It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would A Million Year Old ET Race Look More Like The Q? Strange Possibility Regarding The Fermi Parad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Watch this video at about 12:20:

It set me thinking. Is it perhaps possible that modern day descriptions of supernatural entities, could be encounters with races millions of years more advanced than us?

The bit at the end reminded me of a clip on Ancient Aliens were they interviewed cosmonauts from the Mir Space Station who said they thought they saw glowing angels outside the cabin. It's somewhere in this episode:

Might this be the answer to the Fermi Paradox? Are we perhaps not recognizing them, and dismissing the accounts we have?
edit on 4-12-2012 by Ajax84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ajax84
The bit at the end reminded me of a clip on Ancient Aliens were they interviewed cosmonauts from the Mir Space Station who said they thought they saw glowing angels outside the cabin. It's somewhere in this episode:

Found it @ 19:26- pretty cool!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Are you talking 1 million years since point of sentience?
I ask, since, well, Dinosaurs had some 300 Million years to do something, but, all they ever did was lumber about, eating plants, eating each other, pooping all over the place, basking in the sheer magnificence of being dinosaurs.

As to conjecture regarding aliens, there's that saying: Any sufficiently advanced technology beyond a certain understanding will be indistinguishable from magic.

I doubt, however, aliens are visiting us.
Saying so It's akin to the old Aliens are Demons threads.

edit on 4-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
As to conjecture regarding aliens, there's that saying: Any sufficiently advanced technology beyond a certain understanding will be indistinguishable from magic.

Speaking of which, I wonder where this "sufficiently advanced technology" came from:

I doubt, however, aliens are visiting us. Saying so It's akin to the old Aliens are Demons threads.

What if there isn't really a distinguishing line between them? Most religious people operate from a dualist natural vs. supernatural paradigm, and most atheists operate from a materialist paradigm so that may color how they view the issue.

Religious people will think they are not aliens but they are demons, whereas atheists believing only in a material realm will think they are only aliens. If the world is idealist though (that video suggests this) would there be any way to distinguish between a "very advanced alien explained with science" from a "supernatural being?" Instead of it being one or the other, might they be one and the same?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Are you talking 1 million years since point of sentience?

Dinosaurs, apes, birds, and even rodents are sentient. I think the OP meant 1 million years from the date of the pyramids or their extra terrestrial equivalent.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spaceinvaders

You may want to do some research regarding the philosophy and psychology behind the term Sentience.

It's general consensus that dinosaurs, birds, dogs, cockroaches, fish, or any other life that was, has been, and is on this planet is not sentient.
There's room for argument concerning porpoises, and apes to some extent, but, by degrees of comparison, the poster child of sentience tends to be what you see in the mirror every day.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I think you're the one who needs to explore the psychology and philosophy of sentience a little more. It is widely acknowledged that animals are conscious, sentient beings among those who do not cling to a medieval Descartes world view.

Stephen Hawking and other scientists declare that animals have human-like consciousness: www.huffingtonpost.com...

California court finds that animals are sentient, not "replaceable property": advocacy.britannica.com...

Oregon court finds that animals are sentient, "individual" victims of animal cruelty crime: www.oregonlive.com...

American Animal Hospital Association acknowledges animals are sentient: news.vin.com...

edit on 12/8/2012 by spaceinvaders because: added more sources

edit on 12/8/2012 by spaceinvaders because: more sources

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

reply to post by spaceinvaders

You may want to do some research regarding the philosophy and psychology behind the term Sentience.

It's general consensus that dinosaurs, birds, dogs, cockroaches, fish, or any other life that was, has been, and is on this planet is not sentient.
There's room for argument concerning porpoises, and apes to some extent, but, by degrees of comparison, the poster child of sentience tends to be what you see in the mirror every day.

It sounds like you are confusing sentience and sapience. Sentience is more of the subjective experience of an organism, which is obvious among cats, dogs, frogs and birds...at least. They can all obviously learn from their experiences. They don't all act the same given any particular pattern of inputs.

Sapience is more the the ability to experience (or know) sentience in the first place....

edit on 8-12-2012 by WhatAreThey because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join