It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Novator KS-172 AAM-L

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:01 AM
link   

In NPO "Innovator" is conducted development of a perspective guided missile of superbig range KS-172. In 1993 the breadboard model of the rocket which have received in the West designation AAM-L was shown. On some data, KS-172 it is developed on base ZUR of a complex With - 400.

Rocket two-level. The first step acceleration
,after development of fuel is dumped. After dump of the first step the mid-flight engine is included.

On a mid-flight site prompting is carried out inertial SN. On a site of homing it is used active radar-tracking GSN. Prospective range of a rocket about 400 kms. Height the purposes from 3 meters up to 30 kilometers. The rocket can be effectively used against high-altitude prospecting LA, planes DRLO and REP, flying command items(points) and strategic bombers. For application on the maximal range it can be demanded external target acquisition.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hey you wanna know something superb? Texas Intruments makes the guidence systems for most missles and rockets. They are also listed in the Defence stocks, wanna make some cash before the next conflict, buy a mutual fund.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   
10/10 on the avatar, $tranegr: you'll find lots about this on a search of Beyond Visual Range weaponry.
To the best of my knowledge: while it's been occasionally revived in speculation about various Sukhoi machines: the Novator is as dead as the dodo.
Stealth technology and other innovations making location difficult do rather make a missile with such a range fairly stupid.

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
10/10 on the avatar, $tranegr: you'll find lots about this on a search of Beyond Visual Range weaponry.
To the best of my knowledge: while it's been occasionally revived in speculation about various Sukhoi machines: the Novator is as dead as the dodo.
Stealth technology and other innovations making location difficult do rather make a missile with such a range fairly stupid.

yeah whatever..

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
And that's a fricken SA-3 GOA that shot the F-117 down...

the AAM-L may be of doubtfull use against fighters, but against low-speed bombers ('52s) and AWACS it should be very effective!

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
necro is right

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by necro99

the AAM-L may be of doubtfull use against fighters, but against low-speed bombers ('52s) and AWACS it should be very effective!

yes, shoot down the AWAC and the rest is easy from there.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Are you sure it was an SA-3, I could have sworn that I remember hearing that it was a man portable SA-7 or 14 SAM. The F-117 was flying only a few thousand feet above the ground allowing the SAM to attack with it's infra-red rather than the SA-3's radar seeker.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   
there is no such thing as invisible.

also 55Zh6-1 and 1L13-3 radars can detect it.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The best Russian anti-aircraft missile to date has to be the SA-20 Triumf SAM. This is truely a strategic system capable of engaging all target types out to 400 km. It can supposedly ( if you believe Russian claims ) trach and engage stealth aircraft, theoretically making the B-2 obsolete.

LINK - CLICK HERE

$tranger
- Check out Zion Mainframe's website, it has a good article on Russian plasma stealth technology. In my opinion they are moving in the right direction while officially the US relies on more conventional methods ie. Angled flight surfaces etc. Which seem to reaching their limits.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
yeah i know the s400/s300 systems very well.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
To clear one matter up, is that a F-117 shot down over North Serbia was brought down by a modified SA-6 with infrared seeking head... I know of this account since I know this second hand from a person who was in this unit! Also during 90`s Serbs developed heat seeking head for SA-6 (naturally since its most numerous in inventory) also the head is TV guided day/night and switches modes during flight depending on jamming enviroment with secondary home on jam capibility.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

So the key is what way could be used to defend it or counterwork?
Other key is why we have never seen it fly ot be tested?

[edit on 21-5-2006 by emile]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A recent article indicates that it was an SA-3 battery (3rd battery of the Yugoslav 250th Missile Brigade) commanded by Col. Dani Zoltan.

F-117 shootdown article

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurker
Hey you wanna know something superb? Texas Intruments makes the guidence systems for most missles and rockets. They are also listed in the Defence stocks, wanna make some cash before the next conflict, buy a mutual fund.

Texas Instruments makes guidance systems? Interesting....

(sticks TI-83 Calculator in Model Rocket)

(Waits for passing F-22 Raptor)

*maniacal laugh*

Good find there. Was wondering what the next missiles would be.

join