It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will World Series Predict Presidential Winner (as gauge of popular willpower)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Red Sox = Kerry
Cardinals = Bush

Now... this is a completely unscientific analysis. I know that it's quite arbitrary.

Yes, the Astros, obviously, would have been more of a Bush team (his father was a congressman out of Houston and the Houston Chronicle is one of the few conservative papers out there)... but the Cards, or at least their fans, have a lot of Bush elements in them. True, St. Louis is a staunchly Democratic town (it's the home of Gephardt), but the Cards appeal to entire swaths of the south and west (and, as someone noted below, the Cards were once the big team for everyone west of the Missippi river). In short, the Cards have their greatest following in red states.

The Red Sox are, obviously, the team of Kerry and Mass. (though Conan O'Brien had a funny skit with a 'talking head' Kerry giving his rendition of 'take me old to the ballpark' that decidely painted the Boston Brahmin as a non-baseball fan). though the sloppy, unshaven image of the RSox doesn't match the pristine, mincing posture of Kerry... the RSox probably appeal more to Kerry supporters.

Now... here comes my CRAZY argument of the day:
There are some studies that supposedly show that people can influence random number generators. I wonder if, assuming that people, as a group, can will random events to go one way or another, the outcome of the series will reveal the winner of the preseidential election. The idea is that the winning team will be the one with the most committed, and perhaps numerous, supporters. If it is accepted that there is an overlap between the fan bases and specific candidates... the winning team may also be the voting population with the greatest will to win in November (IE turnout).

A totally crazy idea... but we'll see if it ends up being right.

join