It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
We're better off calling this country Divided States of Uniamerica

I love my English and my country. Why must I have to adopt to an another language in my backyard?

Answer: If you want a job in certain areas, you better learn real quick.

U.S. is so backwards than it was 20 years ago.
edit on 6-12-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
While I do understand where you are coming from my family colonized what is now Texas back in the 1500's. I understand that this is now America but it was Spain and Mexico long before the Republic of Texas or the United States.

When I was a kid growing up on the border people would always tell me to go back to where I came from...I'm sure the Native Americans thought the same thing about all of us.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
They are sure happy to print the tax forms in English though.

When they are asking for money they will be happy to ask in English. When they are spending it, it might be a different story as this thread demonstrates.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Ain't that the truth.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

Don't feel bad. You're not a racist, neither am I. I feel the same living in Los Angeles at times, and I wish everybody felt the same, but everyone is blind, and those that notice, well, they don't care, because they're financially comfortable.

Anyways, I read an article about ex-pats moving to Ecuador, because the cost of living was the most affordable cost in the world, and so I started watching youtube videos on Ecuador.

My research was going great, and I enjoyed watching the latin women bat their eyelashes speaking about how safe and beautifu their country was, etc etc etc. Then she said something quite alarming. She said, "Ecuador welcomes all US Ex-pat, AS LONG AS THEY DON'T TAKE OUR JOBS, AND AS LONG AS THEY STAY IN THEIR RESERVATION."

So you see, here in America, while we're bending over backwards making the latin natin great, they are busy putting us in "american" reservations in their countries, and openly mocking us by their arrogant "gringo" tax on any purchase made.

Look, wake up. It may be very likely that while we were all impressed at their batting eyelashes, they were busy robbing and looting a few of our cities.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CPAauditor

Ya think?
Anyone who tells me they're here for a better life is full of bullspit and a damn liar! They live forty to a trailer and call that expecting a better life? Yeah sending the money back home where they will then live a comfortable life after getting money through assistance and working under the table and then they won't live with forty other amigos, and all without paying income taxes and also the trailer they left, it will look just like they lived there like animals...You can always tell which ones were once migrant worker domain. Not to say all them are like that the ones truly who want a better life (I know well) they will conform to our way of living and will not go back with the money they make, those that truly want a better life, fall in love with America and would never leave!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Except... there are guys like me who are willing to work in fast food for minimum wage, but won't get hired because the managers are ESL.

And I could work in construction for considerably more than minimum wage, but most of the unions now are ESL as well.

I had an interview a couple weeks ago, and I swear to god, I felt like such a boob having to say "Could you repeat that? I didn't understand you." every 5 minutes.

And I'm not 'white'

And my region speaks pidgin English... take that as you will.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here you can find all the facts on the "gringo" tax, then when they come to the USA, they all loot and pillage our social security and medicare funds. Then they entrench themselves in government jobs (police, judges, etc), and then they bow to the mexican mafia.

I was at the welfare office, today, and even white americans are siding with this BS. I was explaining to a "wood" about how I was lynched by a LA latin beauracracy, and he said, "i have many latins friends, and he got up and left and sat next to a latino gangster." WTF

At the 4 minute and 12 second mark, you can hear her finally say with a final batting of her eye-lash. "yeah, americans are welcome in Ecuador, as long as they don't work and take away Ecuardorian jobs..." WTF!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
My great grandpa immigrated from finland and couldn't speak good english for a long while. When he first came here he didn't know it at all. He had to pick it up as he went.

There were lots of jobs. Immigrants moved across the country finding work. He did this for a couple years. Worked on farms, in mills, docks, logging camps, mines, and whatever else.

Nothing really new. I was at a local cannery once and nearly everything was in spanish.

The way to beat immigrants isn't to kick em out of hte country, it's to go to school. Nobody can beat the immigrants at hard labor. Being in this country is an adventure for them too. Just like our grandfathers, they'll assimilate and learn english (assuming it sticks around) and settle down.
edit on 6-12-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

They are required to learn SOME English and learn a bit about the Constitution and some civics to get citizenship. And also they have to sign an OATH that they have not been a member of a Communist Organization for five years prior to application.

I love it when somebody butts into a conversation without knowing what the hell the conversation is about. People who have permanent resident do not have to learn a lick of English. That is what I was pointing out to someone who had mentioned that people who COME to America are Required to learn English. I then was rebutted by said person with the English required for individuals who are seeking their citizenship. I pointed out that NOT ALL permanent residents seek citizenship therefore are not required to learn English,

Se puede hablar PURO Espanol o otro idioma if one doesn't want to become A US citizen.

Welcome to America!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Looks like I'm in the Stormfront part of ATS again!

Yeah...it looks like it. It is rather disturbing.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The USA has no official language.

Learn Spanish or get over it. You should want to be bi-lingual.

The New Mexico constitution was originally written in Spanish.

The original state constitution of 1912 provided for a bilingual government with laws being published in both English and Spanish;[46] this requirement was renewed twice, in 1931 and 1943.[47] Nonetheless, the constitution does not declare any language as "official."[48] While Spanish was permitted in the legislature until 1935, all state officials are required to have a good knowledge of English. Cobarrubias and Fishman therefore argue that New Mexico cannot be considered a bilingual state as not all laws are published in both languages.[47] Others, such as Juan Perea, claim that the state was officially bilingual until 1953.[49] In either case, Hawaii is the only state that remains officially bilingual in the 21st century.[50]

en.wikipedia.org...

We are a diverse country....

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I haven't read anything but the first post. But I work for a state agency that supplies work for people in WA and deals with unemployment but get paid as a "volunteer" through a federal government program. I feel your frustrations and as somebody that has a Spanish last name, yet speaks NO SPANISH WHATSOEVER, I CONTSTANTLY get calls and messages in Spanish which I don't understand. Probably just because of my last name yet my ancestors came from Spain to Texas in the 1830's so I'm glad to say my last name ends in "osa" not "oza", which is Mexican. Anyways the only person that speaks Spanish is white like me (except for the times I fill out different forms I claim to be a "Mexican Latino" and not a white part Hispanic male) and she grew up in Argentina in one of those european colonies which is crazy because I've always wanted to go to Patagonia. But I express the view to EVERYBODY when I teach my classes or to my co-workers that ENGLISH is our only OFFICIAL LANGUAGE, and that if these people can't understant ENGLISH, then how the hell did they end up in this country legally?

Crappy thing is that when you travel to Eastern WA since there are so many plantations there and mexican's are the new plantation slaves you see more Spanish signs then English

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
Being an Englishman myself who speaks "Proper English", i always thought that Americans spoke a bastardised form of our language anyway

I must afford you a star, even my being a coarse-tongued Illinoisan.
It appears even in the mainstream the King's muse has been
watered down to a muddy shadow. Babel has come full circle...
and multiculturalism the tool of intfrastructural downfall as well.
I quietly dread the day initiating a verbal exchange in a government
office with an employee that deported himself (gender n/s) as well as
Amanda Plummer's father. I would from the pure shock immediately and
profusely hemmorhage from every available large orifice and expire.
That causal eventuality however would likely enjoy the same probability
as one of Mr. Fitzgerald's Grand Jurys in the Dirksen Bulding to go
runaway... and get some real housekeeping done.
Ain't gonna happen, so I 'magine se hablo bot' of' 'em... sigh

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

Excuse me what part of wanting immigrants to assimilate into the country they migrate to is racist?

thank you

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hellbjorn012

I'm talking about all the racist comments in this thread. I have no clue if you have said any or not.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
Hello Ya'll! There is even a MOSQUE in EL PASO!!!

I had to stop.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Cornczech

I applaud your stance and your purpose, I am a Puertorrican woman born American my first language is Spanish,, but while I am bilingual I made sure that I speak English in public, so when somebody comes to me in Public and starts to speak in Spanish because obviously I look Spanish, I stop them and tell them to speak in English Please as this is America and English is the main language and I don't give a darn if they get offended

You know is interesting that people wants to come to the US from other countries because of better life for themselves and their families but they can not learn to speak the English language and then complain because is not interpreters for them.

That tells you that is not such thing as looking for a better living is an agenda.

This is America and English is the main language no Spanish or any other language unless is native American and that should be respected.

You were born here but Spanish is your first language. Interesting.

I stop them and tell them to speak in English

And they giggle and run away. LOL
This used to be what people did to be polite more than I think it was a gesture to Americana. There was a time when language was much more diverse than it is now. The young taught English to the older and almost everyone in the family learned except a few old folks who only went to Church on Sundays and didn't socialize. MANY families had this person in their family. I remember my grandfather spoke broken English, enough to get by but he depended on my father his son a great deal. There was a place he would go a nightclub called Spanish Joe's no doubt because everyone there spoke Spanish. People were not concerned with my grandfather speaking English. He would often come over in the evenings and stand over us while we ate speaking his broken English. Even at 15, I didn't think anything less of the man and knew that language was more difficult for some to catch onto than for others. You need to be social, have friends, someone to talk to, practice with. It isn't something you can get from a book.

I appreciate when I go to other countries and they speak English for me and I take the Golden Rule too much to heart. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Well I would have my menus in English and sure enough the waiter would dig one up for me. I am not against returning the favor to a certain extent. It is a nicety. Do we have any of those any more?

edit on 6-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The world has changed folks.
Its not about physical borders defining nations anymorte.
Learn Spanish learn French learn arabic...its fun.
Hate less ...understand more.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Not hearing English for 30 Minutes?
OK, that's a bit much.

Being angry that theres a Mosque or other languages in America and that this means the destruction of "American Culture"?...
That's also a bit much.

America has never been an "English only" country, and it's "true culture" has been that's it's been a melting pot since Europeans trekked over.

I think it's ironic though that one European people traveled to the Americas, forced the Natives to learn their Spanish language, and now Europeans from another stock are angry that the Natives don't speak THEIR European native language.
That's hilarious and sad at the same time.

No, you're not racist, you've just lived a very sheltered life.
America has people from all over the world and from all walks of life.
It's been that way for a very long time.
Good luck to you and your new wider world view.
edit on 6-12-2012 by prometheuscomplex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join