It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is happening to children in America?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by KarensHoliday

Then why is 3 of 3 of mine not at all obese?
I think that number there is BS.

Because a sample of three from the same household does not represent the average 100 or so million American children.

Also, the OP stated 1 in 3 are overweight, not obese. Here's a source for ya:

CDC

17% are considered obsese, a 3 fold increase from the previous generation.

he percentage of overweight children in the United States is growing at an alarming rate, with 1 out of 3 kids now considered overweight or obese.

Kids Health

So out of 100%, about 16% are considered just overweight, and an additional 17% are considered obese. The remaining 2/3 are either a healthy, or under weight.
edit on 6-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It is time for me to get my weekly flaming in

Children need rules in their lives. They need to know what is and what is not acceptable behavior.
If the child does something that they know is wrong then they should get a .......:..........
Spanking. (That's right I said it).
You do not put the child in a corner.
You do not send the child to their room to isolate them.
You do not speak to the child as an equal.

You spank the Child. First you make sure they know why they are getting spanked. After the spanking you make sure they understand. Then you drop the matter. They did wrong, the punishment has been rendered and you move on as if it never occurred. The child will remember.
I hate it when I see people send their child to their room or put them in time out. You should not separate the Child from you because you do not want to deal with the problem.
I have three boys who are very well behaved and we get along great. I spanked all three when they needed me to do so. It is something that I absolutely hate doing but as a father it is my responsibility. All three of my boys are teenagers now and I am sure that one day they will thank me as I did my dad.
Children are fat now because a majority of them are raised to be lazy.
Mom and Dad do everything for them.
When my boys became teens they started learning how to care for themselves and others.
The wash clothes, fold them, put them away.
They wash dishes, dry them and put them away.
They clean house and clean yards.
The older two change the oil in the cars when needed and all three help their mom and I when needed.
And we get along GREAT!
My wife and my oldest have difficulties sometimes but that is because they are a lot alike.
If they raise their voice at their mom (does not happen often) I tell them "that may be your mom but you had better remember she is my wife and YOU WILL NOT SPEAK TO HER IN THAT WAY.
I believe many learning problems come from the parents not being more involved. But I also believe a lot is caused by what children are being fed as well.
Quad

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

They are eating garbage food making them fat and unhealthy.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Where do you get your information? I have given many vaccinations, and we use the same multidose vial for everyone who comes in during a certain time period. There are few makers, and they are all very expensive. I have never once in 12 years encounterd the "minority" or "white trash" vaccine.

Does the medical field over-vaccinate? I think they do. Probably because it is expensive and covered by most risk pool type coverage so it is an easy money maker, but there is no disparity in what socioeconomic class gets what type, or quality of vaccine.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

I tied a change in voice to the discipline and explained what they did wrong to get the spanking. I only had to spank my kids a few times and they learned. I used that change in voice a lot after that and they immediately knew I meant business. Putting a kid in a corner doesn't work that well for most kids.

You don't want to break your childs spirit, you want to teach them that there is always someone with control over them in this society and they have to learn to follow rules. I suppose some would say that spanking my kids was bad, my kids turned out alright. If your kids don't try to take over the family, they will never succeed in this world. You have to dampen that till they get enough knowledge and experience to do it right otherwise they will try and fail and then won't try again when they are ready. explain what will happen if they try too early, patients will pay off for them.

Discipline has nothing really to do with this thread. I think the problems the thread is talking about is sickness and problems that do not require discipline.
edit on 6-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think physical punishment works for some kids, but maybe not all. The only reason I ever got in trouble was not actually doing an act, but asking why after. After showing such a lack of "respect"
I'd get spanked with a belt. This went on for a year or two, until my parents realized that I never adjusted my behaviour.

Eventually they realized that if they just listened to me, and told me why something was wrong, I would take the time to reason it through myself. If it made sense, I'd fully comply and learn the lesson. If it didn't make sense, I'd approach my parents and tell them my reasoning of why it seemed unfair.

So punishment doesn't work for some kids. I can see that it's necessary for others, and is lacking these days. It really just depends on the child.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

-1 in 3 is overweight -1 in 6 has learning disabilities -1 in 9 has asthma -1 in 10 has ADHD -1 in 12 has food allergies -1 in 20 has seizures -1 in 54 males has autism -1 in 88 has autism

Are the stats for adults much difference... Why just mention children. This is probably cross spectrum

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Probably just the first one. 1/3 are overweight. I think the rest have increased too rapidly to think that it's the same in adult populations.

Actually, 2/3 are overweight if I'm recalling correctly.
edit on 6-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Really?

Then why can't parents control their own children? Why is it that if a parent drops a child off at school and the child decides to leave then the parents get in trouble by the authorities, all based off of the laws of the USA? Why is it that a child can lie about his parents, and get them into trouble with the law?

And it is not just that I am blaming the government I am also blaming the parents for the problems of the children. If you followed the lawsuits against McDonalds, it started with people complaining about being overweight, complaining about their children being overweight, and then expecting the government to come in and save the day.

Why is it that there is a marked decline in the US educational system, where the ranking of the US in the areas of math and science, out of 29 of the wealthiest countries, the US is ranked at 27?
And the standards are set by the US Department of Education, under the No Child Left Behind Act? Who is to blame, the goverment or the parent?

The blame is half of the federal government that sets and puts out these standards and the other half is the parents.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarensHoliday
reply to post by 12voltz

Sorry about the avatar, adjust your v-hold

Your comment is an interesting take on the situatuon. So you think nothing has changed except our perception of things? I guess its possible. But I there were definitely not this many fat kids around 20 years ago and it seems like there are a lot more autistic or autistic-spectrum kids.

in regards to the overweight issue. Kids form of entertainment has greatly changed within the last 20 years. Kids back then had to go outside , bike ride, play and the parents forced them out in order to get a break as well.

Fast forward 20 years kids sit on the couch and ride a virtual bike and play with virtual friends and the parents don't kick them out to get a break because they just sit in their room with the door closed in cyber land.

In regards to the other issues. I suspect they are causalities of war in the pursuit of the mighty dollar by the use of chemicals , preservatives, and what not in product we come in contact on a daily basis. They also make good consumers of expensive treatments in the future.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
all answers U need are here

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I hate to say this but if we ban ALL process foods and that's pretty much 90% of what all stores sell and go back to eating natural nutrition wholesome foods I bet within 10 years children will become healthier long-living adults.

Of course it will put alot of companies out of business but it would benefit mankind.
edit on 6-12-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
reply to post by Ghost375

Really?

Then why can't parents control their own children? They can! They just don't!Why is it that if a parent drops a child off at school and the child decides to leave then the parents get in trouble by the authorities, all based off of the laws of the USA? Why is it that a child can lie about his parents, and get them into trouble with the law?

These questions don't really have anything to do with my post. It involves parents and the government but not in the context I was talking about at all. Your first question is pretty much my main point. Parents need to control their kids, and teach them how to behave. There's nothing the government does that prevents this, so I really don't get the point of this. I think you were complaining about not being able to spank kids, but the truth is you still can(I don't know where you guys heard that you can't, probably some misrepresented article on the internet). You just can't beat them. Not to mention, positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement. Spanking is NOT the best way to teach a kid how to behave. It's scientifically proven.

It's your last 2 questions that don't relate to what I was saying at all. Plus, what's wrong with the second question? Parents should encourage their kids to learn and go to school. It is the parent's responsibility.

your third question is a messed up situation, but where does the government come into fault here? It's the kids fault here. Still possibly the parent's for raising a lying brat of a kid. I don't see how the government would be at fault at all. For having laws that protect kids?

And it is not just that I am blaming the government I am also blaming the parents for the problems of the children. If you followed the lawsuits against McDonalds, it started with people complaining about being overweight, complaining about their children being overweight, and then expecting the government to come in and save the day.
Exactly....it's not the government's fault. my point exactly.

Why is it that there is a marked decline in the US educational system, where the ranking of the US in the areas of math and science, out of 29 of the wealthiest countries, the US is ranked at 27?
And the standards are set by the US Department of Education, under the No Child Left Behind Act? Who is to blame, the goverment or the parent?

Yes, it's still the parent. The education system is fine(and don't try to put words in my mouth that I say it's perfect or great). It really is. If you put in the effort, you WILL learn. Kids aren't putting in the effort at all, and it's the parent's job to make sure their kid is motivated. Parents aren't taking any responsibility for their own kids education....and then you blame the government for not educating the kids. Ironic, isn't it?

Just because you use parents and government in the same sentences, doesn't mean they share the blame equally.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

----IIMO , some American are fooled to ask scientists to help them.

You would not believe how easy it is to credit the expert. We have been conditioned to automatically accept the word of someone with a smock or a plaque on the wall. The pulpit, news desk and podium are our master.

We just believe it. Amazes me sometimes. Like my brother will accept the advice of anyone as long as they are "christian". Thats as far as his investigation of a source for healing or marriage counseling.

I know that may sound oversimplified, but I think that religious persuasion should be the last indicator of what expertise a person has in any given field.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Found this interesting tid bit .... seems to ring true to me because I lost weight when I started shopping Organic.

"Genetic modification of corn, or maize, is partly responsible for the expanding proportions of earthlings. Statisticians at the University of Toledo come up with this hypothesis in Nutrition Research and Practice.
They compared American figures on the increase in obesity with data on the consumption and production of food, and observed that although the average American has increased considerably in girth since 1995, since 2000 he or she has actually been eating less.

When the researchers looked for data on the percentage of corn grown in the US that has been genetically tampered with, they produced the figure above. The increase in the number of obese people in the US is almost exactly the same as the disappearance of unmodified corn in the American farmlands."

anabolicminds.com...

93 percent of all soy, 86 percent of corn, and 93 percent of canola seeds are now genetically modified in the USA...we and Canada are just about the only industrialized nations with no labelling laws on these foods and hence consuming the most (labelling seemed to have had an off putting effect for other countires citizens).... loads of chronic health conditions have gotten much worse here and are increasing as GMO's spread .. we could be seeing an agent organge type pesticide sprayed as early as next year for Monsanto's new corn ... yipppeeee ..gotta love our health bills.

We are the fatest nation on Earth .... always do things bigger and better huh !

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

And now thanks to your avatar 1 in 100,000 has blurred vision
On topic : what is happening? misunderstandings that not everyone is the perfect example of normal .
Not in all cases like obesity which is most likely caused from overeating
edit on 5-12-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

Obesity is a no brainer.

There is not enough nutrition in the food people eat. Leaving them to be not hungry, but actually legitimately starving. This causes "overeating" and thus obesity.

Malnutrition is the cause for most ailments. Stress in my opinion comes next. Pollution and radiation does not help either, thank wifi and smart meters for that one.

We're the Guinea pig generation.
And their experiments are working.

edit on 6-12-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have to agree with your assessment. I'm also concerned with the amount of apathy, disrespect, increase teen violence especially with girls, and their perspective on educating themselves as being not important. I also think technology is causing children to become lazy and become bored much quicker than earlier generations. I think the popularity of video games is a direct cause of why a majority of children are becoming obese.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This thread is quite large now.
So to bring it back, the question was
What's wrong with American Children?

I have a one word answer;
DEREGULATION

If I could have more words, I'd specify
food consumption quality control beginning in the 50's
as the original culprit. Now that list includes pollution deregulation,
prescription drug deregulation, bank deregulation etc etc etc on and on.
edit on 6-12-2012 by sealing because: sp

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I am not sure we can trust things like ADHD stats. These days, there are far too many medications for everyone, including children, being pushed. I suspect a lot of kids are diagnosed with some such problem when they rally don' have one. These days, too many want to assign some psychiatric label to anything and everything. Why can't a kid just be misbehaving now and them?

Overweight? That is a real problem for children, as childhood weight issues can lead to lifetime problems. Causes there are not all one thing, though. I mean, sure, some people have no idea what to feed their kids, and that's a problem. However, I have seen times when parents seemed to actually want their child overweight. I wish I was kidding, but I am not.

This one little girl was the daughter of the troop leader for my oldest's Brownie troop. All of the troop was invited to her birthday party. This child was overweight. Not huge, but not healthy. At the party, the kids all had cake, of course. This girl's mother asked her if she anted another piece. No one else asked for any, and the rest of the kids were in the yard at this point. The conversation was in the living room, with all the parents. Well, the girl said, "No." - she didn't want any more cake. What happened next shocked me. Her mother basically insisted that she eat another slice, which the child did, in tears.

Another case, a coworker of mine brought in his infant daughter. I have NEVER seen a baby that fat. The poor girl had, literally, triple chins. This guy asked me if I thought she was cute! I told him, nicely, that I could not tell, because she was too heavy. He really didn't seem to realize there was a problem! I recommended he change her diet, and seek a new pediatrician, since clearly the one they were using wasn't looking out for the health of that child. In both those cases, there was the same cultural background. I don't know WHY, but it seems to be not that uncommon, for some reason.

When my oldest was a child, we lived, for a time, in a small Kansas town near a military base. For a short while, she attended a school in town. I was stunned when I first picked her up after school one day (many, she would walk - about two blocks). Literally half of the kids coming out of the school were overweight. About a third of those were seriously obese. I had never seen so many overweight kids in one place. AT that time, that town was among the poorest in the nation, too; maybe THE poorest, I can't recall for certain. For some reason, it seems there are more poor, overweight kids than better off ones. maybe that isn't accurate across the board, but it matches what I have seen.

Learning disabilities? I think we would have to be more specific on that, to make a fair assessment of why.

Autism, I think we can pin a lot of on vaccines. Allergies and Asthma? Well, asthma, they claim they don't know, but I know mine wasn't helped by two parents that were heavy smokers.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarensHoliday
-1 in 3 is overweight
-1 in 6 has learning disabilities
-1 in 9 has asthma
-1 in 10 has ADHD
-1 in 12 has food allergies
-1 in 20 has seizures
-1 in 54 males has autism
-1 in 88 has autism

I think one of the things you have to take into consideration here is that a lot of these maladies are "defined" by some body or organiation who has decided what constitutes, first of all, "being overweight." They decided that an ideal body weight has a certain body/mass index and anyone OVER their calculation is therefore deemed "overweight."

"Learning disabilities" The average IQ is 100. Half the people have a lower IQ than that. When you go lower than 100 eventually you reach an IQ that is perfectly reasonably low in terms of the definition for IQ, but these people definitely have "learning disabilities. It's because they have a low IQ. There's nothing really "wrong" with them other than the fact that they can't learn as well as someone with an IQ of 100 or better. There's nothing you can really do with them to make them smarter, so they get labeled "learning disabled." It's a polite way of saying they are stupid.

ADHD is another defined illness. It's like alcoholism. It is defined as an "illness" like the flu is an "illness." It doesn't admit that alcoholism might be a faliure of character or the result of an addictive personality. Not that some ppeople are more prone to alcoholism than others, but the issue that it is an "illness" because enough of the right people lobbie sto have it labeled as such. It's the same with ADHD. Parents can't control their kids why? Could it be because they aren't providing a sufficiently nurturing environment? Are they not allowed to discipline heir children because the State says they can't? Whatever. It just can't be their fault, therefore there must be something wrong with the kid. So he's got ADHD. drug him up!

It used to be that being Gay was a disease. Society has decided that's no longer the case, that people have the right, even the political obligation, to be Gay. Not too many years ago even liberals professed the Gay people might get better after years of therapy and cerainly souldn't be shunned,; it was just one of those things.

So "being ill" is often a matter of fitting the current definition of what "being ill" is. In this day and age when it is to person's benefit to find a way to define themselves as disabled, naturally the trend is to find increased numbers. In reality it's nothing more than political correctness run rampant helping to destroy any remaining cohesiveness to society so that the only thing left to help you is big government.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join