It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the Skeptics who bash Dragonball Z, I challenge you

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I wached all Dragon ball original series and Dragon ball z, I just love the Goku personality especially the first episodes of dragon balls he was out of control

Before I seen any dragon ball I just thought it was a stubid kid show, but heck I was wrong, try and sit down and watch the series from the beginning. it got some very powerful personalities and great morale of life in it. I watch it all at the age of 29 and I loved it.

anime shows I recommend

Dragon ball all series
Neon genesis evangelion
Macross
Elfen lied
Naruto

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WiindWalker

Dragon Ball z is great, One Piece is better though.

edit on 6-12-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Seems like a decent show.

Don't really understand the point of this thread though. By what standard are we judging it?

I would say that the animation is pretty standard for it's time and genre. A lot of still frames with only the mouths moving, small patches of character motion, in short nothing mindblowing. So I wouldn't watch it exclusively because of the actual animation - which is something I usually don't mind doing. If you are familiar with the french animation Triplets of Belleville, you'll know what I am talking about.
Anyway. Your main arguement is that the show is about friendship, and that the quality of the stories are high. Again, I need to ask you - by what standard?
To my understanding most childrens shows, cartoons and whatnot, are about friendship. Every last one from Winnie the Pooh to Last Airbender. So I don't think that says much.
You also pointed out that it is not just a childrens show, and for that reason I think it is fair to compare it too adult entertainment aswell, and frankly I don't think it's gonna do much for me in that case. I am sure I can find more wisdom on a single page written by Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut or some other brilliant mind, than I would in an entire episode of Dragon Ball.

Anyway.. I am sure it is a fine show, and I don't think there is any reason to be sceptical about it. I am however sceptical about your statements.

Personally I think FLCL is the best anime series I have had the pleasure of watching.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Dragon Ball was better, but Dragon Ball Z kicked ass.
I saw both of them back in the late 80's.
Seen all the movies as well, which by the way my favorite character is Brolie/Tara.
One of the most epic episodes was when Freezer blew up the planet Namec and Son Goku turned into a super Saiyan for the first time. Good memories.

If you like Dragon Ball, another one was Dragon Quest, excellent show as well.
and Saint Seiya.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Im not saying its nonsense, but 20 minutes of screaming and 5 minutes of staring in shock in a 30 minute episode is brutal.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen

Im not saying its nonsense, but 20 minutes of screaming and 5 minutes of staring in shock in a 30 minute episode is brutal.

I guess it's too each his own on this one. Personally when watching from the beginning of dragonaball on through dragonballz, it's hard not to be captivated by the entire thing, considering you are watching the people you learned to know and love, die right before your very eyes.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987

Don't really understand the point of this thread though. By what standard are we judging it?

I would say that the animation is pretty standard for it's time and genre. A lot of still frames with only the mouths moving, small patches of character motion, in short nothing mindblowing. So I wouldn't watch it exclusively because of the actual animation - which is something I usually don't mind doing. If you are familiar with the french animation Triplets of Belleville, you'll know what I am talking about.
Anyway. Your main arguement is that the show is about friendship, and that the quality of the stories are high. Again, I need to ask you - by what standard?
To my understanding most childrens shows, cartoons and whatnot, are about friendship. Every last one from Winnie the Pooh to Last Airbender. So I don't think that says much.
You also pointed out that it is not just a childrens show, and for that reason I think it is fair to compare it too adult entertainment aswell, and frankly I don't think it's gonna do much for me in that case. I am sure I can find more wisdom on a single page written by Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut or some other brilliant mind, than I would in an entire episode of Dragon Ball.

Anyway.. I am sure it is a fine show, and I don't think there is any reason to be sceptical about it. I am however sceptical about your statements.

Personally I think FLCL is the best anime series I have had the pleasure of watching.

Fair enough. I guess I should have taken into consideration of people who may have seen other animes but not DBZ. I think animes in their entirety can teach such lessons, so it would be quite an expected thing to see that you were not effected as much as those who have not delved into this genre of the arts.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Dragon Ball z is great, One Piece is better though.

edit on 6-12-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

Ya know, I am an avid watcher of One Piece myself, and I have to agree and disagree with this statement. I love One piece, and it is actually known that their storyline was influenced by DBZ in itself, so that right there puts a +1 on the record books for the show.

However, DBZ will always have the "rewatch" factor to it that makes it such a great show. One Piece is great no doubt, but as far as epicness and realism, nothing can touch DBZ I am afraid.

edit on 6-12-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
DBZ, naruto, bleach even a cowboy beebop.
basically you guys like crappy anime (and you even watch the dubbed versions).
and you wonder why westerners think think anime is stupid?

How dare you speak ill of Cowboy Beebop. *shakes fist*

I'm sorry most of us don't understand Japanese.

Some of my favs are Death Note, Steins;Gate, Gantz, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rainbow, and stuff like that. Oh and Kaiji kicks ass, along with One Outs.

So what anime do you like out of interest?
edit on 6/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Lol okay this is just stupid.

Number one, I DONT watch Dubbed Naruto, Japanese all the way!

Number Two, Bleach in Japanese all the way!

And.... Number Three, didn't care too much for Cowboy, but have seen it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987

Totally agree with your post

How can the OP "call out skeptics" of a show?
You either like a show or you don't... there's no skepticism involved.

I LOVE Anime and have watched them since the 80's.
Manga used to be my favourite back then and I still have a soft spot for some of the old one's but I also love the Ghibli stuff too... animation is such a great medium because so much can be done and the only limit is the artists ability.

Also things like Persepolis and Triplets of belleville, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm... all fantastic stories with plenty of depth... I could go on and on.

As for Dragonball Z.... meh, never seen it and probably never will.... same with pokemon and the like.

Just not my cup 'o tea

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiindWalker

Lol okay this is just stupid.

Number one, I DONT watch Dubbed Naruto, Japanese all the way!

Number Two, Bleach in Japanese all the way!

And.... Number Three, didn't care too much for Cowboy, but have seen it.

Rikku is correct, DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach are all typical "mainstream" anime watched by westerners, and they are typically geared towards children and teens. But it is hardly valid to lump Cowboy Beebop in with them, that's complete blasphemy. You obviously didn't care much for Cowboy Beebop because you only seem to like anime which revolves around endless battles.

Now don't get me wrong, DBZ is super awesome and I still like it as an adult, and in it's own way it is a magical piece of work with lots of great lessons to be learnt from it. But it is far from the best... for example if you want an anime which contains great lessons on friendship and adversity, then Rainbow outdoes anything else I've seen. If you want an anime with an epic story line, Death Note or Steins;Gate are some of the best.

If you want an anime with really deep philosophical messages then stuff like Evangelion is the way to go. If you want an anime with epic violence and intensely disturbing crap then something like Gantz is the way to go. If you want something which contains really great life lessons in general then Great Teacher Onizuka definitely comes out on top. Or if you want sexy girls and blood, Highschool of the Dead or Black Lagoon lead the way.
edit on 6/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I watched DBZ when i was in grade 6-7... it was an awesome series, for many it was a stepping stone into Anime world...

For me it was Ninja Scrolls(Movie) but i learned to love DBZ because their dubbing didn't suck, Go CANADA!.

Those Haters that hate are 1) didn't watch it 2) Much younger generation that likes to get on the haters bandwagon for no reason other than "to be cool"

But i gotta admit even tho there was no fillers, the NA version was STRETCHED, the Spirit bomb shouldn't have taken that longer, it was much shorter in JP version, and much much shorter renewed Kai version.

DBZ Fans shout check out Dragon Ball Abridged Series on Youtube. its funny as heck!

*Krillian throws Destructo Disk*
Vegeta: No Nappa! its a trick!
Nappa: But Vegeta.... Trix are for Kids...
Vegeta: What...Nevermind Nappa, Catch it with your teeth.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

i recently went thru all the dragon ballz, gt etc episodes. it really is a damn good show.. but the american versions are meek in comparison to the jap versions with subtitles.. more detail.. more depth, more knowledge.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I have a complete DBZ collection that started with VHS I have been into it for so darn long. Its a great show with my favorite element being the dragons themselves. And Master Roshi....such a pimp, lol. That being said, its but a mere drop in the bucket compared to the rest of my collection. I am a big anime fan from the days of sitting home as a little tike watching Pole Position and Speed Racer and Galaxy High to Sci-fi channel's saturday morning anime. I made sure to get up nice and early for both that and MST3K.

Some of my favs: Rojin Z, Armitage, Dirty Pair, Crying Freeman, X, Samurai X, Ninja Scroll, Ninja Resurrection, Urotsukidoji, Wicked City, Vampire Hunter D, Sin, Ghost in the Shell, Robotech, Wolf's Rain, Deathnote, Dance at the Vampire Bund, Golden Boy, Galaxy Angel, FLCL....hell I even like the weird ones. Bobobo is one that has me rolling on the floor every time I watch it.
edit on 6-12-2012 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Persephopolis and Triplets of Bellville were both AMAZING films. I prefer animation over live action 90% of the time simply because in the right hands the medium can be very profound....like a picture book come to life. Story driven and visually dazzling.....when its done right. Bill Plympton is great for that.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Have you tried seeing a therapist?

It seems DBZ (whose target audience is about 7-10 year olds) has become a suitable replacement for something missing in your life. You seem fixated on it's importance which lends one to think that you are using it to compensate.

I'm not trying to be derogatory or put you down. A little self examination might be in order to help you understand why you are so fixated on anime and BDZ.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
there is a new DBZ movie coming in March of 2013, here's the link: www.dragonball2013.com...

edit on 6-12-2012 by sam_inc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
One of my best friends does 3 or more voices on that show.

I never watched it assuming it's just for kids.

I had no idea the show was popular...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I'm an "older" member here and Ive read every DragonBall manga issue and have seen every DB and DBZ anime episode. (only the subbed version though)
I am reading Naruto every week now.
edit on 12/6/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join