It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dog knows something I don't

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I've had this dog for over a year, since a 6 week old pup. She is skittish but very affectionate. She loves to be outside, obsessively. She can hunt for herself but I do feed her. She kennels every night. I live in a cold climate in MN. It has been no higher than 27 today and is 9 degrees Fahrenheit tonight when she wants to come in. I live in farm country with nothing immediately around within miles. Here is my wonderment: She is always warm when she comes in. How is this? There is no 'Under the house' space. I have no alternative energy sources.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

What type of dog is she?

Lots of information on breeds here: Cold Weather Dogs
edit on 12/5/2012 by Shdak because: added a link

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I think animals learn to adapt to the enviroment they live in. If shes always outside in the cold more energy is spent keeping warm than being stored. If you have a dog thats always indoors and let them outside they get very cold because they arn't adapted to the climate. Usually in the winter most dogs fur coats get thicker too.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

The poor thing is still a pup...of course it wants teet(mothering)....Pretend your the alpha dog ..stamp your foot,growl if you have to.....give it some time,it will obey

My dog is a husky/shep and his nests kept me warm on a cold night camping

edit on 5-12-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
She is a year and a half old. Quite capable of taking care of herself and she does. I love the dog and she loves me. Like I said, she is quite affectionate.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyancat
I think animals learn to adapt to the enviroment they live in. If shes always outside in the cold more energy is spent keeping warm than being stored. If you have a dog thats always indoors and let them outside they get very cold because they arn't adapted to the climate. Usually in the winter most dogs fur coats get thicker too.

She is housed inside at night. I love her bunches! I just wonder how she is able to keep warm outside for hours while when I go to feed my other animals, I am freezing despite my outer wear, in a short amount of time.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I like the way you wrote your thread it's kinda like a riddle. I wish it included the answer. Are you saying she's warm to the touch or she just doesn't act like she's cold?

I'm at a loss if she feels warm. If she acts like she's comfortable I would lean toward the idea that she has adapted to the climate.

Not sure though so I'm interested with what the other members have to say.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
At Cavalryscout, thank you for the kind post. She is warm to the touch. I myself am at a riddle because I don't understand how she can feel so warm (upon physical contact) to the touch. It is a mystery to me!

edit on 5-12-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Hmmm...It's def. strange.

I'll have to check back on this in the morning.

Take Care.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I also wonder how bugs and small critters and birds survive in this insanely cold environment. A little fluff of feathers???? I see them in my trees all through the winter. My hands with gloves on are freezing by the time I get to the barn yet they are living out in it. I find it amazing. They are tiny birds with toothpick legs.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
At Cavalryscout, thank you for the kind post. She is warm to the touch. I myself am at a riddle because I don't understand how she can feel so warm (upon physical contact) to the touch. It is a mystery to me!

That is strange, because my two dogs can be outside for a short time and, although they do not act like it bothers them, they certainly feel cold to the touch. It is not near as cold at night here as it is where you live!

I wonder, are there any other animals she could cuddle up with and generate warmth between them? Can you stalk her and find out where she goes?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

I wonder, are there any other animals she could cuddle up with and generate warmth between them? Can you stalk her and find out where she goes?

I was thinking that last night. It would be cool to put a little video camera on her like they do on some of the documentary shows.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I also wonder how bugs and small critters and birds survive in this insanely cold environment. A little fluff of feathers???? I see them in my trees all through the winter. My hands with gloves on are freezing by the time I get to the barn yet they are living out in it. I find it amazing. They are tiny birds with toothpick legs.

That's a good point. Little bird legs, little bird bodies... why do they not freeze to death yet our fingers can get frost bite and fall off? Their spark of life must be quite intense!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Have you tried talking to the dog?

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
you will probably find that the dogs legs tail and nose are cold, all warm blooded animals (including us) close up capillaries and small veins in our extremity's to lower the blood flow and thus keep the most of the heat on the vital organs, so the body will be nice and warm, this is because extremity's act like radiators normally, expelling a large amount of heat in average weather temps.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Dogs have a higher normal body temperature than us humans so they often feel warm when we hold them. Another thing to consider is if she is a darker color her coat could feel warm from the sun.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

That is strange, because my two dogs can be outside for a short time and, although they do not act like it bothers them, they certainly feel cold to the touch. It is not near as cold at night here as it is where you live!

No other animals, thus the riddle.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I apologize, I do have other animals but they are in the house. I can't figure out how this dog keeps warm!

top topics

join