join

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Who's your friend?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

and you wonder why westerners think think anime is stupid?

No, we question your taste in anime.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ah yes goku....the man with a pure heart

This was also my childhood

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
dubbed anime just sounds stupid.
Try saying that about Black Lagoon, I dare ya.

As for DBZ (and DB; didn't really watch GT), hell yeah. Never judge a book by it's cover. I didn't exactly grow up with it, but it still inspired my conviction, to be a good and compassionate guy without being a sissy about it, and interest in martial arts, among other things. It was also the inspiration for stuff like One Piece and Naruto, which I'm also watching.
Speaking of Naruto, the fillers make me rage and Sasuke is a douche character, but I like the rest and love the music.

Grew up with anime like AKIRA, Robotech (SDF: Macross), Ninja Scrolls and all that other good stuff we got in the 80s/early 90s. Childhood was full of awesome and life still is, thanks Japan.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Sasuke is a douche character precisely because of what EVERYTHING is leading up to. The author had to create dozens of intense layers for all of his characters so the emotional climax will hit the viewers like an atomic bomb to the heart and brain, blasting us away with a disbelieving WHHHAAAAAATTTTTT?!?! that leaves us dazed for an hour and a half before we finally wake up and realize it's all over.

Or something like that.
Seriously, Sasuke is shaping up to be the ultimate opponent of the entire series. That's the reason for his character - he has to be the Anakin Skywalker of the shinobi for the final sequence to play out right. Because either he finally comes to his senses...or both he and Naruto will die.

It can't end any other way.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WiindWalker

lol, I dont think that believing DBZ is "nonesense" qualifies somebody as a "skeptic"

Besides, where are you hearing all this criticism?

A source might help, if your trying to make come sort of counter-argument.

I know a lot of people have nothing but good things to say about DBZ. Personally I think its a great show based off a classic Magna, with amazing Sci-fi elements.

edit on 6-12-2012 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by whyamIhere

Who's your friend?

I will U2U you his name.

He's is a Nationally known comic.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Dragonball and Dragonball Z has great character development. From enemy to friend. There are so many memorable scenes from both, it is hard to say that it isn't an amazing anime (have to admit the boo series was boring though).

I am a little sad that in all the replies about other anime people liked that no one mentioned Berserk. They only finished the first half on DVD but the whole series is in print ( which I have have unfortunately never finished,) If you havent ever seen it you should, the first half is absolutely incredible. There was also an online petition a few years ago to try and have the second half produced, but it seems that it never made any headway.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

My wife was looking over my shoulder when I came to this site to check uin and see what's up today and she caught the title of this post before I. she knows what this site is about tand that we "b*tch about politics a lot" here, but she was very confused with the title of this post.

"Ummm... What's a Dragon Ball Z skeptic?"

Was her response and I have the same question. Not liking something does not qualify one as a skeptic. Questioning the validity of something does. I think it would be kind of hard to be a "Dragon Ball Z skeptic" since we cannot deny that the show actually is very real. lol

My wife and I both like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, we grew up on it and are now raising our kids on it. Even though my wife is one of those huge anime fan kind of people she still likes the Dragon Ball series'. Our only complaint, which is the same from both of us, is that it takes too long for anything to actually happen on Dragon Ball Z. I swear, it feels like they spend multiple episodes on one move in a fight...

Dragon Ball GT was disappointing.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Anundeniabletruth because: addition

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by WonOunce
Dragonball and Dragonball Z has great character development. From enemy to friend. There are so many memorable scenes from both, it is hard to say that it isn't an amazing anime (have to admit the boo series was boring though).

I am a little sad that in all the replies about other anime people liked that no one mentioned Berserk. They only finished the first half on DVD but the whole series is in print ( which I have have unfortunately never finished,) If you havent ever seen it you should, the first half is absolutely incredible. There was also an online petition a few years ago to try and have the second half produced, but it seems that it never made any headway.
Berserk is like the best manga and was my main inspiration to write stories. I wish they continued the series as well. The build up to the horrific end of that arc was brilliant.

I haven't seen the new movies yet because I'm waiting for all 3 to be done.
edit on 6/12/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

I seriously love Berserk though.
edit on 6/12/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well, hopefully, but I don't really see how he can top Pain as coolest villain (my opinion) unless he really changes. Pain was awesome and had an interesting ideology, while Sasuke seems to be driven by revenge and power, which is boring.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Boring? Haha. He's the living embodiment of the most powerful negative emotions a human being can experience. He's a metaphorical stand-in for the dark depths of the heart. Naruto, on the other hand, is honor and duty and love and friendship and confidence and determination and everything that gives us the strength to stand up to our nightmares.

It's impossible for Sasuke to be boring. He's the darker half of the human spirit. You haven't looked deep enough into who he is. And honestly, I don't think he's evil. I just think he hasn't looked deep enough either. And I think he's afraid of those soft tender emotions, because they're the weakness that shattered him with the death of his family. He's afraid of confronting those demons.

That's his real weakness. Fear. He's gone to fantastic lengths to ensure he never has to be afraid. You don't find that interesting? That's fascinating on so many philosophical levels...Sasuke is a Rubik's cube. I like him - clinically speaking, of course. He makes an intriguing puzzle.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Absolutely agree! So happy I have internet at work and now I can re-watch the saga.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I don't like to separate DBZ and Dragonball they are the same series, that being said Dragonball by far is one of the greatest animes of all time.

The only real problem with the DBZ part of Dragonball is that its too long and that after the Frieza saga there is no real point to the series anymore other than to further expand on the characters. Frieza is presented as the most powerful being in the universe and the ultimate adversary of Goku, so all the other seasons of the show after have much less of an impact, thought the android and cell sagas are still decent, I think by then the show had run its course.

There are anime's who have taken the formula that Dragonball made popular and perfected it, like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

In my opinion anime in general has far better lessons than any other genre of cartoons, because they don't treat children like idiots who have to be coddled. Every child should aspire to be like Goku, he is the perfect cartoon role model (same as Naruto who has the power to punch people and make them his friend).

Well, hopefully, but I don't really see how he can top Pain as coolest villain (my opinion) unless he really changes. Pain was awesome and had an interesting ideology, while Sasuke seems to be driven by revenge and power, which is boring.

I agree Pain was by far one of the best villains ever created, complex, amoral, unbelievably powerful. But I do not think Sasuke is really driven by revenge anymore, more so than he is by hatred, which is the polar opposite of Naruto's motivation which I think is the point.

If you like complex villains you should watch Hunter X Hunter, great show.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)
edit on 6-12-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beanandginger
Have you tried seeing a therapist?

It seems DBZ (whose target audience is about 7-10 year olds) has become a suitable replacement for something missing in your life. You seem fixated on it's importance which lends one to think that you are using it to compensate.

I'm not trying to be derogatory or put you down. A little self examination might be in order to help you understand why you are so fixated on anime and BDZ.

Actually no. You are entirely wrong on both counts. DBZ is a very very spiritual show. And it has helped me greatly on my spiritual path in life. The show is NOT targetted to children, but EVERYONE.

Let me get make this perfectly clear. If majority of the people on this planet watched this show, I would almost guarantee that a majority of the wars would cease. This show teaches a lot about being a decent human being in many aspects. Many many people really need to learn these lessons and find a greater purpose for themselves in life, rather than just being "dust in the wind", greedy and downright cruel individuals.

Right now we are on the brink of total self annihilation due to arrogant, greedy and selfish individuals that have no self purpose other than to have lots of money and make innocent peace-loving people suffer.

I have met many people that could learn a lesson or two about loyalty, honor, respect, pride, kindness and above all else understanding.

And yes, before anyone says anything along the lines of this just being an anime show, let me ask you. Where in the hell is this being taught? Sure as hell not in any schools that I know of. And sure as hell not on TV. And a majority of the parents nowadays have no self dignity or courage to teach their children these lessons, nonetheless THEMSELVES.

All I am saying is that you cant really find these lessons anywhere else nowadays, and it is really sad. The mainstream media only focuses on the negative. And most of the movies are illiminatti ran anyhow, it's sickening.
edit on 6-12-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
This is my youth right here.

Nostalgia d hard, thanks.

Not a problem my friend. Always remember that fighting spirit you have within you.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
In case anyone wanted to know how this continues

This video shows Goku, and how he remembers that if he does not defeat Freiza, all of his friends, the Earth and the Universe are going to die at the hands of the tyrant.

Kind of reminds you of someone doesnt it? Maybe it's happening right here on Earth?

edit on 9-12-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is interested. They'd rather discuss the end of the world, which politician made what Freudian slip, and the latest in nuclear facility collapses.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I don't think anyone is interested. They'd rather discuss the end of the world, which politician made what Freudian slip, and the latest in nuclear facility collapses.

I agree. But I am still going to try.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiindWalker

I agree. But I am still going to try.

I am interested, I loved DB but not after DB ended,. GT was crap.
Goku was the "Jesus" of the DB world, he did no wrong. Everything he did was for the sake of his friends, family and mankind. Thats really something thats non-existent in our world as actions are usually motivated by greed.
Naruto is pretty much the same, even if his goal is a bit different (hokage) he still fights and wins for his friends.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join