It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this soho image of concern imaged on dec 4th

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

This image may be a new one.I read on MSNNEWs that a huge solar flare just recently exploded form the sun. But it also said it was NOT headed our way.

Ohh just so you know. If you get a pic like this again, if it was going to hurt us (solar flare) it would have happend 7 minutes after the flare erupted. So, there's really no preparing for it. You already have your answer, no need to worry.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
reply to post by Philosophile

lamens terms?
im not quite following what your meaning!

as in did they remove them? something they didnt want anyone to see?
isnt that a bit late?
we have pics and video already
edit on 5-12-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

I had the same question. I am confused as to what is being said

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
yea the tranisition that occurs at midnight is very suspicious
also the black line that heads from the sun to the 1-2 o'clock position seems to have a hell of a lot of activity compared to the rest of area around it.

The black line is the arm from the camera to the occulter that's blocking the direct light of the Sun, it's often seen as 'fuzzy'

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp

Ohh just so you know. If you get a pic like this again, if it was going to hurt us (solar flare) it would have happend 7 minutes after the flare erupted. So, there's really no preparing for it. You already have your answer, no need to worry.

i thought this bears a 2 to 3 day window before earth impact (in most cases) and is kinda why the vatican has their paws on this

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

interesting stuff. There are no alerts as far as I can tell.

here is a great resource if you are interested.

www.solarham.net...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet that it is nothing...as always on here. Someone like Phage will come in and provide a good explanation until then we can continue to panic.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The dark area is an area of relatively low activity from the Sun, combined with the fact that there is higher (brighter) activity in other areas. The brighter regions cause the lesser active region to darken (SOHO can't go brighter, so the non-bright areas go darker).

Here's a similar (though much smaller) darkening effect during a bright CME:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

ok that is quite an image there
i wonder if that region that blew away was dark before and afterwards

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

www.solarham.net...

many kudos for the link too

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasvegasteddy

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

www.solarham.net...

many kudos for the link too

is there any site up for current magnetosphere of earth you'd suggest?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thanks for this! I just ran a google image search on "LASCO C3 flare" and it appears every flare captured, seems to have some non-lit areas just like the OP picture.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Before the CME, there was likely nothing so bright in the image, so there was probably nothing to cause any dark area. And the same for after the CME dissipated.

Since there's no obvious CME or extremely bright flare occurring in the image you posted, it's likely mainly just an area of reduced activity (basically, less light). And it was just temporary...the dark area is gone now.
edit on 5-12-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philosophile
SOHO wiped their last EIT movies from the past two days on the third and fourth image[s]. The LASCO movies transition, so it seems, more quickly, as well.

I see that it is indeed showing data from the 1st and 2nd, but if you go here:
SOHO Movies you can type in the date range and choose LASCO 3 and find the archive for the 3rd - 4th. HOWEVER... it does not show the weird anomaly the the OP's pic shows, or the youtube vid.

OP, where did you get your comparison pic from?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

last night i grabbed that still image off of soho's page itself
i guess they saw it was starting to make a buzz so they changed it.

you'll see where someone replied stating my image wasn't showing up so i linked him direct

today
when i use the same link i supplied to the other member...they changed it
strange or common play

myself i made the comparison for clarity and to illustrate what i was questioning

edit on 5-12-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't know whether the image is odd or not.

What I do know, is that when we are supposed to be in solar maximum, the sun is acting like its solar minimum.

This is very strange. We are supposed to be seeing the peak of solar cycle 24 occuring between now and next year.... But its oddly silent. I wonder if this has anything to do with dec 21.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I too went to the soho site to put in dates and watch the movie. Though not the anomaly that the OP posted, there is a very weird thing going on. While playing the movie the one with the time stamp of 2012/12/04 12:18 and the with the time stamp 2012/12/04 12:42 are identical. There is one frame between the two that is time stamped 2012/12/04 12:30 that does not match the sequence.

Seems to me someone is trying to hide something, because the images aren't even close.

edit on 12/5/2012 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh because: to add

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
In order to make details of the corona and CMEs more visible a "background mask" is applied to the images. The process is called background subtraction and uses a "stack" of past images to create a brightness map in order to remove bright areas that don't change over time.

What happened is that the background mask was updated. This is done on a regular basis.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Looks normal to me...don't see anything unusual. Just check this link out from another perspective.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
While playing the movie the one with the time stamp of 2012/12/04 12:18 and the with the time stamp 2012/12/04 12:42 are identical.

No they aren't

Here is 12:30
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
edit on 12/5/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/5/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
In order to make details of the corona and CMEs more visible a "background mask" is applied to the images. The process is called background subtraction and uses a "stack" of past images to create a brightness map in order to remove bright areas that don't change over time.

What happened is that the background mask was updated. This is done on a regular basis.

big thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join