It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by Night Star

I too have Native Americn ancestory and our tribe was almost completely wiped out, not by the white men, but by another tribe!

I think its funny that when you speak from your (alleged) native-american pov, you use the term "white men".

like in a cheap western movie. "white men heapum bad"

is it trendy to have native-american blood? I want some!

I'm married to a portaguese man with that nice year 'round tan. Color is just color. No I do not

Well that's just racist and ignorant.

I'll just assume every time you talk about black folk you say "African Americans" or "People of African Descent."
edit on 8-12-2012 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

I'm married to a portaguese man with that nice year 'round tan. Color is just color. No I do not
call black people African Americans or People of African decent. You are just assuming and being rude. I am not racist. People are human beings and it doesn't matter what color or race they are.

I used the 'white man' term because that's all you ever hear is how badly the 'white man' has treated the Native Americans. None of us alive today had anything to do with that.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

This is one of those things that bugs me. If you move to China you don't just start speaking English to everyone and expect them to conform. You need to learn the language of your new host country.

Then the USA should not use English as its first language. It should be a native American Indian dialect.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Isnt America not a cultural melting pot?

Regretfully, it has become a crucible, in which the US we love is being converted into Mexico, which country I frankly don't give a sh!t about.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
this is racist and I can prove it

I've never read one of these threads about the language being spoken as

italian
french
german

etc
etc

it only pops up when the language in question is spanish

and that's because of the stereo type of the mexican illegal immigrant sucking up taxpayar benefits but not paying taxes

edit on 8-12-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Also the people suck at speaking English.

I can tell you are right, I would even say I haven't heard WELL spoken English in a while, and I have a British friend who is a language mayor and refuses to talk to common people anymore... I just tell him he's just a grumpy old man.

Regards

Walter

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
this is racist and I can prove it

I've never read one of these threads about the language being spoken as

italian
french
german

etc
etc

it only pops up when the language in question is spanish

and that's because of the stereo type of the mexican illegal immigrant sucking up taxpayar benefits but not paying taxes

edit on 8-12-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

The reason you never read one of these threads about the language being spoken as
italian
french
german
etc
etc
is because they learned English and spoke English.

We were never forced to dial 1 for our own language because of any others but the Spanish speaking population. We were never required to be bilingual and speak any other language in order to get a job in many areas, but the Spanish language. Signs everywhere are in English and Spanish in many areas across the USA.

With over 300 languages spoken here, it is the Spanish speakers who are catered to and who have changed things, not the Italians or French or German or any other language. That is why you see threads like this.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

because they learned English and spoke English.

Nothing but opinion. There are many who don't speak English.

We were never forced to dial 1 for our own language because of any others but the Spanish speaking population.

NObody is forcing you to dial 1. Your free to hang up at anytime if you don't like the way businesses are conducting their business.

We were never required to be bilingual and speak any other language in order to get a job in many areas, but the Spanish language. Signs everywhere are in English and Spanish in many areas across the USA.

Bla, bla bla...poor you. When are you going to realize that it is all a business decision? For the most part, Spanish people aren't the ones doing the hiring or hanging the signs.

With over 300 languages spoken here, it is the Spanish speakers who are catered to and who have changed things, not the Italians or French or German or any other language.

Yep and 299 languages don't lie South of us Like Mexico, Central and South America.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Yep and 299 languages don't lie South of us Like Mexico, Central and South America.

Why do I care about that? I simply don't....

I have worked overseas, had to prove I had health insurance, evac. insurance, pass language tests...just to work in a country.

Get used to the border States wanting all illegals to be legal, or go away.

MG

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Also shame on you for the Eagle, Globe and Anchor...and spewing your filth.

You know better if that symbol is yours to hold out of respect 'use'. Either you earned it or you are a fraud. I suspect the latter.

MG

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by missed_gear

Why do I care about that? I simply don't...

Really doesn't bother me if you care or not. The reality is that Spanish is a huge influence in the US because of the migration of our neighbors from the South and is here to stay.

However, that influence doesn't mean that Spanish is going to topple English anytime soon. Research has shown that by the third generation, English is the primary language. In addition, many countries are teaching English as a second language within their school systems. English will be here for a long time.

All of this talk of English only is hilarious to me. Shows that people are paranoid because the demographics are changing. This thread also reminds me of when I was in school and had to constantly go see the principal for talking a second language I was blessed with. I took my lickings proudly and kept speaking whatever language I wanted to.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by missed_gear

Also shame on you for the Eagle, Globe and Anchor...and spewing your filth.

That EGA is part of the reason you and I both are entitled to give our opinions.

Now if you will be kind enough, please shut up about my time in service and get back on topic.

My service to this this country has nothing to do with this topic or any of your business.

Thank you

Further comment about my service goes in the ---------------------------------------> TRASH

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Nothing but opinion. There are many who don't speak English.

Evidentally, there are more Spanish speakers who don't.

NObody is forcing you to dial 1. Your free to hang up at anytime if you don't like the way businesses are conducting their business

It is necessary in making important calls so, no, you can't just hang up.

Bla, bla bla...poor you. When are you going to realize that it is all a business decision? For the most part, Spanish people aren't the ones doing the hiring or hanging the signs.

A business would make that decision to reach more customers. Obviously, these people didn't understand English hence the businesses decision to include Spanish. People should also take personal responsibilty and learn the English language so that no one has to cater to them and they can not only survive but thrive.

For one language to be singled out over hundreds tells you that more of the other foreigners know and speak enough English to get by.

Yep and 299 languages don't lie South of us Like Mexico, Central and South America

It doesn't matter. If you are a foreigner and want to be a legal citizen and live here, you need to know the language of the land.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I have a very substantial Eastern Indian population here, and Asian. There are enough Asians that several shopping strips have been put up.

Not once, have I ever needed to find an Asian or indian translator.

That is why the Latins get ostracized.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

All of this talk of English only is hilarious to me. Shows that people are paranoid because the demographics are changing.

The only reason there are more of the Spanish speaking population is because of the millions who come here illegally.

Where I used to work, there were the Spanish speaking people, those that spoke French and different African languages and Asian languages etc. On and off for 8 to 10 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week I was forced to listen to Spanish. For 8 years of my life, day in and day out I felt like I left my own country.
Do you know what that feels like? I never ever chose to leave my Country and people come along and start telling the English speakers and those who speak other languages that they "have' to speak Spanish!

In spite of it driving me out of my mind, I made friends with everyone and usually bit my tongue to keep the peace.

I would never move to a Country where I didn't know the language because I suck at languages. I learned greetings, compliments and swear words in many languages to intereact with everyone,
but could never converse fluently in any of them no matter how hard I tried.

Twice my supervisor whos first language was Spanish, started important meetings in Spanish first and then English. There were only two people who didn't understnd a word of English. I was never one to make waves, was always the peace-keeper in the dept. but I stood there thinking my God, this is the USA and our language is going to come 'after' a foreign language? I was shocked and told the boss and asked him what he thought. After that we never again had a meeting in Spanish first.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I have a very substantial Eastern Indian population here, and Asian. There are enough Asians that several shopping strips have been put up.

Not once, have I ever needed to find an Asian or indian translator.

That is why the Latins get ostracized.

Exactly! We have quite a diversity of cultures where I am but mostly Latinos. No other culture has ever expected or demanded that we cater to them. I could see if they said to people, "It would be nice if you could learn Spanish.", but they don't. They say you 'have' to learn Spanish." I said, "Honey, you left your Country, I didn't leave mine."

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Six years here...

I got to know many moderators etal.

Shame that "ignorance" now prevails...also censoring. Shame on this site. Once was a place of regulated argument/debate.

But no one can call a "Spade a Spade" here anymore.....

MG

Mgy.Sgt.
IRR attachment #668

edit on 8-12-2012 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join