It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

The op is not about citizens speaking other languages, you are misinterpreting what was said to push this pc agenda crap.

The op was about a United States federal organization only using Spanish.

That is wrong. Only American should be used, or at least used first.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

The ones coming now, the illegals from Mexico specifically are only to take from government teat......meaning hardworking taxpayers.

Don't dare to compare it to the immigrants of the past who came here to be Americans and work for it.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
Hello Ya'll!

I am sure this post may SEEM "racist"...but...
I went to the social security office today to FINALLY change the last name on my social security card..(yes..it took me over 15 years to change my last name after my divorce to Mr. H)

So...I get a number...A48...I wait for 30 minutes and my number is never called.....I hear Spanish over the intercom...but never English...I wait and wait...finally I complain....the people at the FEDERAL SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE are calling ALL the number in SPANISH!!! I complain...maybe they should call the !@#$%^&* numbers in ENGLISH..you know, the PRIMARY language of the USA? (or so we think)

Not ONCE, In over 30 minutes did I hear English spoken in an AMERICAN government facility! When I was FINALLY called....the woman spoke to me in...SPANISH! I refused to acknowledge her until she spoke English.....so...my point?
What the heck is going on in America? There is even a MOSQUE in EL PASO!!! I NEVER would have imagined this....when I grew up in BFE East Texas..there was not even a CATHOLIC church, (most of the people in my old town were Baptists)
SO...what are ya'll's opinions on the destruction of our culture...and what are ya'll's opinions on how "political correctness" has destroyed our American culture.....

Or am I really a "racist" because I resent that I couldn't even understand what was being said inside an American government facility because I only speak ENGLISH....
What culture are you talking about in your tirade of intolerance?

Because America is a melting pot, America as a whole doesn't have a culture in the classic sense, outside of silly things like baseball and white picket fences.

On a deeper, philosophical level however, the "culture" of America is SUPPOSED to be about brotherly love, regardless of the color of his/her skin, his/her nationality, or his/her religious affiliations. The Constitution is indirectly intended to instill this philosophy in us all.

And you, lady, clearly fail to understand this culture. You are the stereotypical Texan. Intolerant, ignorant and totally, hopelessly misguided in your understanding of "American culture".

See, I can be intolerant too. I can make my generalizations. Doesn't feel too good, does it?

Before you respond, for the record, I am a white, middle class, non religious, politically neutral male.
edit on 7-12-2012 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellbjorn012

Originally posted by xedocodex

Diversity is a good thing

ILLEGAL immigration is not.

k, but thats not the issue .........

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by xedocodex

The op is not about citizens speaking other languages, you are misinterpreting what was said to push this pc agenda crap.

The op was about a United States federal organization only using Spanish.

That is wrong. Only American should be used, or at least used first.

Yes, using only Spanish is wrong. I was one of the many who got off topic, sorry for that. You mean English not American.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

reply to post by ShotGunRum

The ones coming now, the illegals from Mexico specifically are only to take from government teat......meaning hardworking taxpayers.

Don't dare to compare it to the immigrants of the past who came here to be Americans and work for it.

Another post that generalizes too much. I do not condone their illegal activity, but many of them are here for a better opportunity. Ive seen firsthand the work ethic, its a real shame that bad apples ruin it for everyone.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Oh, because those immigrants were European, they get a special category?

And a lot of modern immigrants do pay taxes....most of them come here to WORK.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time

NASHVILLE — The tax system collects its due, even from a class of workers with little likelihood of claiming a refund and no hope of drawing a Social Security check.

Illegal immigrants are paying taxes to Uncle Sam, experts agree. Just how much they pay is hard to determine because the federal government doesn't fully tally it. But the latest figures available indicate it will amount to billions of dollars in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes this year. One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Paycheck withholding collects much of the federal tax from illegal workers, just as it does for legal workers.

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status, yet many illegal immigrants fearful of deportation won't risk the government attention that will come from filing a return even if they might qualify for a refund. Economist William Ford of Middle Tennessee State University says there are no firm figures on how many such taxpayers there are.

The Social Security Administration estimates that about three-quarters of illegal workers pay taxes that contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare.

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

Income Tax

Every time you receive a paycheck, you probably notice that something is missing. That’s because your employer automatically withholds federal, state, and local income taxes and Social Security and Medicare taxes. Immigrants also have money automatically deducted directly from their paychecks —even those who are here illegally. But how? Well, the Social Security Administration estimates that 75% of undocumented immigrants are actually on formal payrolls and are paid by check just like anyone else. They get on the payroll by using fake or fraudulent social security numbers or social security numbers of the deceased, which are easily available from counterfeiters for a couple hundred dollars. A growing number of undocumented immigrants now file their income taxes using Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). ITINs are issued by the IRS for filing purposes only and do not provide permission to work. According to the most recent estimates, at least 3 million unauthorized immigrants filed income taxes using ITINs in 2009. (NOTE: the IRS does not report undocumented immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security.)

Sales Tax

Every time you buy something, you pay sales tax. That money goes to state and local governments.

Property Tax

Immigrants—legal and unauthorized—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).

roygermano.com...

edit on 7-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by inivux

And... wanting bi-lingual people to speak the language you can understand is judgmental... how?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej

I said american, because then we get wise arse Brits who say we don't speak english.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by Cornczech

This is one of those things that bugs me.
If you move to China you don't just start speaking English to everyone and expect them to conform.

What you say is the logix that should apply.
However, in reality it is quite different.

In China I have seen non-Chinese (actually mainly North Americans) talking in English directly, with their heavy NA accent, some even complaining that no one could bloody speak English.
Similar in Japan.
And same in France, but with British people.

Note: French people are no better, e.g. when they go to African countries and expect everyone to speak French and take care of them because these countries were once a French colony.
Same with Germans on vacation.

Whenever I am in a situation where I need to talk to a native speaker in his/her country, I manage to say at the very least "hello" in the native language, then try & apologise for my poor level in his/her language & ask if he/she speaks English.
Always worked fine for me.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
why does every other group out there think we have to bend over cater to them. why is it ok for people of african descend to play the slavery card all the time. why all the goverment agencies doing all their crap in spanish?
because all these idiotic people saying everybody needs to be politically correct so as not to hurt feelings of other groups its not the right way to be but that is why yhis goes on . that is why family guy keeps getting brought back every time it gets cancelled because peter gritthin is not going to be pc. just my opinion everyone has one and yes my grammar sucks blame who you will i spent my time studying history science and math. whats the dominant language in spain it isnt spanish.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

We won this country, it is America.

Yeah, because it was totally 'won' in all fairness, wasn't it?

An Indian named American Horse, who had been friendly to the American troops for years gave this narrative of the slaughter at Wounded Knee:

...they turned their guns, Hotchkiss guns upon the women who were in the lodges standing there under a flag of truce, and of course as soon as they were fired upon they fled...There was a women with an infant in her arms who was killed as she almost touched the flag of truce, and the women and children of course were strewn all along the circular village until they were dispatched. Right near the flag of truce a mother was shot down with her infant; the child not knowing that its mother was dead was still nursing, and that especially was a very sad sight. The women as they were fleeing with their babies were killed together, shot right through, and the women who were heavy with child were also killed... After most of them had been killed a cry was made that all those who were not killed or wounded should come forth and they would be safe. Little boys who were not wounded came out of their places of refuge, and as soon as they came in sight, a number of soldiers surrounded them and butchered them there... Of course it would have been alright if only the men were killed; we would feel almost grateful for it. But the fact of the killing of the women and more especially of the of the young boys and girls who are to go to make up the future of the Indian people, is the saddest part of the whole affair and we feel it very sorely.

Shortly after the massacre, L. Frank Baum stated his approval, in the "Aberdeen Saturday Pioneer's paper stating that: "we had better, in order to protect our civilization, follow it up and wipe these untamed and untamable creatures from the face of the earth."

That's just one account of the brutality imposed upon Native Americans by white settlers. And those smallpox blankets? Yeah, that was perfectly fair too. I won't even get into the Sand Creek massacre.

But yeah, it's okay, you keep believing that it was won in all fairness. Everything they taught you in school was 100% correct. I mean they would never tell you a biased version of the story with a patriotic slant, right?
Those people were patriots and heroes!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Did I ever say it was fair? Nooooo.

But it is reality and has been since the beginning of the human race, every single society or tribe has moved around and tried to take land.

Quit acting like this is the only place.

I am sick and tired of everything being Americas fault when the whole world is the same. Just shows ignorance of human nature.

America haters can kiss my butt, especially self loathing Americans.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

This is one of those things that bugs me.
If you move to China you don't just start speaking English to everyone and expect them to conform.

You need to learn the language of your new host country.

It's the right thing to do. And in an emergency situation you can actual ask for help or get help.
Communication is very important.
I was waiting for this exact comment to ask you a simple question:
Do you speak cherokee?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

And I just noticed you are in Canada.....care to tell me how your ancestors came about that land??

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
What country? They didn't "become a nation", as you even pointed out. They were scattered tribes, with many languages, that fought each other as often as not. They are not "Native Americans". A native American is someone born in the United States of America. Call them Amarinds or something, if Indian won't do(and yeah, these days, that can be confusing). But can we please toss out that utterly racist and elitist term "Native American"?

I really don't understand how anyone that ever studied the early history of this continent can pretend that all these many tribes were the same people. Such a claim is out of touch with reality.

There are so many things wrong with this post that I had to resist the urge to drop my computer out the window.

Countries and nations were mainly a European concept at first. Just because they hadn't established a country with a flag doesn't mean they didn't have a right to this land, and doesn't mean that they weren't the original inhabitants.

The term 'Native American' was never intended to be elitist or racist. It denotes that they were the original human inhabitants of North America. And yes, they are Native Americans, they were here before anybody else. Everybody else born in America is an American.

Apparently it is you who hasn't studied the early history of the continent. They were the same people, just living in different tribes and localities. They lived on the same continent and came from the same genetic stock. Their bloodline has been traced to Mongolians who traveled across the Bering Strait somewhere between 30,000 and 50,000 years ago. They have actually inhabited this continent for longer than white people have even existed.

At the American Association of Physical Anthropologists meeting, held here from 28 to 31 March, a new report on the evolution of a gene for skin color suggested that Europeans acquired pale skin quite recently, perhaps only 6000 to 12,000 years ago.

In today's age of technology and easy access to information, there is no excuse for ignorance except mental retardation.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

English and Spanish are both European languages, America has no native language. Well it did, but the settlers that came here decided not to assimilate to the existing culture and learn the language. Ironic?

Karma's a bitch, deal with it.

The OP has nothing to do with this, because the people that did died several hundred years ago. So why exactly would the OP be subject to any karma resulting from the actions of people he has no connection with? Your same idiotic logic is used by people who say the Japanese deserve their earthquakes today because of pearl harbor.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Canada's dirty secret:

Perhaps the most severe and yet overlooked example of discriminatory practices towards Canadians is to be found in the treatment of our own indigenous people, the Native Canadians. South Africa is not the only country where the Native population has been set apart legally, geographically and economically on a purely genetic basis. Canada also used a variety of strategies to methodically remove Native people from their lands to make way for immigrants, including actual physical extermination. Newfoundland for example, Beothuk were completely extinct 1829, in part because of a bounty system that encouraged systematic massacre.

www.tgmag.ca...

www.scribd.com...

The American prank of offering smallpox-infested blankets as a treaty offering was repeated in Canada as well.

www.marxists.org...

we can go tit for tat on evil deeds done by humans against humans for eternity.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Xaphan

And I just noticed you are in Canada.....care to tell me how your ancestors came about that land??

Well, I'm of Welsh descent, so I don't think my ancestors had much to do with the colonization of this nation. They were too busy badmouthing the English between bouts of alcohol induced vomits and chasing sheep around.

On a more serious note, I know damn well that this land was stolen, and I never said it wasn't. But I'm not the one saying it was 'won'. I admit that they got f***ed hard by European settlers and don't talk about it like it was some kind of patriotic victory. The schools here don't add a patriotic slant to it either, they just tell it like it happened.

Did I ever say it was fair? Nooooo.

But it is reality and has been since the beginning of the human race, every single society or tribe has moved around and tried to take land.

Quit acting like this is the only place.

I am sick and tired of everything being Americas fault when the whole world is the same. Just shows ignorance of human nature.

America haters can kiss my butt, especially self loathing Americans.

You didn't specifically say it was fair, but you implied it was a fair fight when you used the word "won". The word "won" means it was an honorable battle, which it certainly wasn't.

I never said it was the only place. It happened almost everywhere that European explorers came into contact with. North America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa. Jesus, even Europeans were bending over other Europeans and taking them for a ride at one point in time.

I don't hate America, nor do I hate American people.

The only point I was trying to make was that using the term "won" implies that it was a fair battle, when in reality most of it was underhanded and deceitful. I wasn't trying to lay all the blame on the USA, and I wasn't trying to say that it only happened there.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
Yeah, because it was totally 'won' in all fairness, wasn't it?

But yeah, it's okay, you keep believing that it was won in all fairness. Everything they taught you in school was 100% correct. I mean they would never tell you a biased version of the story with a patriotic slant, right?
Those people were patriots and heroes!

I'm sure like many Americans hes aware of peace treaties and promises , disease ridden blankets being given etc,etc. The thing is what battle was fought fairly......... ever?
Every nations built on blood shed and betrayl. We have been doing this to each other since the dawn of our species.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join