It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boehner close to conceding! Ultra wealthy to pay more taxes!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Check my reply to seeker. I am aware that BOTH parties enabled tax cuts, handicaps in regulation, bailouts, etc. both parties are to blame, yes, but one party and its base ACTIVELY defend the interests of the mega wealthy vs those of the working middle/poor classes.

Boehner SEEMS to be caving against his masters' wishes because public opinion and continuing this "all for the wealthy, bleed the lesser ones" is proving to be an inhuman disaster.

If the rich paid 1960s tax rates the debt would vanish and that is FACT.

I swear, ats must be full of billionaires by the zeal most of you express in defending greedy, lavish interests while the majority of society goes to hell. Either most of you are typing from your very own yachts or from a padded room in an asylum.

Im taking a break from this forum. The propaganda is simply overwhelming.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yep.

How many businesses are already deferring Obamacare, to the workers, and those who they would have hired?

Even before President Obama signed the bill on Tuesday, Caterpillar said it would cost the company at least $100 million more in the first year alone. Medical device maker Medtronic warned that new taxes on its products could force it to lay off a thousand workers. Now Verizon joins the roll of businesses staring at adverse consequences.

In an email titled "President Obama Signs Health Care Legislation" sent to all employees Tuesday night, the telecom giant warned that "we expect that Verizon's costs will increase in the short term." While executive vice president for human resources Marc Reed wrote that "it is difficult at this point to gauge the precise impact of this legislation," and that ObamaCare does reflect some of the company's policy priorities, the message to workers was clear: Expect changes for the worse to your health benefits as the direct result of this bill, and maybe as soon as this year.

ObamaCare Day One Companies are already warning about higher health-care costs.

Short Term my arse........ Once they start increasing rates, there isn't any slowdowns. Think of how many small business owners are not going to hire people? Keep the business under 50 employee's, as not to get fined.

Wait till the Poor, have to start paying Income Tax, instead of getting the credits they were getting?

Watch.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Once again, the Republicans fold to accommodate the Dems. He is more concerned about his position than the position of the people. Too bad, because people actually believed he would hold true to what they believed in.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Enjoy your rest, when you get back you can help clarify for me some more.

Boehner SEEMS to be caving against his masters' wishes because public opinion and continuing this "all for the wealthy, bleed the lesser ones" is proving to be an inhuman disaster.
So, he's not really going against his masters' wishes? His masters want the inhuman disaster? Is the "inhuman disaster" going over the fiscal cliff?

If the rich paid 1960s tax rates the debt would vanish and that is FACT.
I'm not aware of any information supporting this, could you help? If you took 100%, you still wouldn't fix the deficit, let alone the debt, and after the first year or two of that there wouldn't be any rich sticking around to take it. The Laffer curve, you know.

Either most of you are typing from your very own yachts or from a padded room in an asylum.
Actually, my yacht has a padded cell. They let me out every now and then to look at the pretty birdies and the nice waves.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

f the rich paid 1960s tax rates the debt would vanish and that is FACT.

That is a lie a flat out lie

First off the US population was 180 million in 1960 between the current welfare rolls of SS,medicare,medicaid, and welfare that accounts for over 200 million people right there.

50 million on SS,50 on medicare,50 million on medicaid, 47 on welfare oh but wait medicaid was created in 1965

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So sorry Mr Snoopy. I hadn't seen your thread.. I was off playing Diablo III.. so I'd hate to not share my thoughts with your original thread.

What a worthless, spineless, good for nothing WEASEL of a man. He's jello in a bowl. He reminds me of the Stay Puff Marshmallow man before the Ghostbusters got to him. Jelly Fish are more meaningful. At least they STING;... Jeeze.... I have one word for this fool. FIRED! I hadn't mentioned this earlier but I caught a campaign started on another right leaning site I'm at for the removal of Boehner as Speaker in the new Congress. I'm 100% for it.

Now it's VERY important to note in my mind here, that I'm not against the guy finally getting a DROP of intelligence to not stand like a statue on ideals while the whole basis it's for is falling apart. No, the end result had to happen..although if he caves on the debt ceiling control issue, I'd think of him as a traitor. There are limits...and the Constitution doesn't do fine print...

The PROBLEM is, but the quotes??? He's making it sound like HIS idea or like he was all for this all along and really... just hadn't shared it with everyone before now. I'd appreciate him just saying that as distasteful as it may be, this is just the way it has to be to save the alternative from happening. I'd even be fine if he were honest to say his constituents and fellow Congressmen were pushing him too hard to do otherwise...

.....but to have the nerve to make it sound like raising taxes to solve this is now a solution he may as well have invented himself?? Oh.. no... he's GOT to go. Out Out Out. When is he up for re-election?? Out as speaker, then OUT of Congress. Enough with the mealy mouthed double speak...even when the ACTION is the RIGHT thing to do. They STILL can't say a thing straight or honest.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah...too bad I don't know any conservatives that happen to live in his district, that spoke with a lot of the old guard in the 80's, with a little charisma and public speaking experience (like stage acting or radio shows) that could really tear him apart in a debate what with not upholding his 2010 campaign promises to end Obamacare, his 2012 promises help create jobs and keep lower taxes...I mean, gee when I voted last month the guy ran completely unopposed just as he did in the primary last spring...I mean losing the Speaker of the House title would really make him vulnerable...yep, nobody like that around here

Boehner is a background politician. He can get work done by making deals and concessions which is the cornerstone of politics, but isn't a true leader when the spotlight is on. As Speaker he could really put the screws to Obama and the Democrats (especially Harry Reid for tabling all Republican bills that have came to the Senate since 2010) but he isn't. Unfortunately he is up against a president that wants to play politics. Boehner has already lost. If he caves he loses face for the party and if he wins, he becomes responsible for any dip in jobs or the economy...and if it is a draw, he gets blamed for going over the fiscal cliff. No matter the outcome, Republicans and Boehner get the blame and Obama gets another free pass from the MSM.

Never mind that Congress has been without a budget since 2009. Never mind that the small tax increase would only produce about 8 days worth of revenue at the current rate of spending. And never mind that jobs creation is going to decrease as Obamacare is the primary financial concern of both businesses and State budgets (covering more people on Medicaid than ever before) and we still do not know who exactly (State or Federal taxes) is paying the stipends for those that are within 400% of the Federal Poverty Level for their income. But yes, it has all come down to Boehner and the guy has entered a gunfight with a spoon because he isn't politically savvy enough to have carried a knife.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Paying more taxes is a mere drop in the bucket, and will not do an iota of good to remedy the fiscal malfeasance that has plagued Washington for decades. If anything, the government ought to be tightening their bootstraps first, and working toward balancing the budget! Then, if more revenue is needed? Raise taxes! They have not done anything on their end regarding the spending and budget, but want to raise taxes? What if this shot in the dark does not work? And it won't. Go ahead and tax the rich, and after that the middle class. When everything is taken from them? Tax everything that walks or crawls while they are at it! Heck, why not nationalize industry as well? This whole fiasco is just more political theater. In fact, they are just throwing money away if you ask me. There is no method to the madness in Washington. The spiraling deficit should have been priority one, but it is not. Government continues to grow, and people get poorer.

They have not made any of the hard decision about the budget, and have not been honest about one of the greatest threats this generation and generations to come will face if the government spending and waste is not taken into account as being the top priority. What more can I really say, but it looks as though we are doomed! I regret being so morose about this topic, but I think this is just another last ditch effort to buy some more time. Remember this, we may transgress this so-called fiscal cliff, but it will once again present itself. Until they make every necessary measure to balance their books, practice thrift, and exhibit more discipline in spending and borrowing? Expect more fiscal cliffs or whatever they want to call it. I kind of like the term "Fiscal Thermal Nuclear Annihilation." That is where we are heading. Don't need no Mayan Calender to tell us that. I suppose the going wisdom in Washington is to live in a world of excrement than man a shovel?
edit on 7-12-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Boehner has already lost. If he caves he loses face for the party and if he wins, he becomes responsible for any dip in jobs or the economy...and if it is a draw, he gets blamed for going over the fiscal cliff. No matter the outcome, Republicans and Boehner get the blame and Obama gets another free pass from the MSM.

Unfortunately, this is the absolute truth.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to keep an eye on Obama to see if he's serious about this....

"I think there is recognition that maybe they can accept some rate increases as long as it is combined with serious entitlement reform and additional spending cuts," the president said. "And if we can get the leadership on the Republican side to take that framework, to acknowledge that reality, then the numbers actually aren't that far apart."

He added that "we can probably solve this in about a week -- it's not that tough."

I wonder what Obama's definition of "serious entitlement reform" is? After Obama's meeting with Union leaders a few weeks ago, I thought he promised them that he wouldn't touch entitlements. I guess we'll soon see.

If Boehner ends up agreeing to a tax increase for the 2%, Obama better be prepared to cut some serious spending!

Now Boehner has to pick his battles.

For those who think he's "jello", is it worth seeing the tax cuts expire on all Americans and not just the wealthy? Because that's what's going to happen if Boehner doesn't agree to the increase on the 2%. That's what Obama has promised. The problem is, Boehner will get blamed for it and not Obama.

Would you prefer to see Boehner hold his ground which would ultimately raise taxes for everyone?

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
An open question.

What's going to happen after taxes are raised, the debt ceiling is raised?

If our debt continues to increase, will Obama target the top 5%? The top 10%? The top 50%?

What comes after all this?

Beezer, I don't know what comes next other than more and more taxes and spending, but it will end with Seeker1963's scenario. The final straw in the destruction of the US Dollar will come when the losses in the derivatives market gets transferred from the guilty bankers "to the people" as the guarantor of last resort for all US loans, foreign and domestic.

Monetary Control Act of 1980.

The taxing of the top 1-2% is just a smokescreen for the hidden "tax" of inflation which will affect EVERY American to their core.

The day is not far off where each of us will have to decide whether to use what meager cash we have to either buy food, put gas in your car or make the rent/house payment. Something will have to give.

Great post Seeker!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
i do not know if it has been asked but does anyone think they will actually be paying anything even if they raise the rate? i have far more faith in the wealthy's accountants, than i do in our government not leaving loop holes to be exploited.

i digress though and agree with several posts in the thread relating to the giant ponzi scheme being the culprit, in our worldly demise.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
There you have it, folks. Against his corporate handlers' wishes, Boehner inches closer to reality. Taxes MUST go up for the top 2%ers. Let the robe-tearing and gnashing of teeth begin, conservative ats'ers!

Via CNN.COM

From the article:

"Washington (CNN) -- Taxes on the wealthy are going up, House Speaker John Boehner conceded Wednesday in challenging President Barack Obama to sit down with him to hammer out a deal for avoiding the fiscal cliff.

Obama, however, continued to insist on Republicans first ensuring no tax hike for anyone but the top 2% of Americans as a first step toward a broader agreement on tackling the nation's chronic federal deficits and debt. (...)"

edit on 5-12-2012 by Snoopy1978 because: (no reason given)

How is an income of 250K a year "ultra wealthy?" That is a small business owner, a doctor, a skilled tradesman. I think a lot of people have bit off on the class envy/warfare rhetoric.

In addition, we've been told for the better part of a decade that the Bush tax cuts only helped the wealthy, now, as they are getting ready to expire, we are told that their expiration would hurt the middle class, therefore the tax cuts also helped the middle class. The discussion from the left on this has been less than honest.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

From the OP article...

He continued, "There are ways to limit deductions, close loopholes and have the same people pay more of their money to the federal government without raising tax rates, which we believe will harm our economy."

This is not new information, nor is he conceding anything. Heck, this is the same platform Romney was campaigning on. Boehner was just saying the same thing again in a different way to better market his plan to the media. If he looks like he's conceding, then the Dems will need to look like they are giving something (spending cuts) as well.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

How is an income of 250K a year "ultra wealthy?" That is a small business owner, a doctor, a skilled tradesman. I think a lot of people have bit off on the class envy/warfare rhetoric.

Yeah, what happened to all of Obama's campaign rhetoric about just raising taxes on those making $1 million or more?

From what I've read, that tax is an additional tax being proposed on top of the Bush tax cut expiration on those making $250,000 or more.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

The sad thing is that the working class rich will be the ones to be affected they actually runs the small businesses, the filthy rich in the nation loses nothing because they are the ones running the nation

Propaganda really works when people doesn't understand who actually is making sure that the population is confuse and obfuscated.

The filthy rich loses nothing, because they run the nation

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

By the time Obama gets done, we will all have a bullseye on our backs.
When the tax the rich scheme doesn't work, he'll come after the rest. Since when is 250k rich?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yeah!!! Take all the wealthy have! Just take 100% of those lazy bastards income. Then let's throw them in prison. Their money won't even run the current government for 3 months. Then what's your plan?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
An open question.

What's going to happen after taxes are raised, the debt ceiling is raised?

If our debt continues to increase, will Obama target the top 5%? The top 10%? The top 50%?

What comes after all this?

What comes after?

Well, if the GOP does not cave on the issue and we go over "the cliff" on January 1st of next year TPOTUS will institute a new break on the 98%, essentially putting the Bush cuts back in place for all making under 250k.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

First, I agree with your sentiments...and you raise a real troubling issue here that is leaving me confused if I don't just give in to the 'they're all out to get us together' which I have to really start wondering about.

My problem is this....as you note, these two (Boehner and Obama) are political critters. From their hair to their toes...they sweat politics from their very pores, I'd bet. Also, you note there are many things Boehner could do to make Obama's life miserable here and force the issue. There are....and he isn't. However...

Obama can do this too. He isn't either. The President has the authority to call Congress into a Special Session on this, against their will, and force them to sit there and watch the Holiday calendar flip past, day by day until either this Congress officially ends (as in..the newly elected one officials begins) or they come to a workable solution.

This whole idea that 'We just go off the cliff' without one titanic fight up there on the Hill just tells me both sides want this outcome, eh? As you and I both note from different directions, either side could make life unbearable for the other in lieu of this being solved.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Personally, to me hoarding is a disease that effects not just loved-ones.

Who's doing who the favor of seeking a higher quality of life, but a loved one?

Here we come to rescue your weak asses yet again...I guess we must love you.

It feels like a one way street btw.

Just so it's clear; I can't afford a nickle for each grocery bag I use...should it come to that.

edit on (12/7/1212 by loveguy because: I must be unconscious and dreaming while I type

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join