It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Ending Sex Segregation is Healthy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I used to think that males and females were "wired" differently, but I have come to the conclusion that I was completely wrong after moving from a liberal area to a conservative one in Idaho.

I think the difference between males and females comes from the fact that they are purposefully segregated from each other by society. In a conservative society, the male goes to work, comes home and watches television or whatever while his wife stays at home taking care of the house.

This means that the man is going to be used to thinking linearly - and probably not used to thinking in the moment. However, the woman will be thinking spatially because she doesn't have linear tasks to complete.

She will have the freedom to work on creative projects and everything, but not financial freedom. The man will have financial freedom, but no time to work on creative projects.

In addition, this sex segregation means that males and females cannot connect *simply* because they DO NOT share the same life.

As someone who wants to marry a girl that I connect to, and as someone who wants a balance between free time and work, between masculine and feminine, I find sex segregation a direct conflict to that resolution.

Not only that, but it makes relationships about power instead of getting to know yourself and each other. The woman needs the man for money and the man needs the woman to feel connected to his creative side. Not only are they not able to communicate with each other, but they are trying to defend each other from attacks.

End this and I guarantee you a lot of problems will be solved for individuals and society.
edit on 5-12-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I agree with this! And I want to extend it to restrooms!

Women's restrooms always have nice walpaper and couches and vending machines (for I have no idea what)! Us men have been getting the short end of the public restroom stick for FAR too long!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

Well, I can't tell if you are joking, partially joking, or serious but yes, that is one example where you can see the impact.

link   
Isn't there quite alot of research supporting the idea that mens and woman's brains develop and function quite differently?

link   
As a guy, I can say that I am definitely a spatial thinker. Maybe even a spatial cadet

As always it is important to achieve the balance in both. Such as liberal and conservative, both have outstanding as well as negative qualities... Once again, it all comes down to balance.

So covering that, I'd then suggest male and female are far different for various other reasons on a chemical level, rather than environmental/social, though socially and chemically share a very fine line.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

That is true, but I believe it is only a correlation between sex and brain development. The root cause could be somewhat related to cultural differences causing brain development to differ.

However, on the other hand, I think there is definitely some proof that males and females do have a tendency to think in certain ways, especially as children.

I just think that when men and women grow up, they should be able to free themselves from the shackles of adult sex segregation.

I think it could lead to a healthier society - however, I also think that it would be a bit chaotic until things figured themselves out. This is where it's important to figure out how girls and guys are wired differently in order to reasonably accommodate that.

Liberals tend to disregard that last part, while conservatives tend to segregate more heavily. I think moderation would be great.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

That's pretty cool! I was when I lived in Washington, but being around people in Idaho is changing that - apparently, I am affected by my house-mates.

I guess my argument is more about how it is healthier to end sex segregation - I don't believe in forcing religious institutions to, or forcing people to. I am more about showing why it is a good idea to give people the option to live the kind of lifestyle they wish.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
I agree with this! And I want to extend it to restrooms!

Women's restrooms always have nice walpaper and couches and vending machines (for I have no idea what)! Us men have been getting the short end of the public restroom stick for FAR too long!

It's because the short end of the stick sometimes is too short to not piss in the floor. We would screw it up for everyone.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I think the difference between males and females comes from the fact that they are purposefully segregated from each other by society. In a conservative society, the male goes to work, comes home and watches television or whatever while his wife stays at home taking care of the house.

What?

There are plenty of agressive female business owners that are conservatives. Society does'nt dictate that they "belong in the kitchen".

If anything liberal women fill that role. They are usually poping out one child after another, are on welfare, WIC, and every other form of governent assistance.

This isnt the 1950's anymore.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

It's 1950 in Idaho.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
i have a friend who is 'two-spirited' or transgender, and it is HELL for her to even go to the toilet, because either one she goes into, she gets ridiculed for looking like the opposite sex.

we are full of both masculine and feminine, yin and yang... each complement each other... why must we put ourselves into little boxes? i mean, who cares really, what's in your pants except your partner...

new topics

top topics

join