It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
www.myfoxdetroit.com...

The city of Detroit faces a major financial crisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama should step in and help.

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizens support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city. (Click the video player to listen)

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

WOW, what a world we live in.

No wonder our country is going to crap.

Not to mention this is something like cash for votes????

Yep, the election wasn't lost on people voting for free crap. It was lost on that and other Govt members pushing for areas to vote, so they get free crap as well.

edit on 5-12-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Dec 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is exactly what is wrong with Detroit, and at this point, they can rot.
They want the president to bail them out. (They have more crooked politicians and corruption than you can shake a stick at.)
But let the governor talk about taking them over, (Which would mean hard cuts, and some removal of said politicians) and they scream and holler "Unfair!!!"

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Yep, the election wasn't lost on people voting for free crap. It was lost on that and other Govt members pushing for areas to vote, so they get free crap as well.

Your being a tad melodramatic...

The Democratic Party was democratically elected into office. One city councillors opinions on her reason for voting Obama back into office does not determine the results of the election. Additionally, to presume that her comments are shared by all those in her district is not valid.

Detroit would be asking the same thing of the Republican Party if they were elected in, but they weren't, get over it.

edit on 5-12-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well Benton Harbor is doing the same thing. Our finacial would be over if the state loans us 3 million dollars. I would say they have no plan on paying it back

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Bail them out with what? The Federal government is $16 trillion in the hole...

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think its pretty clear now that Obama won because America is addicted to the free stuff crappy working people provide for them.

It's not that Mitt Romney was wrong about the 47%. Its that he called it out and everyone heard it.
edit on 5-12-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

There's lot of examples of government dependent Obama voters on the internet. Just google "Obama phone", "Obama money" and you will see exactly the mentality of the Obama voter.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by MDDoxs

There's lot of examples of government dependent Obama voters on the internet. Just google "Obama phone", "Obama money" and you will see exactly the mentality of the Obama voter.

Way to over generalize. By that reasoning I could say everyone who voted for Romney is prejudice, gun toting and wealth centric ....which I know is not the case.

There are those that voted for Obama who were not concerned about getting "free stuff" in return, though I will not deny that some did and to assume that won him the election is kind of silly to me.

Disclaimer, I am not an American, it just my view as an outside observer.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
. Additionally, to presume that her comments are shared by all those in her district is not valid.

Detroit would be asking the same thing of the Republican Party if they were elected in, but they weren't, get over it.

I don't think you understand how this BS works?
Council woman = the entire city Council..every member = the entire government of Detroit = Every citizen of Detroit = Every Citizen of Michigan = Every Obama voter = the majority of Americans....

therefore "Detroit Councilwoman" = 62 Million Americans who voted for the President.

Get on board!!! Anything any of those 62 Million Americans say = the view of all of those 62 Million Americans!
edit on 5-12-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Well I didn't vote for Romney. I just thought his comment about the 47% was accurate. It is not an outlandish claim to say that America has fallen for the trappings of free stuff from government this has actually been the case for a long time.

People aren't ashamed of it anymore though, and that's the problem.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

. Additionally, to presume that her comments are shared by all those in her district is not valid.

I don't think you understand how this BS works?
Council woman = the entire city Council..every member = the entire government of Detroit = Every citizen of Detroit = Every Citizen of Ohio = Every Obama voter = the majority of Americans....

therefore "Detroit Councilwoman" = 62 Million Americans who voted for the President.

Get on board!!! Anything any of those 62 Million Americans say = the view of all of those 62 Million Americans!

Detroit is in Ohio?

News to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not. I would like to think it is, but I have a feeling you are serious.

Just so you know, I do not agree with every facet of my elected officials platform, but I share enough to give them a vote.

You are saying you agree 100% with everything those you vote for believe? I hope you say no, because no two people have the exact same belief, but anyways to each his own...

Your logic is flawed and I fear that many others share it.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Really???
Oh, you mean if Detroit had rallied for Romney, and he had won, that they would be calling on the debt.

Yeah, that is nice and all, but Romney made no such promise, Detroit rallied for 0bama and now they want they free crap.

So, what ifs are really not applicable here.

Oh, and not shared???? I do believe cheers are heard in the background and that no other council members stated they rejected what she said.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I will agree with you in one respect, apathy is a epidemic in the America from what I see. They don't care as long as they receive something like you have mentioned.

However, I would like to think those people are in the minority. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I believe it to be true.

I will give you some context of my beliefs, I agree with portions of both democratic and republican parties, in one hand I appreciate and value the humanitarianism of the democrats and on the other hand I appreciate the capitalistic viewpoint of the republicans. I believe in capitalism, but support socialized services. It's a fine balance, America is getting close in my eyes to this, but it is having some growing pains along the way.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Oh, and not shared???? I do believe cheers are heard in the background and that no other council members stated they rejected what she said.

Oh, I must have missed hearing all the people in Detroit cheering to then? City council is not necessarily the people, true they are elected, but they don't represents every one of their constituents beliefs and emotions on the subject, so you argument becomes mute.

Further, you vote for officials that you best believe represent you believes and needs and currently Detroit is in an economic crisis. So I can understand their desire for assistance, but to presume that was the only motivating factor for voting for Obama is ignorant.

Obama was elected because it was what the majority (loosely speaking) wanted.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Oh, I must have missed hearing all the people in Detroit cheering to then? City council is not necessarily the people, true they are elected, but they don't represents every one of their constituents beliefs and emotions on the subject, so you argument becomes mute.

Not Mute, moot.
But, your argument here is kicked to the curb by your argument below.
She was elected by the people, with doing the peoples business in mind. It appears, from what she stated, this is a long standing belief by her and the community as a whole there.
The council did not retract the statement, nor did any member offer an opposing statement.
If it quacks and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

Further, you vote for officials that you best believe represent you believes and needs and currently Detroit is in an economic crisis. So I can understand their desire for assistance, but to presume that was the only motivating factor for voting for Obama is ignorant.

So, because Detroit has taken themselves to the position they are in, it is believed that they can turn to the Fed Govt to bail them out with others peoples money?
Not only that, her statement is close to the illegal activity of Cash for Votes. Maybe, just maybe, go and research our laws and governance under such things, before chimming in that it seems to be legit.

Obama was elected because it was what the majority (loosely speaking) wanted.

He was elected because he promised the masses the most free stuff. And it appears that this Council Member is calling in on that free stuff.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

It's called the Spotlight Fallacy.

Coucilwoman X who happens to be Y states Z,
therefore all Y agree with Z.

In this case a statement by a local Detroit Councilwoman has been attributed to 61 Million Americans.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Detroit is in Ohio?

Thanks for that. Fixed it for you. Perhaps you have something to contribute on the inherent fallacy of the OP?

The premise that a local councilwomen's comment is represents the view of over half the voting population of the USA?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Not Mute, moot.

Irrelevant as you understood my point, but I apologize my ipad likes to changes words.

She was elected by the people, with doing the peoples business in mind. It appears, from what she stated, this is a long standing belief by her and the community as a whole there. The council did not retract the statement, nor did any member offer an opposing statement.

So you are basing the results of the federal election entirely on what this women has said? I am sure the other half of the country that voted for the democrats would disagree. You have taken a couple examples of those seeking a return and applied it to everyone that voted blue....generalization.

So, because Detroit has taken themselves to the position they are in, it is believed that they can turn to the Fed Govt to bail them out with others peoples money? Not only that, her statement is close to the illegal activity of Cash for Votes. Maybe, just maybe, go and research our laws and governance under such things, before chimming in that it seems to be legit.

I am not going to go do the work for you, please prove to me that every democrat in Detroit and the US at large voted for Obama for there kick back.

You are the one making the claim, you prove it.

He was elected because he promised the masses the most free stuff. And it appears that this Council Member is calling in on that free stuff

Show me valid statistics claiming that everyone that voted for Obama only did so for this "free stuff" and I will respectfully retract my comments and concede the point, but I don't believe you can.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
been there and it is a place that needs to go, let the Reps bail them out, the Dems need the cash some place else, like VA benefits or persons with disability's, but no city should get a free hand out nor help from the Gov , if they can not mange money to bad, let the city go under, no if this was a rep city you bet they would get hand out, JM from Az and Boehner would be the first to cut them a check.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join