It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this soho image of concern imaged on dec 4th

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

This image may be a new one.I read on MSNNEWs that a huge solar flare just recently exploded form the sun. But it also said it was NOT headed our way.

Ohh just so you know. If you get a pic like this again, if it was going to hurt us (solar flare) it would have happend 7 minutes after the flare erupted. So, there's really no preparing for it. You already have your answer, no need to worry.

7 minutes? I thought it took a few days to reach us.

How long does it take a CME to reach the Earth?

The average distance from the Sun to the Earth is 150 million kilometers which can be written as 150 x 10^6 Km.

CME's can vary in speed. They can range from 200 km/s to 1000 km/s, although typically, most of them travel at about 424 km/s (Avg 1996-1998 speed St. Cyr et al., 2000).

Assuming that CME's don't accelerate or decelerate on their way from the Sun to the Earth, we can easily compute from the numbers given, the minimum travel time, the maximum travel time, as well as the average travel time.

time=distance/speed

So, the average time it would take a CME to get to the Earth is 98 hrs. At 1000 km/s, a CME would take 42 hrs, and at 200 km/s, a CME would take 208 hrs.

Source: sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable

Originally posted by foodstamp
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

This image may be a new one.I read on MSNNEWs that a huge solar flare just recently exploded form the sun. But it also said it was NOT headed our way.

Ohh just so you know. If you get a pic like this again, if it was going to hurt us (solar flare) it would have happend 7 minutes after the flare erupted. So, there's really no preparing for it. You already have your answer, no need to worry.

7 minutes? I thought it took a few days to reach us.

How long does it take a CME to reach the Earth?

The average distance from the Sun to the Earth is 150 million kilometers which can be written as 150 x 10^6 Km.

CME's can vary in speed. They can range from 200 km/s to 1000 km/s, although typically, most of them travel at about 424 km/s (Avg 1996-1998 speed St. Cyr et al., 2000).

Assuming that CME's don't accelerate or decelerate on their way from the Sun to the Earth, we can easily compute from the numbers given, the minimum travel time, the maximum travel time, as well as the average travel time.

time=distance/speed

So, the average time it would take a CME to get to the Earth is 98 hrs. At 1000 km/s, a CME would take 42 hrs, and at 200 km/s, a CME would take 208 hrs.

Ahh, you might be right.. I was thinking the speed of light. The suns light takes 7 minutes to reach earth.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I look at the Soho pics almost everyday... nothing wrong, the camera on the satellite gets screwy sometimes. As for the arm thingie at the 1-2 o'clock position...it holds the sun light blocking doohicky (you know, so the camera doesn't get a white out condition from all the light).

You guys are dumb.

[edit] Some info about the Soho Pic the OP posted: LASCO
Also here: star.mpae.gwdg.de...

Check out: sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov... for the Soho pic database in a moving picture format. The LASCO C3 is what the OP put up - the LASCO C2 is the closer up pic of the C3.
edit on 7-12-2012 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above

edit on 7-12-2012 by ChuckNasty because: link not working

edit on 7-12-2012 by ChuckNasty because: I'm dumb too - silly links.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

You guys are dumb.

[edit on 7-12-2012 by ChuckNasty because: I'm dumb too - silly links.

--------------------------------------
------------------------------------------
edit on 7-12-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

It takes one to know one right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join