It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old-school waffles: A dying breed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
So my old waffle iron died and I went to look for a new one. But all I could find are ones that make those "deep-dish" style Belgian waffles.

I don't want those. I want old-school waffles! Flatter, moister, tastier.

Let' be clear here about our terminology. Below are what I consider "old school waffles." The kind my now-defunct Black Angus waffle-maker used to churn out. Back before about 1980 or so, this is what "waffles" generally were, at least in my experience growing up in the US:

Note the square shape, flexible and pliant texture, and shallow indentations.

Nowadays, when you order waffles in a restaurant or go to look for a waffle iron, this is what seems to be available:

These are so-called "Belgian waffles." Note the larger, deeper indentations, round contour, and crispy, non-pliant texture.

Now, I hope you will pardon me if you are Belgian or whatever and your national heritage is all wrapped up in the latter style of waffles, but I am sick of these and I want the old-school waffles back! Where did they go? The taste of my childhood: Now obsolete! Sure, you can still get Eggo waffles, which are closer to the old style, but that's hardly a substitute for home-made old-school waffles, now is it! Is nothing sacred???

Rant over.

At least Joni understands how I feel:

edit on 12/4/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

couldn't resist

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Man,I thought when reading the title ,it was about the old guys,those who are old school and they were waffling on their beliefs ,mainly with work in my trade.

But I do like a good waffle.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's all about the batter!

If the standard belgians are too crispy for your liking, make a more liquid batter and/or turn the heat down on your waffle iron!

I too am a big fan of not-too-crispy waffles, my waffle iron is of the belgian variety.. You just gotta play the hand life dealt you sometimes!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No offence man, but pancakes are way better!

It shouldn't be overly difficult to find a new waffle iron.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You can get them frozen at the store. They still make them that way and sell them at the store.

Eggos anyone ?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think black and decker still make an old school style ? Maybe check out thrift stores or second hand stores ?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Farberware makes the model you're looking for and you can use less shortening than in the old irons.

Did a search for you: Farberware Waffle Iron

Couldn't find it new anywhere. May be out of production.

There's a George Foreman on eBay.
edit on 12/4/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thank you for the "light" post, because for some reason my mind cant' take in any more bad news or conspiracies today.

LOVE waffles.

But you're right. I bought a waffle maker a few years ago, and it is Belgian. I don't think I've ever seen a waffle maker like your old one.

I'd go to Ebay and look.

And waffles are way more interesting than pancakes!

Unfortunately, I can't eat wheat anymore--but I still make waffles for my family (because that's the kind of Mom I am!)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I agee, the new belguim style that you find is terrible.
You can get an old school one at crate and barrel.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The hell is a waffle? Looks like an outdoor floor tile. And you have to Iron it? Or they don't stick or something?

And black and decker make power tools...

so you're eating flooring? Do you want some door with that? Side order of window sill ?

You guys are really, really weird.

o.O

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I am inclined toward hoe cakes. Corn meal with a dash of salt, enough boiling water to make a thick batter. Fry ' em up in bacon fat and eat 'em with cane syrup or molasses.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by incoserv
I am inclined toward hoe cakes. Corn meal with a dash of salt, enough boiling water to make a thick batter. Fry ' em up in bacon fat and eat 'em with cane syrup or molasses.

As I read this I instantly sounded like Homer Simpson.

MMMMmmmmmm, Molasses

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I am a huge fan of the Belgian waffles.. although I do not like them too crispy on the outside. If you have the right recipe as stated above, you can make perfect waffles in no time!! MMM.. with maple syrup and some fruit. To die for!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Batter determines the flexibility and shape does not matter at all. I found all the basic shapes of waffles that is found in Mathematics.

Classy restaurant go for looks, and at this time, circular waffles cut in 4 quarters are easy to decorate, and will look better than square.

If you go to you average Joe food place, you will find square ones with lots of butter, just the way you like it.

But you are some what right, square ones are a dying breed. But i seen one at Wal-mart couple of months ago.

(post by FitBoy removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join