It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does "Deny Ignorance" Mean To YOU???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I have pondered this...I ask the good people of ATS to tell me what they think the phrase "DENY IGNORANCE" means.

The definition of ignorance...

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant. Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

The definition of denial (deny)...

Denial, in ordinary English usage, is asserting that a statement or allegation is not true. The same word, and also abnegation, is used for a psychological defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.

The subject may use:

1) Simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether

2) Minimisation: admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalization)

3) Projection: admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility by blaming somebody or something else.

Now it could mean that if you come across people who are ignorant that you should deny them access to your rational thought process.

It could mean don't be ignorant and deny yourself the ability to see rational thought.

Maybe it means deny that you are ignorant.

Please, enlighten me.

BAW33
edit on 12/5/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, your question is what made me choose the by-line between my Member tag and my screen name to the left. I think Deny Ignorance means we simply deny a lack of knowledge a place in our lives. It doesn't mean we know everything, of course...Just that we seek out (put the effort to learn) what's true and where it fits, share that. Just one bunny's humble opinion.

Nice thread to think on.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks Rascally Wrabbit, coming from you that is quite the compliment...I have seen people use this in their post and wondered what context they were using it in. I appreciate you sharing.

BAW33

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I just posted a message with deny ignorance as my last comment.

Deny Ignorance - my definitions

To ignore your own prejudices and see both sides of an argument.

Educate yourself and refuse to accept your own preconceived notions exclusively.

Learn with an open mind and you will deny ignorance.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

To "Deny Ignorance" could also be taken as to deny a place in the world for ignorant thinking by doing all we can to enlighten those who have not the knowledge of what is true and real to the best of our ability.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Here's how the ATS motto is defined:

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within. More than a slogan, our members have embraced the motto as our collective cultural standard, demanding all to aspire to a higher standard. These simple two words have galvanized a broad membership that spans the spectrum from highly speculative conspiracy writers to staunch doubters. The result is a unique collaboration of diverse individuals rallying under this simple statement to learn from each other, discover new truths, and imagine new ideas that expand our minds.

This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.

It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement against the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the social disease of history. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In Hillbilly terms, I just look at our gathering of folks, as those who are willing to challenge their own points of view, basically willing to accept that as an individual, I don't know everything... to think I do, would be ignorant, and severely limit my opportunity to grow, learn and understand the world around me.

Am I always right? of course not, on the other hand, Am I always wrong? I am willing to let the members of ATS make that decision...

Sure it's difficult at times, but if the goal is to Deny Ignorance, there is going to be plenty of bumps in the road

A wonderful global initiative, to draw on the wisdom of folks everywhere...

Thanks Al Gore for the internet!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

And/or stop thinking that the world is going to end on Dec 21 2012.

Great post op.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

And especially that!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by earthalien50

Well there you go...but what context was it used in, where you telling someone who posted or were you using it for your perspective? This phrase get's thrown around a lot...and I have seen it used in different context...most of the time it comes across as an insult...to me anyway...that is why I posed the question.
edit on 12/5/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

edit on 12/5/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I plead the 5th...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I was hoping one of the BIG WIGS would chime in, I am honored at your presence, I would be denying ignorance if I did not say so. I agree with the principle that the motto puts forth...I am curious though, how did this become the motto in the first place, was it a collective effort or an advertising slogan? Who was behind the motives involved in the motto?

BAW33

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Thanks...my motto is simpler...Live life one day at a time and have true love in your heart.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

IIRC, the motto was authored by an ATS member, the result of a contest from WAY ..WAY.. back when our membership was much smaller...

Hold this spot... I am going to do some digging to see if I can't find a thread on it.. have to put on my dust mask and boots.. it's buried deep

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

So of my choices postulated this would be the closest fit, right?

It could mean don't be ignorant and deny yourself the ability to see rational thought.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Your spot is in no danger, BOSS, you are the KING of this thread.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33

So of my choices postulated this would be the closest fit, right?

That looks like a good way to approach it, in my book...

I couldn't find the contest but I did find this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

off to clean my boots and grab some fresh air

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Thanks again for your contribution and enjoy the fresh air. Might want to wait until after the walk to clean the boots though...just saying

edit on 12/6/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

No problem, thanks for posting the thread, it's been a long while since the motto surfaced... and for most of the newer folks, it's just two words... when it's actually much more than that, I still agree with what tjack authored back in the day.. before my time actually.. but in context, when I came on board, ATS had 13517 members...
h ttp://web.archive.org/web/20040607163312/ht tp://abovetopsecret.com/

Fast forward to now.. 274,160 members...

An amazing ride so far, I for one am not looking to get off of the ride... This place is full of brilliant folks, sure there may be some noise now and then, but if you keep the motto in mind, and maintain a civil approach, it's still pretty smooth in my opinion..

lose the spaces on the archive link..

edit on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:34:15 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I must confess my ignorance here ...

lose the spaces on the archive link..

Not sure what you meant...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Copy the URL link he provided, paste into your browser bar - delete the open spaces ( IE turn "h ttp" into "http" ) and then click enter,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join