It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Christmas: Friendly Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I always thought that Bill O'Reilly was an idiot, but... I don't really have a good way to end that sentence.

"Christianity is not a religion, it is a philosophy."

Seriously? Wow, even parodied by Jon Stewart, O'Reilly's stupidity isn't sufficiently lampooned.

Dai ly Show video

(For those that don't watch videos, Stewart and O'Reilly have been feuding, and this is Stewart poking fun at a "debate" that O'Reilly had with an atheist, where he stated, repeatedly, that Christianity is not a religion.)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I opened this thinking "Didn't we just finish this debate???

But now I see. Yeah, O'Reilly is clown shoes, but without the festive colors. I'm sure his mom loves him though.

~Heff
edit on 12/4/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
I always thought that Bill O'Reilly was an idiot, but... I don't really have a good way to end that sentence.

"Christianity is not a religion, it is a philosophy."

Seriously? Wow, even parodied by Jon Stewart, O'Reilly's stupidity isn't sufficiently lampooned.

Dai ly Show video

(For those that don't watch videos, Stewart and O'Reilly have been feuding, and this is Stewart poking fun at a "debate" that O'Reilly had with an atheist, where he stated, repeatedly, that Christianity is not a religion.)

Actually Bill is right Christianity was and is suppose to be about relationship not religion.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Christianity is a religion, but its foundational teachings - when built upon a consistent biblical exegesis and a well thought out and systematic theology - offer the adherent a firm philosophical foundation from which to view, understand, and interact with the world.

Indeed, systematic reformed theology is considered, by many serious students of philosophy, to be one of the few complete, consistent and holistically integrated systems of philosophical thought in the world.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

There is a war on christmas in the U.S.? That's funny... and I didn't even know.

reply to post by incoserv

Originally posted by incoserv
[...] when built upon a consistent biblical exegesis and a well thought out and systematic theology [...] systematic reformed theology is considered [...] to be one of the few complete, consistent and holistically integrated systems of philosophical thought in the world.

So christianity is a complete, consistent system of philosophical thought... but it needs to be properly interpreted, stripped and integrated first?

I guess every silly religion on this planet can be moulded into a "consistent system of philosophical thought" then?

Sounds like cherrypicking to me.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

This could be a lesson on perspective. The war on xmas was started by Fox because people were using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". On one hand Happy Holidays expresses inclusion of all faiths (or no religious faith) where Fox's perspective (and it IS nothing but fear mongering and the stupid idea that some people are attacking Christianity by saying it) stirs up stupid Christians into thinking Christ is being attacked in America. Which is more Christ like? People including EVERYONE in the holiday spirit or stirring up hate by saying Christians are being marginalized? Perspective, get some!!!
After all haven't Christians had there way with American society by feeding guilt and shoving religion down our consciousness for 200 years?
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Take your pick:

[source 1]
Christianity is NOT Religion

The need of the hour is to distinguish and differentiate between "religion" and Christianity. Most people in the Western world have so long identified these terms and thought them to be synonymous and equivalent, that it takes a sharp can-opener of rational argument, or the sharper still "word of God" (Heb. 4:12), to reveal the contrasting dichotomy between Christianity and "religion." This attempt to differentiate between the two may indeed be presumptuous, but on the other hand it might be used of God to bring the revelation of spiritual understanding that would allow someone to make the important distinction and enjoy the reality of Jesus' life.

www.christinyou.net...

OR.....

[source 2]
Is Christianity a Religion?

Religion is much more than man’s attempt to reach God. And Christianity is indeed a religion. Moreover, I believe it is dangerous –even foolish— to argue otherwise. The argument that Christianity is not a religion has many inherent problems. Most importantly, this line of reasoning is at odds with the English language, the history of the church, and good old common sense.

www.gracefamilybaptist.net...

------------

There are many links that say it's a religion, then there are some that say it's not.

I guess it's a personal choice as to what is compatible to ones beliefs and spiritual feelings.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I especially enjoyed John Steward's introduction of the concept of Christmas being so old that it was even being celebrated in the stone age!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Depends on what your definition of religion consists of. Many christians will say "it's a personal relationship with God" and rightly so, it is. Yet at the same time it is still a religion at it's core.

Not really sure what this has to do with christmas on it's own though, except i must say it gets on my nerves the way these christmas songs make people think Jesus was born on December 25th when he was born around mid September in the month of Tishei near Sukkot, and alot of christians think he really was born on December 25th because of it.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
To be a Christian is to attest to the Nicene Creed, which is tough to claim is a philosophical, not religious, creed. A relationship with God is part of our faiths, and most assuredly a Christian attribute, but I don't think that it's what defines being a Christian, and is also not a matter of philosophy.

In other news, O'Reilly dialed back his position, a bit, when pressed by a Catholic priest he had on his program Monday night:

O'Reilly: People who admire the philosophy of Christianity. But we are under siege...

Morris:The religion of Christianity. Let me correct you on that.

O'Reilly: We're not gonna debate that now.

Morris: It's also a religion.

O'Reilly:It's a religion but it's a philosophy that is being... administered by different religions. But we'll have you back for that discussion.

Morris: I couldn't let you get away with that.(Source, includes video)

top topics

join