than normal!

Looking at the butt stock and the carving details I think they are actually pheasants. Long tail feather and one on the head?

And I called, yes -- it does say, "polychoke" on it.

I ran some google "image" searches for "Winchester 50" and haven't seen one with a carved wooden stock. I'm wondering if this is something my uncle won in a skeet/trap shooting competition? He was known for his skeet shooting!

edit on 6-12-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Thanks for the ammo advice! I suppose the proper ammo is quite a bit more expensive than normal!

No, they are the standard size. 3 inch and larger shells are what cost more.

2 3/4 shells are the standard size that pretty much all 12 gauge shotguns will take.

Shotgun barrels have a slightly larger chamber diameter than barrel diameter. After the shot leaves the shell, it goes through a forcing cone to squeeze it down to the barrel’s normal diameter. The barrel should be bored for 2 3/4 shells. That means that the forcing cone is deep enough into the barrel that the shell does not protrude into the forcing cone. If you put a 3 inch shell in, then the shell may protrude into the forcing cone and obstruct it to some degree. That will cause a lot higher chamber pressure when you fire the gun.

It is OK for you to use 2 3/4 shell in a barrel chambered for 3 inch. But it is not safe for you to use 3 inch shell in a barrel chambered for 2 3/4.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Is the engraving typical of this model or could that be something worth examining more closely? Is there anything he should no regarding the serial number on these guns?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The rail on top of the barrel is called a vent rib. On the Winchester Model 50, these were only found on the Skeet or Trap models with a 26" or 30" barrel.

The engraving was never a standard option which means it was done after the shotgun was purchased. I'm guessing it was probably used for skeet shooting competitions. The only stock options Winchester offered were to have a plain straight, pistol grip or monte carlo style stock.

If you know the serial number, I could look up the exact year for you if you would like.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Don't be scared to fire it mushroom man, as long as it's in working order, no bulges or cracks in the barrel etc and it goes into battery ok, you'll be fine.

This is firing a Lee Enfield Rifle for the first time in maybe a hundred years...

Nothing wrong with it, still going strong

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Those Lee-Enfields were a strudy workhorse of a rifle. i've had afew,used to be able to buy them for real cheap around here.The nicest one I had I bought for $40,and paid another $20 to replace the missing extractor. Headspace was a bit of a nissue with them,as I recall,but htey were pretty darn reliable. I'll bet th old .303 killed more deerand moose here in Canada than any other round.

As for the Winchester shotgun,if it's in good shape i wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. Winchester made some fine firearms,particularily those older models. Could you perhaps post some pics of the carving? it sounds interesting,I'd be curious to know who did the work.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thanks guys!

It's one heavy gun! I was talking with some of the family over dinner this weekend -- and we think it'd be a good idea to take it to a gunsmith to be checked out. I have no idea even how to load it, let alone know if everything is in nice working order.

From what I've seen on the 'net, these things typically go for $100 (poor condition) to $500 (in excellent condition, which this one is!) -- the engraving is fairly intricate of some quail or phesants.

The one thing I'll have to contend with are the grumpy people that work the gun range. They do NOT like shotguns because they "tear up the targets". They use these wooden frames that we have to staple gun our targets to. I think they make people pay extra and only allow birdshot with shotguns.

new topics

top topics

join