It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello and thank you from a pretty old man .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I've been putting off writing an introduction because I'm new to computers . I got my first one about five years ago as a gift and have used it and the one I have now just to find out information . Just to let you know I have never in my entire life learned how to type and being a spoken word kind of guy it's harder than I thought it would be . Also I have never used windows , I started with linux ( fedora 7 now on fedora 17 ) and I hear that that might have made it even harder yet . The thank you comes from the fact that I'm an old man with some health problems who's stuck in a pretty small Texas town taking care of an elderly nearly deaf mother with alzheimer's , so I'm really stuck. ATS allows me to do a bit of exploring despite my circumstances and I know it's a good site because I got referred to it by a cryptic message from jet propulsion labs while I was researching a deep space probe called clementine . ( if you can't trust those super-nerds , who can you trust ? ) Anyway I,m fairly conservative , pro Israel , EXTREMELY-anti everybody who's trying to murder us for no good reason but I still love the free expression of ideas above all else . p. s. can anybody please tell me how to reliably do paragraphs ? I don't seem to be able to do it .

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thudpuddy

So...are you pretty or old?

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Welcome thudpuddy!

Have you tried downloading Dragon? My father hates typing so he uses it to just talk to his computer. He has a heavy Texas accent and it translates him pretty good.

Also, if you hit "enter" a couple of times at the end of the paragraph that will start you a couple of line spaces down.

Enjoy the forums!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Dear thudpuddy,

Welcome to ATS. One of the posters made a recommendation regarding software that you might feel more comfortable using, ATS can be helpful. As for making a paragraph, hitting the enter button will cause you to drop a line. The site has a pretty large age spread, I am in my 50s and have corresponded with a woman in her mid-sixties. I don't know who the oldest person is on ATS; but, you are truly not alone. You should remember that some of the members are kids, at least as young as 16.

There are a lot of great young people here and some of them are very informed. Rather than playing video games, they are researching the world and it is very exciting to see that. You cannot tell the age of someone just by seeing their words, as a consequence it is good to remember that you have more life experience than many here, so be gentle until you know who you are dealing with. Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Hi thudpuddy, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Try our Ask ATS with the search words of your choice.
I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from and add your thoughts and opinions too as well.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Welcome thudpuppy from another older texan in a smallish town near a big city. Glad you are able to take care of your mother. I would have loved to take care of mine. Actually, I believe the fact you are caring for her will make any loss much easier...no guilt.

Hope you enjoy your time here. Our beliefs are a little different...mine are ever evolving and changing. You may find this forum opens your mind to other ideas, and, I think, that is the purpose.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I just came here to see what a pretty old man looks like. You don't really sound that pretty. Can you post a picture?

Edit: By the way, I'll be 62 the day after the End of the World--which, as you probably know from the many threads here, will be on the 21st. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I was looking forward to becoming a pretty old man myself. But as ugly as I am now, I don't think I could have lived long enough in any case....[

edit on 12/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Welcome thudpuddy, hope you enjoy your stay.

If you want to start a new paragraph, just hit your "enter" key a couple of times. Each time you press it, it will take your cursor down an entire space line...

Example:

Type something (*press enter key here*)
(*press enter key again*)

Type something again.... you'll end up two space lines down from your last typed sentence with a blank space line in between them.

Like...

This...

Hope that helps !

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hello...hope you enjoy it here!

Sometimes it's wonderful, sometimes frustrating.....just like life!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
God Bless you Sir .... Welcome ...

PS - Just to clarify .. The 'RETURN' button is the huge big chunky button with the arrow on it at the right side of the main keypad .. just a few keys to the right of the 'P' and 'L' buttons ...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
or this may be of help ...

from here ...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
welcome to the site.Lots of interesting topics here.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Hello, and welcome to the site! Don't sweat the typing. You got your message in just fine. Paragraphs aren't hard, just hit "enter" each time you want to move to a new line.

There is indeed a lot to read on here. Always something interesting!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Hello Thud, welcome to ATS.
I think you are going to really enjoy the variety of topics and opinions
that you will find here on ATS. As far as your typing goes why it looks
pretty good to me. It would have taken me at least a half hour and a lot
of colorful metafores to do that.
And one more thing, old is just a state
of mind. I am in the geezer catagory at 69 and enjoy everyones opinion
young and old.Looking foreward to your threads and have a good time.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Welcome to the site op,

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm pretty old also and realize that getting older is mandatory but growing up is optional. I am not pro Israel. You need to pay close attention to this video; it has a message that everyone needs to pay attention to.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
We can give you a pass on the "old" part but I'm afraid you will have to substantiate the "pretty" part. As is often said at ATS, "pics or it didn't happen". Seriously, how do we know you don't look like Earnest Borgnine's long lost twin?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Welcome Thudpuddy. Love the name.
) Hope you enjoy yourself here as much as most of us do. I will warn you though, this is the most addictive site I have ever participated in and if you're ADD for your benefit set a timer when you log on or you'll be here for days and swear you were abducted due to unexplained time loss.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Howdy Texas..from the Great White North, in fact it gets so ccold here we had to come south one time and burn Washington DC to get warm.....

Old timers are in great demand here......gotta keep the kids thinking straight.......prepare for a whirlwind ride and enjoy!
Regards....s

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Welcome to the best group of friends that fall out ever created.
Hold on to your tin foil hat it can be a rough ride, but oh so rewarding in the end.
I didn't read all the posts but to do the paragraph thing hit the full stop (period I believe yo call it) then hit enter once or twice depending on how much of a space you need.

Like this.
Or this.

See. Enjoy time with us

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join