It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong-un Beefs Up Security Amid Fear of Unrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Kim Jong-un Beefs Up Security Amid Fear of Unrest

english.chosun.com

Kim "is extremely nervous about the possibility of an emergency developing inside North Korea," claimed an informed source..."Kim Jong-un desperately needs to bolster his personal security detail due to mounting opposition to his efforts to rein in the military," said one diplomatic source... Veteran officials in the North's Workers Party are also unhappy with the young leader's confusing reshuffles and impulsive orders...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
We hear a lot of news from North Korea about this and that, but nothing seems to change. Every society has its breaking point, however, and North Korea has held on to its dysfunctional way of life in the face of almost unimaginable grimness for decades. With an inexperienced leader and squabbling factions in the military and civilian leadership alike, could the final snapping point be around the corner?

I think they can't go on much longer and we are seeing the signs of strain with news like this.

I hope that this country opens itself to the rest of the world in a way that is peacful and not chaotic. They have the potential to make life very unpleasant for themselves and others around them if they fall apart in a chaotic and/or violent way.

May cooler heads prevail.

english.chosun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I kind of have a feeling that it's just an elite power squabble and it will end with a hefty dose of punishment for three generations in one of the hellish prison camps. I seriously doubt the culture will change. Men behind the curtain may change, but the gap between poor and rich is far too tightly controlled for it to just go up in smoke.

It seems to me that NK has a serious case of koolaid drinking, from top to bottom.

I hear tons of people are dying of starvation as drug crops are more profitable for the state than food for the people. That has a tipping point, and it is sooner rather than later as infrastructure crumbles.

I've seen some of the presented leaked footage of NK, and my heart hurts for those people. Conspiracies of propaganda aside, I think things are as bad as they are reported, and that is a hellish situation.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The problem as always is to separate fact from the dis-information spread by the West. The constant use of secret sources and sources close to ..... always smacks of out own dis-info people. It almost seems as if they believe that if you say it often enough it may come true.

As is often the case, we in the West have enormous problems working out what our own Governments are up to, in such a closed country it is impossible for us to know truth. We get two versions, one from their Governments propaganda machine and the other from our Governments propaganda machine.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle as always, but where exactly is the question.

P

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I think Kim probably has himself a family feud of the highest order brewing and personal security means brothers and sister aren't happy campers with Kim's ..ahem...leadership. I recall reading quite a bit about all that (which was probably close to all the public record has from that closed system) about the one sibling busted trying to go to Disney-Japan or whatever and a Sister who is ambitious, so be neutral about it. It sounded to me like it was almost a running family contest for who won the big prize and losers definitely existed.

Hmm... I don't much buy unrest. This is a nation where unrest is probably considered severe enough for authorities to be called if you call someone a Goober or say Kim's a sissy. I don't foresee major protests that Pyongyang didn't organize happening any time soon. After all, having a little pork to eat vs. 1001 ways to cook tree bark and like it is very much at the whims of the Government as I understand reports of life there.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by KarensHoliday

Are they fighting over the Unicorns?
North Korea discovers Unicorns

I'm certain the unrest must come from this since unicorns are magical and everyone wants a little bit of magical. If there's not enough unicorns to go around, then, people are going to get upset.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Funny, but not exactly unicorns as MLP fans will think.
navercast.naver.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
THIS is the straw that broke the camels back?! Not the starvation of the people, the concentration camps, or brainwashing? Oh well. Better this than nothing at all.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Interesting.

If the North Korean military apparatchiks want to do him in he cant be all bad. He may actually be trying the reform to some degree the nightmare he was bequeathed.

The trouble is how do you do that? The lie at the heart of the regime is so old and deep how do you go back on it. The minute belief in the lie starts to crumble it will all fall in on itself.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I'm doubting he is going to change anything. He lives the good life as "all time supreme leader", why would he want to change anything? He like the fact people bow and kiss his shoes.

I believe the phrase "cult of personality" comes to mind when thinking of North Korea.

It's funny (not in a comical way) we focus sooo much attention on the Middle-east and their "humanitarian" efforts, we completely ignore North Korea. Only time we give two .... about them is if they launch one of those "missiles"

North Korea really is a sad place. Hopefully one day those people will understand what "freedom" is and breakaway from tyranny.

Good read. S/F

-SAP-
edit on 6-12-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Its ignored because its a problem that doesn't have solution without enormous loss of life.

Nobody in the region likes it, but everybody fears its inevitable eventual collapse more than they dislike the status quo.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Good points, and I am not disagreeing with you on that.

Hopefully Kim Jung-Un does change his country, at least a little bit. I guess only time will tell. My guess is though, the longer he sits in power the more sinister he becomes.

-SAP-
edit on 6-12-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Something has to pop there sooner or later.

I've thought for a while now that NK wants a war, it's the only way out of the mess that saves face for the hardliners. They can say they tried up to the end, then get a condo in Seoul.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
They shoot off rockets instead of feeding the civilians. It was bound to happen.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I don't get it, why an unrest. He's currently #1 in polls for NY times person of the year.

www.time.com...
edit on 6-12-2012 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
It's time for the Hermit Kingdom to enter judgment. Christians have been praying for the release and comfort of the thousands of poor christians stuck in their concentration camps. We prayed down the Soviet Union, N. Korea is next.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Kim Jung Un is the diet coke of evil...just one calorie, not enough!

Look for Specter to raise the bar as Kim Jung has blown up military leaders with mortar rounds so that there "is nothing left."

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As of this last proposal by North Korea to fire a missile and launch a satellite, the Chinese and Russians have expressed their disdain towards North Korea's plan with ever increasing volume. I'm sure pressure is being applied from that front. I think Kim is caught in a New School verses Old School system of ambitions where he is in favor of implementing a New School, a New Guard and coming into modern times and prosperity that follows. Anything would seem as prosperity in a country thats basically been enslaved for generations. I believe if there is hope for North Korea, it lies in Kim. Isolationism can usually only last till the cupboards are bare and only starvation awaits. And dead people can contribute nothing. Korea must come into the 21st century or be left behind by the emerging economies that surround them, ie Southeast Asia, Japan and China. If not, it's likely they will loose their chance at competing in that monetary arena.

top topics

join