It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by yadda333

Oh good hell.
Personnel in the Military work for a salary.
Welfare precipitants do not.

There is the difference. Nice try though.

edit on 6-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

There are differences, yes. But if taxpayers pulled all money from military, what would an enlistee do?? So, just like a welfare recipient, enlistees need taxpayers' help. So it is ironic.
edit on 12/6/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

Differences? Seriously, that's all you got?

Last time I checked, welfare recipients were not working six months straight on a deployment away from their friends and family, twelve hours a day, almost every day straight. The were not sleeping on a metal bunk, three to a row with so little room, you have to wake up to turn over or else you will smack the crap out of your head. Last time I checked, they were not extending or volunteering right off deployment to help people in Thailand with food and clean water after a tsunami, etc.
Those in the military also pay taxes, true story. Last time I checked, most states don't tax welfare benefits.
They provide a service for pay. Welfare recipients do not provide a service, end of story.
I don't have a problem helping people that need it, but what welfare really is, is an opiate for the masses, and the drug habit has gotten out of control.

In a time where it seems that almost all politicians are bought and payed for, when I see blatant B.S. like this woman is spouting, who has no shame whatsoever, and does not even try to hide it, I really begin to understand why our country is the way it is.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Yeah, because people that fulfill their enlistment go directly on welfare. Yep, just because they no longer have a job funded by tax dollars, they wither away and die.
Vets have no clue what to do once out.
You are SO right.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Really????
I do believe that vehicles from the 70s last a lot longer then the plastic shells being manufactured today.
Seems that the 70s was pretty good to GM.

It can't be that the Unions overreached, forcing overhead costs to skyrocket, creating an environment where the consumer costs goes up as well, thus forcing people not to purchase as much or as often/

Or maybe Detroit has just pissed away everything on social programs and Bullcrap.

Yep, it is the fault of robots.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I am so irritated with the people who voted for Obama thinking that he would take care of them. He hasn't taken care of anyone and has made it public knowledge that he wouldn't. Why would they think they are special? Because they voted for him????????? Guess what, so did many others. They're still not being taken care of.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Yeah, because people that fulfill their enlistment go directly on welfare. Yep, just because they no longer have a job funded by tax dollars, they wither away and die.
Vets have no clue what to do once out.

Are you just incapable of having perspective? Nobody is saying that military peeps can't function in the real world, but there is an element of irony in bitching about government programs while being supported by taxpayers.

It's okay--you only support things that you can benefit from and that's okay. The rest of us understand that we live in a society, and because of that we will try to make sure everybody is taken care of.

"I like to make sweeping generalities about people but get pissy when others try do the same to me and mine."

-macman

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

WOW, what a world we live in.

No wonder our country is going to crap.

Not to mention this is something like cash for votes????

Yep, the election wasn't lost on people voting for free crap. It was lost on that and other Govt members pushing for areas to vote, so they get free crap as well.

I think Obama should bail out Detroit. 5 to 10 billion would work nicely there don't you think? This is what America voted for and what they should get. Massive bail outs all over the place is what we want, is why we voted Obama back in to office.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Detroit needs bulldozed and turned into farmland. They keep talking about it but never do it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Are you just incapable of having perspective? Nobody is saying that military peeps can't function in the real world, but there is an element of irony in bitching about government programs while being supported by taxpayers.

No, I am very capable.
You are just pitching BS.
You are trying, and failing, to try to tie welfare people to Military Members with some flimsy connection to tax dollars.
I guess that ALL Govt employees are just like welfare people then. You know, because they are tied to tax dollars.
There is no irony. Tax dollars going to pay people for not working is the issue.
Detroit as a whole is the epitome of failed Dem theories and philosophy. And is compounded by this moron council member stating that that the higher ups need to go get the "bacon" from DC.
So yeah, there is a HUGE difference between the two. You are just wanting to lump them together.

It's okay--you only support things that you can benefit from and that's okay. The rest of us understand that we live in a society, and because of that we will try to make sure everybody is taken care of.

How am I personally benefiting from any of this?
You are again operating under the thought that Military Members don't work for the salary they receive.

"I like to make sweeping generalities about people but get pissy when others try do the same to me and mine."

No one is pissy.
What generalities?
Again, Welfare is welfare.
Military is Military.

One of these things is not like the other one. One of these things is not the same.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I haven't had the time to read the whole thread yet, but I certainly will... I just wanted to weigh in quickly on a few things. First, and most important, Quid pro quo in elections is ILLEGAL!!! Apparently this "politician" doesn't posses even a cursory understanding of the law!

Secondly, Romney was right... a significant number of Obama voters were voting themselves money, gifts, handouts etc...

Finally, Benjamin Franklin was prescient and 100% accurate when he stated, "Once people realize they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic."

Here it is folks, the end of the Republic! Just think, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren that you were there when it happened. And if you voted for Obama, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren that you were one of the Americans that brought about the end of the Republic. I'm certain your progeny will be very proud of you!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Yeah sure. Why not.
I agree with that.
Give the people exactly what they want.
Bail outs for all Cities and States, more money pissed away to "Green energy" companies owned by 0bama bundlers and bigger Govt with more control.

Might as well.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I guess that ALL Govt employees are just like welfare people then. You know, because they are tied to tax dollars.

You see, I don't have a problem reconciling this because I haven't positioned myself against certain taxpayer funded programs/entities.

I'm okay with government and government funded programs. This is a society--we need things like military, welfare, jobs, etc.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You see, I don't have a problem reconciling this because I haven't positioned myself against certain taxpayer funded programs/entities.

I'm okay with government and government funded programs. This is a society--we need things like military, welfare, jobs, etc.

I do see that. But, Welfare is not part of what the Govt should be doing. Military is.

So, you are ok with all of this. More Govt, rising taxes and more people dependent on Govt.
Not to mention more moronic Govt officials like the woman in question.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I do see that. But, Welfare is not part of what the Govt should be doing. Military is.

Which is why I can label you as ironic and hypocritical. You are only for things that benefit you. And I'm assuming you are military because of both your stance and avatar--I think it is a fair assumption but I apologize if I'm wrong.

I also think it is naive to believe that some people don't join the military simply because they can get some "free" stuff: education, room and board, etc. I have a nephew who did that very thing because he didn't do good in school and didn't know how to find a job. But, I don't have a problem reconciling this because I think that we the people should attempt to take care of all of our people.

Please note how I used "free." This type of free applies across the board because welfare recipients could have paid taxes for a long time and then hit hard times--this implies that they contributed to their welfare.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Xtrozero

Yeah sure. Why not.
I agree with that.
Give the people exactly what they want.
Bail outs for all Cities and States, more money pissed away to "Green energy" companies owned by 0bama bundlers and bigger Govt with more control.

Might as well.

People just cannot comprehend, or don't care, what 16 trillion is, or 20, or 30 trillion. They don't care, they just want the Federal Government to dig them out of all their troubles. Whether those troubles are personal, city or state wide it doesn’t matter. At all levels no one, or group, feel that they should work out their own problems and only see the Feds as their answer. Now who pays for it is anyone’s guess, but that too does not matter as long as they get theirs.

America has spoken and this is what it wants……Sometimes you need to let something completely fail before you can rebuild….sad fact.

edit on 6-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Detroit has been bailed out numerous times before when the auto industry fell on hard times (by making crappy products and paying outrageous union benefits).
Only this time there would be nothing to bring Detroit back.
That's called a sucker loan.
Not as if there isn't enough Federal dollars pouring in there given the number of people on entitlements.
I'm not blaming them either - there aren't any jobs to be had.
It's vulture capitalism that has gutted our industries and sent jobs overseas.
Ask Berkshire Hathaway for the bailout money - they're the ones that stole your future.

As for bringing home the bacon the councilwoman looks to have plenty to spare.

edit on 6-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by HIWATT
Obama bail out Detroit?

LOL

Not likely, if he ever realizes that the city is going to be sucking $650 MILLION DOLLARS out of the tax payers pockets so Mike Ilitch can build a new house for the [url=http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411053]> RED WINGS

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Which is why I can label you as ironic and hypocritical. You are only for things that benefit you. And I'm assuming you are military because of both your stance and avatar--I think it is a fair assumption but I apologize if I'm wrong.

Not in the Military.
By that rational, all Govt workers are only in it for themselves.
But, never mind that the Military is part of what the Govt is required to fund, and not welfare and people to not work.

I also think it is naive to believe that some people don't join the military simply because they can get some "free" stuff: education, room and board, etc.

WOW, it is free???? So, the Military member does nothing to receive housing, food and such?
Yep, I fully understand your view of the Military.

I have a nephew who did that very thing because he didn't do good in school and didn't know how to find a job.

Joining the Military is getting a job there genius.

But, I don't have a problem reconciling this because I think that we the people should attempt to take care of all of our people.

You are not taking care of the Military member. They are doing a JOB, to receive reduced pay and housing and food. You think pretty highly of yourself, don't you.

Please note how I used "free." This type of free applies across the board because welfare recipients could have paid taxes for a long time and then hit hard times--this implies that they contributed to their welfare.

Ah, so since the paid into it some time ago, they are entitled to it.
SO, with that, there then should be a time limit set for people to receive such things.
But, what about those that have not paid income taxes for some time? I guess that since they paid into it, say 5 years ago, that they are still entitled to receive that "free" stuff. Or, what about those making under say, $25k a year, that virtually pay no income tax, when filings happen and their refund comes back. I guess they too are entitled to receive the free stuff.
Sure they are, just tax those making more then them. They can afford it..

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

reply to post by zroth

www.huffingtonpost.com...

So now it is a valid and true story, because it is reported on something else other then Fox.

There was a video of her comments and people still used the FOX news lies meme?

Well storm...the problem is...Fox news Does lie...and so does MSNBC and CNN, Current, ABC, CBS...you name it. Everything is now an opinion/editorial and twisted or slanted to be more "palatable" for their general viewers political tastes. It's all bunk...

That being said, maybe we should put Detroit up as collateral. They can get their business in order or we drop their city charter/corporate status and auction the land off.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

"This country would be a lot better off without poor people."

-macman

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

That is cute and all, but you failed to address the issues.
Instead, you turn to reddit and meme.

Very cute. Not very witty or intelligent, but cute.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join