It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I checked my email this morning to find this inside my Google Mail inbox.

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account - ##########@gmail.com. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:36:44 AM UTC
IP Address: ###.##.##.###

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

I have never experienced anything like the above before. I am curious if any one on ATS has, or could offer information as to a possible explanation "why" this could happen. It does make me slightly paranoid to some extent

The only thing I can think of is a day before this "attempt" was made I used a trial version of Microsoft Office Cloud 2013 to write a research paper for school.

I edited out the I.P address (unsure about possible T&C violations) in the above OP. Would anyone more "in the know" about these things be able to offer a possible explanation, or steps I should take other than changing my password?

What steps could I take to find out more about "who" this was?

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.

edit on 5-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SyntheticPerception

This is more than likely a phishing e-mail....Those buggers just don't know when to stop!

Was there a link in the e-mail, for you to click on to take you to sign in ?

If so, then yep, definately a phishing e-mail....They are the hackers, as when you click the link it is a mock up of the sign in page, but really you're giving the bad guys your access codes.

Hope this helps

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Who's the email from?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

The email was from [email protected]. It does not seem to be a phishing email, the link provided was from google and took me to my account to change my password and other account settings.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Omg, you didn't !

You do know hackers can change the address line so that it looks like its from Google ?

More importantly there is a clue in the e-mail you recieved....

Who "Hijack's" an account, the word is hacked...Sorry, but I think you may have been compromised.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

This is more than likely a phishing e-mail....Those buggers just don't know when to stop!

If so, then yep, definately a phishing e-mail....They are the hackers, as when you click the link it is a mock up of the sign in page, but really you're giving the bad guys your access codes.

Hope this helps

It actually makes me more paranoid.
It looked legit from google, took me to my account page etc.

Left this part out of the OP

If this was you, and you want to give this application access to your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at ______________

Note: This email address cannot accept replies.

Sincerely,
The Google Accounts Team

© 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Who "Hijack's" an account, the word is hacked...Sorry, but I think you may have been compromised.

I was compromised long before this email.

This stinks.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

The email is really from Google though.. It wasn't just a link to some web page, it was a link to my Google account.
This still stinks.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Omg, you didn't !

You do know hackers can change the address line so that it looks like its from Google ?

I was going to call fake off the bat for the very reason you picked up on. That sentence read wrong to me, too.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I know I sound like the cyber equivalent of the grim reaper, but seriously, they can make it look legit, usually there is a mistake somewhere, but nowadays, they are good.

Did you use the link to sign in?

If you did, I would write off that e-mail address, and get another one, just to be safe, if nothing else.

The idea is to "fool" the individual into handing over their details, so of course they are going to make it look legit.

Using the word Hijack, instead of hack, plus the addition of the link makes me think you have been had.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I didn't have to sign in. After I changed the password Google sent me an email confirming it was me who made the change, and if I didn't change the password to contact them directly.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Using the word Hijack

That actually hits a personal note somewhat to me and makes me laugh. Kinda.

Hi ~ Jack

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Do you have a gmail address?

I would like to see what message you wold get if I try to log into your account. Like if I type in your email for the login, and then say the word "dog" a few times for the password (unless your password is dog), we could see if you get an email from Google using the same verbiage my email did.

Or I cold create a new account, give you the email and have your try and login to it and I'll check the email I recieve from Google.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Try and login to this email for me if you will, I want to see the message I get. Try a few times so it will register as someone "messing" with my account who shouldn't.

Just created it

[email protected].

If I get the same message I will know if the OP email was really from google or not.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Click the email adress it was sent from, to reveal the actual email adress.

It's gmail, nevermind
edit on 5-12-2012 by Zehll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zehll

It came from [email protected]

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Zehll

It's gmail, nevermind

So it was legit then yes?

If so I am curious why someone from Vietnam was attempting to access my account.
All of my "Top Secret" information is inside my mind, not my gmail account

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hi,

I had the very same message, I contacted google and it was from them, you can find more information here Google support

I also received the email at my recovery account, which I don't use for anything! So you should be safe.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

support.google.com...
ask.metafilter.com...

Seems legit, mainly because in their support forum their accounts department is usually a variation on [email protected]
edit on 5-12-2012 by Zehll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Omg, you didn't !

Hijack is the perfect word, logging in to someone's account doesn't necessarily involve any hacking.

If you changed your password on the google.com domain then don't worry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join