It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

But, a Council person does represent the people who elected her....and she does speak for those people.
You must realize these are contentious times in the City of Detroit.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm from Detroit and I'm not surprised that she said this. We have the craziest council of all time. Think a Black Parks and Recreation. They are insane. This doesn't mean the City of Detroit is falling apart or that its in some sort of Robocop movie. The city has been like this for DECADES, crazy leaders, and even crazier citizens. Don't dump on Detroit like its Mississippi...(LOL) Sorry I just had to, its so country there. But this is the same council that is so afraid of the criminals that they are trying to impose a city wide curfew for businesses where they have to close at 11pm. Even gas stations. Its leadership that is lacking. When you have cowards running government you are left with less than satisfactory results. At this pace, I'm expecting Kilpatrick to come back and be Mayor. And I'm serious.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ltheghost

Yeah, leadership is lacking totally....it's so bad they have an unelected person, Krystal Crittendon who can override the mayor and council....and was put in place during the Kilpatrick era shenanigans.
edit on Wed Dec 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix tag

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
And you see how Obama got reelected. Free cellphones. Free money. The entitlement class wants their free stuff.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Then by the same reasoning everyone who voted for obama should get a bailout.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I think its pretty clear now that Obama won because America is addicted to the free stuff crappy working people provide for them.

There's lot of examples of government dependent Obama voters on the internet. Just google "Obama phone", "Obama money" and you will see exactly the mentality of the Obama voter.

Says the guy in the military.

"I enjoy being ironic."

-projectvxn

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
www.myfoxdetroit.com...

The city of Detroit faces a major financial crisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama should step in and help.

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizens support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city. (Click the video player to listen)

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

WOW, what a world we live in.

No wonder our country is going to crap.

Not to mention this is something like cash for votes????

Yep, the election wasn't lost on people voting for free crap. It was lost on that and other Govt members pushing for areas to vote, so they get free crap as well.

edit on 5-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Dec 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags

Wow ! What a way to be melodramatic over nothing!

You seem to be completely missing the line that makes your story a non-story.

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city...Still you act as if some kind of promise was made on the downlow, maybe on one of Obamas many trips there....
He should fix up Chicago because in 4 years he will be living there.

You are calling this comment by the city councilwoman CASH 4 VOTES???

That's rich.

Wouldn't that involve some cash?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoil
The US is in the situation Ben Franklin warned us about, once the politicians figure out to buy your/our votes with your/our own money, it's all over.

Do you think it is the politicians? Really?
Do you think that's where the money is going?

And the rest here...as incorrect as you, think it is going to the poor.
The OP thinks it might go to rebuild someplace like Chicago or in free crap to poor people.

That's what they want you to believe little grass hopper.

It has GONE to a handful of mega-business industrial giants and their families.
(The Heritage Foundation and about 400 families of American Royalty)
They only "purchased" the politicians who enter the loopholes that save them billions.

Just tax the bas*#ds same as everyone else, remove all the exceptions we grant the super rich and we will all be able to quit our belly aching - at least for a little while, until people are working again.
edit on 6-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Yes, because we believed In your inability for four more years, the massive debt, the failed Obamacare....yet we elected you for another term.......please help us on your way to HI.

Idiots!!!!

I would post but T&C are against it.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

There are those that voted for Obama who were not concerned about getting "free stuff" in return,

You're right. Some of them were overly concerned with forcing other people to give other people stuff.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Obama bail out Detroit?

LOL

Not likely, if he ever realizes that the city is going to be sucking $650 MILLION DOLLARS out of the tax payers pockets so Mike Ilitch can build a new house for the [url=http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411053]> RED WINGS

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Well Benton Harbor is doing the same thing. Our finacial would be over if the state loans us 3 million dollars. I would say they have no plan on paying it back

You live in benton harbor? We should have coffee.

Anyway i could only imagine what benton harbor would do with 3 million in free cash. Just look at the berrien county road commission. ive seen them fix the same pothole every week for 3 months before instead of doing it right so the plows dont rip it out.....

And whats up with the benton harbor airport having a 6000 foot runway when the city isnt even that long? Can you say corporatism?

As for detroit, good god. Maybe if they hadnt sold the ambassador bridge, theyd have more money. Maybe they should sell a third of the city to gm, a third to chrysler, and a third to ford. Then theyll have money.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It looks like JoAnn Watson shouldn't even be allowed to speak for the people of Detroit...

DETROIT -- A Detroit City Council member who paid $68 in property taxes this year because city records indicate her home doesn't exist, said she thought damage caused by a tornado was the reason her bill was so low.

But JoAnn Watson couldn't recall exactly when the tornado struck her well-kept brick, Tudor-style home on the city's west side, saying it might have been 1993 or 2002. She said she was unaware of a city records discrepancy that has for the past decade listed the parcel as an empty lot, despite the home occupying the plot since 1926.

Owners of comparable homes pay $2,000 to $6,500 in property taxes. "I've been a target of a smear campaign," Watson told reporters gathered outside her home on Sunday. "... I pay my bills and whatever I was billed, I paid."

www.mlive.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by MDDoxs

There are those that voted for Obama who were not concerned about getting "free stuff" in return,

You're right. Some of them were overly concerned with forcing other people to give other people stuff.

I guess the other side doesn't call it "free stuff"
when the free stuff amounts to actual cash breaks that amount to

millions and billions of dollars.

How is it not FREE STUFF when you are giving it to corporations and billionaires?

Why does it become free stuff when it goes to children, the poor, the handicapped and the elderly?

It's not FREE when it is a free tax loophole to save a billionaire millions but it is free when it goes toward food and basic health services for some protected groups? I don't get the logic.

Meanwhile on the same page...tax breaks for billionaires....what are they? Essentials?
Lets talk corporate tax breaks and loopholes giving millions and billions to the wealthiest 1%, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. That is what I call

"free stuff"

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
LOL. I read the title and thought "guaranteed this is a FOX news story"

I hate being right about people

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

Oh, you mean like bailing out GM and the Unions, based in I don't know, Detroit????

Nah, no money there. None at all.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Not going to put forth any effort to responding to banned people.

edit on 6-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Deetermined

How do these people get elected, what is happening that I don't know about
they re-elected Jackson while he was still in the psych ward .

Now there is a sex offender running for office, are they purposely electing morons to completely destroy us?

I am telling you the elections are fixed, the majority of the down staters voted against Obama, Chicago screws the elections.
bluedownstate.wordpress.com...

the elections are rigged people.
edit on 083131p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
Obama bail out Detroit?

LOL

Not likely, if he ever realizes that the city is going to be sucking $650 MILLION DOLLARS out of the tax payers pockets so Mike Ilitch can build a new house for the [url=http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411053]> RED WINGS

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join