It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

"I've already been proven a hypocrite but I'll keep arguing anyway."

-macman: Lord of Irony

C'mon--how bad do you want the last word? Gotta work for it

edit on 12/6/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Lansing should sell Detroit to Canada and merge it with Windsor, but before that jail 90% of the elected officials since the late 80's...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by zroth

www.huffingtonpost.com...

So now it is a valid and true story, because it is reported on something else other then Fox.

This is not a valid news story.

I could find any dumbass, in any social caste, of any race to say anything for their 5 minutes of fame these days.

It is clear that government is failed. No story there either.

This is clearly a few people taking advantage of someone that is willing to make an ass of themselves.

It is far from news.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

You are right... its no longer noteworthy when the elected officials greed is no longer even attempted to be concealed, when thier honest faces are thier corrupt faces...

And its no big deal

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

"Food stamps for the poor are minor compared to food stamps for the rich". Ron Paul's own words highlight the greed of business and banks in america. Not only do I agree with him, but I actually know he is making a huge understatement.

Look at the wealth distribution in america and then tell me you are not trolling OP.

Time to end bailouts and subsidies for the rich completly, impose high tariffs on all imports, hit corporations with confiscatory taxes, etc. The companies that got bailouts and cannot pay them back should rightfuly be nationalised or at least retain the shares the government holds on them. Business must learn to be more responsible or face the consequences. Not that I agree with any bailouts in capitalism.

Also time to make unions strong again. Ronald Reagan and bush jr were a disaster for america. Bush sr was not that bad for a republican. He had some common sense in him which is rare.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Detroit is on the verge of state receivership.

Every time Detroit has gotten close to the State of Michigan taking it over, someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat, but this time it won't happen. My prediction is that by February 2013 Detroit will be taken over by the state, and all the dirtbags that have been in office, and put in positions of power will be removed.

Fresh start, but my concerns are that the mentality that plagues Detroit will never leave. I am hoping for the best situation, since I love Michigan and still believe in the City of Detroit.

Good people still live here, we just have extremely corrupt, arrogant, and ignorant leadership, in the City of Detroit.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

320 million citizens.

500k are politicians.

650:1

No one does a thing to change it.

So everything remains status quo.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

The typical Obama supporter. And yes, they fell for it twice.

The good thing, she doesn't have to worry about paying her mortgage anymore or putting gas into her car because after 4 years of Obama her house is gone and her car is gone.
edit on 5-12-2012 by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies because: Technology...

Not the typical Obama supporter, but a freeloading scumbag. Stop with the generalizing, it makes you look silly.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

edit on 7-12-2012 by DarthOej because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Secondly, Romney was right... a significant number of Obama voters were voting themselves money, gifts, handouts etc.....

Some do, but not all. As if the right does not. I am curious as to why he didn't mention the 20 billion in farm subsidies uncle sam dishes out every year to protect farmers from competition. A lot of his supporters get a piece of that pie too. Doesn't seem like free market capitalism to me. What about all the 'defense' contractors who get billions every year? Are they all Obama supporters too?

Here it is folks, the end of the Republic! Just think, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren that you were there when it happened. And if you voted for Obama, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren that you were one of the Americans that brought about the end of the Republic. I'm certain your progeny will be very proud of you!

So what about those folks who voted for every president over the last 100 years? I guess they are all innocent. Obama may or may not be the straw who broke the camels back, but he is not the sole person responsible.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

You have proven nothing.
Only really that your fall back stance is meme and high school style retorts. Your avatar really does suite you and your style.

But, I can go all day if you like.
How long can you go just with responding with nothing, instead of actually addressing the issues raised?
I bet forever, as that is again, your retreated area of comfort.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Yep, nothing to see here.
Only a Govt official, in a failing city making statements, linking back to the days of Carter, wanting the current admin to repay them back for voting a specific way, using specific language like "quid pro quo" to explain there is an established way of operating with situations like this.

Nah, no story. Go back to sleep. Oh, American Idol will be on in a bit.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthOej
reply to post by kozmo

Secondly, Romney was right... a significant number of Obama voters were voting themselves money, gifts, handouts etc.....

Some do, but not all. As if the right does not. I am curious as to why he didn't mention the 20 billion in farm subsidies uncle sam dishes out every year to protect farmers from competition. A lot of his supporters get a piece of that pie too. Doesn't seem like free market capitalism to me. What about all the 'defense' contractors who get billions every year? Are they all Obama supporters too?

Here it is folks, the end of the Republic! Just think, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren that you were there when it happened. And if you voted for Obama, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren that you were one of the Americans that brought about the end of the Republic. I'm certain your progeny will be very proud of you!

So what about those folks who voted for every president over the last 100 years? I guess they are all innocent. Obama may or may not be the straw who broke the camels back, but he is not the sole person responsible.

Ok, sorry... I thought we were talking about Obama voters. Obviously it happens on BOTH sides of the aisle - as I've stated a billion times.

As far as Obama being the "Straw that broke the camels back"... He ain't the straw, he's the whole damned bale!!! He has more than DOUBLED the national debt in 4 years and has added uncounted TRILLIONS to our unfunded liabilities. America could have continued to limp along if not for Obama. Now we're just waiting for the corpse to cool off enough to put it in the ground!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by yadda333

Yeah, because people that fulfill their enlistment go directly on welfare. Yep, just because they no longer have a job funded by tax dollars, they wither away and die.
Vets have no clue what to do once out.

Are you just incapable of having perspective? Nobody is saying that military peeps can't function in the real world, but there is an element of irony in bitching about government programs while being supported by taxpayers.

It's okay--you only support things that you can benefit from and that's okay. The rest of us understand that we live in a society, and because of that we will try to make sure everybody is taken care of.

"I like to make sweeping generalities about people but get pissy when others try do the same to me and mine."

-macman

So my being in the military makes my point moot?

I don't get free stuff man. I get shot at for a living I also pay taxes on my income which isn't lot. Lastly I'm not dependent on government. My skills as an aircraft maintainer and crewchief are marketable outside of the military and for a hell of a lot more money.

I didn't join the military for the money man.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

A lot of people have respect for the military, but this should not be construed as blanket support for all the corruption that it compromises such as having a hundred or so military bases around the world in foreign countries, having half or one-third of the budget classified(maybe ufo projects or nuclear bunkers) and a 3 million strong force during relative peace. The arabs are not our enemy. We MAKE them enemies because of our indirect occupation of their nations, especially financial imperialism. It is like saying all the brits or french were bad because of the rotten kings and queens that wanted to colonise the world; no they are not. They are a product of their government.

You and mcman are making irrational generalisations based on proven falsehoods and/or outright hoaxes of the illuminati. Time to wake up sir.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I do believe someone other then I or projectvxn brought up the Military.
Maybe go and challenge them with that last statement.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

We're saying exactly the same thing.

No one is going to do anything about it.

Americans have no backbone.

Only fear and escapism.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

There are some crazy people in positions of leadership, I am still confused to why and how they get votes.

There should be someway to keep the crazies out,
psychological testing?

Hopefully when it all comes crashing down upon our heads, we will wake up, I doubt it though, look at Egypt.

Maybe we all live in our own little alternate reality.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I don't care if people respect the military or not.

I didn't bring it up.

The user I responded to did.

The fact is, I do what I do for the people of the US. If you want an example of government dependent people who hurt this country it would behoove all of you to take a look at the 535 people who are supposed to represent the people and the states. No one is more dependent on government handouts than them.

This doesn't, however, mean that there isn't an entrenched welfare culture in this country. People have this notion that government should take care of them. Everyone from the welfare queen in Urban Detroit to the auto manufacturers also in Urban Detroit.

The problem is two-fold. We have entrenched such a dependent culture that not only do we demand more handouts from government, but we have also made it ok for corporations to do the same. People do not seem to understand that so long as we perpetuate this we will never recover from the economic slump we've been mired in since 2006.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join