It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

I disagree.
This isn't new at all.
Ancient people recorded their multiculturalism.
And it didn't end with trading at ports or war either.
In fact, many ancient religions borrowed from other cultures,
and many cultures integrated conquered cultures into their own.
You can look it up.
For about 2,000 years we've gone crazy with pride to the point its driven us blind to our human history.
That fact is, at some point our ancestors crossed thousands of miles of rock, sand, dirt and water to meet others.
And now we're crying about the same thing which possibly was the drive behind our exploring and discovering new lands, ideas and ways of seeing things.
This isn't new. It's classic.
edit on 6-12-2012 by prometheuscomplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Born in Puerto Rico.....I believe is what she means. Puerto Ricans are citizens ya know.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShotGunRum

Originally posted by muse7
Looks like I'm in the Stormfront part of ATS again!

Yeah...it looks like it. It is rather disturbing.

Yeah, they should just change the name of this site to Stormfront2.com. Ive only been a member for a bit over a year, but I noticed a huge upswing in the xenophobia, racism, and other ignorance in that short time. I will probably hang around to see all the 2012 doomsayers bite the dust, no idea after that.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech

SO...what are ya'll's opinions on the destruction of our culture...and what are ya'll's opinions on how "political correctness" has destroyed our American culture.....

Or am I really a "racist" because I resent that I couldn't even understand what was being said inside an American government facility because I only speak ENGLISH....

you live in texas dear not in england,yes its frustrating ,what r you gona do ,thats the geographical and historical consiquence...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShotGunRum

Learn Spanish or get over it.

Again, that's putting the responsibility of assimilation on the host country. In what universe does that make sense? Will you go to bat in this fashion for my ethnic people and their language? I doubt it. If I go around speaking said language I'll be considered crazy and locked up.

All of us here in America should start going around speaking our ancestral languages and living within the bounds only of those cultures. How long before the country grinds to a halt?

This new ideal of forced acceptance of all things different amongst all cultures and countries is a recipe for disaster. America can work with all kinds of different people, but not like this. A strong country needs an identity of which all can unite upon. Excessive division within boundaries for the sake of some libtard fantasy is the type of brilliance that brought Rome to it's knees.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Very well put!

This is America, if you want it to be Mexico then move to Mexico.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
If you went to some places in Canada, you might hear only French spoken.
Some places in Louisiana you'll hear only creole.

Adapt. Learn. Evolve.
Become better.

Originally posted by truthermantwo
i agree, i think it's rediculous they couldn't speak english. Call your local politicians and complain. Maybe they will change something.

It's also ridiculous when someone complaining about proper use of English can not even spell "ridiculous", nor even use correct capitalization, or adhere to any of the other rules attributable to proper English.

It's interesting when people criticize others for native language usage, or poor usage of a certain second language when the critic can't even demonstrate comprehensive mastery over their own native tongue of which it's the ONLY language they know.

edit on 5-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

Wow, if I had a nickel for every 14-year old who pulled out the ole "proper grammar and spelling" card. First of all, read the context "speak". Not "spell". Secondly, writing in a language has nothing to do with speaking it. You can be illiterate and still speak properly. It's a weak argument, try to refrain from using it. It's also very cliché.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Again, that's putting the responsibility of assimilation on the host country. In what universe does that make sense?

All the people that speak Spanish I've encountered can speak English as well... unless they were elderly. But then again I lived around Peurto Ricans, not Mexicans. I don't know if there is any difference. It never bothered me hearing them speak Spanish to one another. I had two PR families that lived next to me for years. They were born American citizens just like all of us.

So basically from my perspective, I hear people whining about bi-lingual people because they aren't bi-lingual. Knowing two languages is a good thing...why hate on them? If anything they should be envious. I wish I knew two languages fluently.

It's like the dumb kids in school making fun of the smart geeky kids because they subconsciously wished they were as smart as them.

Will you go to bat in this fashion for my ethnic people and their language? I doubt it.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I don't care what the ethnic people are. If I go to a Chinese place to get food, it does not bother me that they speak Chinese to one another. It would be the same with any other ethnic group.

If I go around speaking said language I'll be considered crazy and locked up.

No clue what you are talking about. People don't get locked up for speaking a different language.

All of us here in America should start going around speaking our ancestral languages and living within the bounds only of those cultures. How long before the country grinds to a halt?

It wouldn't, because they would know English

A strong country needs an identity of which all can unite upon.

We already have that. Why do you think they make the children recite the pledge of allegiance daily? TPTB want blind nationalism. If you are born and raised in America, you have American culture pummeled into your brain.

Even each state, or area has its own culture in the USA. If you are raised in the city your culture is going to be different than someone that lives on a farm. If you live in NYC your culture is going to be different than someone that lives in Kansas.

edit on 6-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Very well put!

Exactly, but Mexico sucks so they flee. They want a better life and come here but also want to still be Mexicans in Mexico. Sure there is historical claims and what not. But revolution made this country great. People used to come here to be American, now it's only for financial exploits. We've become a transient country that no longer has a strong backbone or a mutual ideal.

From baseball and apple pie to a literal Tower Of Babel.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Again, that's putting the responsibility of assimilation on the host country. In what universe does that make sense? Will you go to bat in this fashion for my ethnic people and their language? I doubt it. If I go around speaking said language I'll be considered crazy and locked up.

I highly doubt that.

Not likely to happen. Most people do not advocate this. Those that do are in the minority.

This new ideal of forced acceptance of all things different amongst all cultures and countries is a recipe for disaster. America can work with all kinds of different people, but not like this. A strong country needs an identity of which all can unite upon. Excessive division within boundaries for the sake of some libtard fantasy is the type of brilliance that brought Rome to it's knees.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of ones cultural heritage and country of origin. I do not understand what you mean by forced acceptance.

Aslso, when you say "libtard fantasy," I assume you mean multiculturalism? Thats not what destroyed Rome.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Very well put!

It's America, a free country, so people are free to speak whatever language they wish.

White America is a thing of the past, get used to it. Diversity is a good thing, only those that are closed minded or ignorant can't see it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Financial opportunity has always been a major reason to come here. What history book are you reading?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

People used to come here to be American, now it's only for financial exploits

Between 1841 and 1850, immigration nearly tripled again, totaling 1,713,000 immigrants, including at least 781,000 Irish, 435,000 Germans, 267,000 British and 77,000 French immigrants. The Irish, with the Potato Famine (1845–1849) driving them, emigrated directly from their homeland to escape poverty and death. The failed revolutions of 1848 brought many intellectuals and activists to exile in the U.S. Bad times and poor conditions in Europe drove people out, while land, relatives, freedom, opportunity, and jobs in the US lured them in.

en.wikipedia.org...

^^^^^^
Those people came here to get a better life and escape poverty and death. They came here for financial gain, not to be American.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Many years ago, I had to conduct some business in a government office in Texas. I was addressed first in Spanish, which I then promptly replied in Japanese (my second language). The Hispanic lady that was the clerk then asked me if I spoke English, too which I replied, "do you?". Point was made, she simply assumed that I spoke Spanish due to the majority of her customers using Spanish as their primary language.

Regrettably the OP ran into a similar situation and became upset. Speaking more than one language is an asset not to be taken lightly. Texas has a large Hispanic population and heritage so it is expected to run into both languages. However, the government office should have announced everything in both English and Spanish. Two wrongs do not make a right. Addressing the issue with a manager in a polite and proper manor can work wonders and it could be just an oversight on their part that is easily rectified.
edit on 12/7/2012 by pstrron because: corrections

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Diversity is a good thing

ILLEGAL immigration is not.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
My family came here for the American Dream. But they went through Ellis island, learned conversational English, and sought out higher education. They didn't sneak in illegally, they didn't try to avoid the language, and they didn't try to push their ideals on anyone else.

They did however have to take menial jobs at first, they did have to live amongst other people of a similar situation, and they did try as hard as they could to make sure their children were coming up to the standards of American culture. They NEVER went out in the public arena and were accommodated with people catering to their foreign culture.

People in the south, west, and southwest know wtf I'm getting at. What the hell is soo hard for everyone to understand?? We can't survive as a country if none of us have a common interest. This isn't about some kinda of racism or ills of history's past, it's common sense.

Now it's time for palinka!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Very well put!

"This hur' is 'Merica, we speak 'Merican!"

I downloaded some Rosetta Stones for Spanish. It's interesting learning. I think being able to communicate in other common languages is a cool thing to add to your skill set. It is a plus on resumes too.

I would never move to another country where I didn't know the predominant language and expect them to cater to me though.
edit on 7-12-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
reply to post by Cornczech

English and Spanish are both European languages, America has no native language. Well it did, but the settlers that came here decided not to assimilate to the existing culture and learn the language. Ironic?

Karma's a bitch, deal with it.

The languages of Europe are all separated by country, genius, and all are considered native to that country. Seriously, ATS has really gained some real winners here lately.

Living in Texas myself, I can sympathize, OP, though in neck of the woods, Latinos aren't as prevalent as El Paso. I don't really care if English is primarily spoken, but it does need to be the official language, as 99% of all legal transactions, legal proceedings in court, even the citizenship test, are all in English.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

Hey, Texas belongs to Mexico. They're just taking it back. Conquer by occupation. We don't speak no stinking English. Welcome to your world.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Hey OP, now you know how the Native Americans felt when Europeans first began settling. History is repeating itself

Originally posted by Druscilla
If you went to some places in Canada, you might hear only French spoken.

Mostly in Quebec. Approximately 22% of Canadians speak French as their primary language, and most of them are in Quebec. The majority of white Canadians are of Anglo Saxon and Celtic/Gaelic origin.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join