It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Verizon DVR that spy's on you!!! Camera and mic included...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So, we're suppose to accept having our DVR watch our responses to TV commercials? And than have them customized to our tastes? And this is doing us a favor??? BS... This idea is above and beyond acceptable.... Won't see the light of day if you ask me.

Verizon claims the box is an attempt to enable effective targeted ads, regardless of the fact that no normal persons wants a camera watching and listening to their every move.

Source

now.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Reminds me of what they were predicting for ITV. Here is the link. They may have been doing this all along.

www.opendemocracy.net...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

What a bollocks.

I dsagree with you, though. Even if the public outcry is above harsh, they're still going to make them. We just won't find out.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by doesntmakesense

I really hope it wouldn't come to that... If it did get out that they put these in their DVR's it would be PR suicide.

I already said F-cable and just use netflix, piff... Not like they have growing customer bases with no other options.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Who the hell would get one of those?

Imagine . . . you and the significant other . . . curled up watching some latest-n-greatest on the box when the urge strikes and for the next few minutes, you're the entertainment on the Verizon Amateur Channel.

Then, three weeks later, you're inundated with ads ranging from condom suppliers to baby clothes-n-stuff, and a thank you card from the couple down the street for whom you provided entertainment or the impetus to stick to the diet.

Seriously.

Who the hell would want their privacy infringed upon like that?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I don't care if they spy on me...let them look. This is why I dance naked in front of my Xbox Kinect...let'um watch, hope they enjoy! Grr baby grrr!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
If you're using a DVR wont your response to commercials be irritation followed by clicking the forward button three times?

The more people do to avoid advertisements the more companies try to advertise. Dont they get it? I hate ads. All ads. Every last ad I have ever seen. If there is something I need or want I will go find it. Passive consumerism is dying as it should.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Advertisers are already doing it on the internet,everywhere I go
my shopping bag shows up even on ats...it's creepy

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

For some reason, they assume we're too stupid to know when we're giving them a valuable service for fractions of penny's.

I would never put anything like this in my house, I block their ads, I avoid their marketing at all cost.

They already know what we like, where we go, what we're doing... Now they want a vocal and video record of it?

Big brother endorsed...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Your electronic devices being used to monitor you is already a real thing.

gizmodo.com...
www.lazygamer.net...

Step right up, have google guess your age, gender and language, see what kind of ads they prioritize for you!
www.google.com...

Nobody will notice the DVR worming its way in, and if they do nobody will kick up much of a fuss. Pretty soon monitoring technology will be pretty standard, and if you want something that doesn't monitor you you'll have to use outdated tech.

Edit: I didn't even mention facebook!
edit on 5-12-2012 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Go into your browser setting and look for Extensions running.

Most likely you've installed something along the way that is doing it.

I've got 2 that run, I know what they are and want them to be there. My ol'lady was getting odd pop ups, sure enough she had some odd ball extension that was allowed to run.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
Your electronic devices being used to monitor you is already a real thing.

gizmodo.com...
www.lazygamer.net...

Step right up, have google guess your age, gender and language, see what kind of ads they prioritize for you!
www.google.com...

Nobody will notice the DVR worming its way in, and if they do nobody will kick up much of a fuss. Pretty soon monitoring technology will be pretty standard, and if you want something that doesn't monitor you you'll have to use outdated tech.

What mine says

Ads on the web
Many websites, such as news sites and blogs, fund their content through advertising. They partner with us to show ads to their visitors. So that ads are more related to you and your interests, they may be based on sites you have recently visited. Learn more
This is done by using an advertising cookie that is stored in your browser.

You currently do not have a DoubleClick cookie set on your browser.

What this means
You'll still see ads, but they won't be personalized.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Comcast had already done this back in 2010. The public outcry was so much that they had to pull the devices. However, being that this is part of the "agenda" your going to see this technology reintroduced over and over again untill we quit complaining. In the end, these boxes will be in just about every house..

Which reminds me. All you people with in home surveilance (cameras in your own house) are already one step ahead of eroding your own rights. In home surveilance systems are allowed to be accessed by local and state agencies without a warrant. So when your sitting in your house. You can be watched by whomever decides you need to be watched. And you gave them that right...
edit on 12/5/1212 by foodstamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
that's why i have every cable device in my house, pointed up just to the point, before they can no longer receive the signal from the remote. that means they mostly see how much dust is under my shelf's.and for the microphones where i can i have the device as close to the speakers.

ETA: back before i got rid of my web cam i use to keep a picture of a anus in front of it. my line of thought was, that will show those assholes. then decide just best to do away with and never use one again.[ed
edit on 5-12-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Using an ad blocker is against ATS TOS or T&C can't remember which. You shouldn't admit it on here, they can ban your account for it. I have seen them talk about it, I think they are kind of serious about it actually. It means you aren't making them money. They like money.

Just an FYI.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Could always block it at the source, host files.

Funny thing is, all ad blockers sell your information... lol.

edit on 5-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
1984 anyone? hello telescreens.

and maybe if ATS didnt have adds that blockout the entire screen when you hover over them people wouldnt be using ad-blockers like myself.
edit on 5-12-2012 by MastaShake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I dislike seeing all the ads I care less about so I switch the channel.
So if I see an ad I like I will continue watching the show.
That is not such a bad premiss.

I'll have to tape over their hidden camera.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
no non no nno nnnoooo f nnnoooo
thats the biggest piece of nope ever.

thats by far the WORST idea i have ever heard.

use this instead,
arstechnica.com...

open sourced,
andriod powered,
and NOT a spy platform

xploder

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
If I would trust any company with this, which I probably wouldn't, it sure would not be the massive conglomerate known as Verizon. They own A LOT of companies, which in my mind means they may have more incentive to spy. Further, I don't like supporting mega-business when I can help it.

On the other hand, I would not be using verizon anyway. I supposedly still owe them a little money for services which they were not providing due to their own incompetence. Their broadband internet is a joke. Moreso in some places than others. Still garbage compared to their nearest competitors.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join