It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gotta Love Those Mountain Folks!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Hello, ATS!

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move. Thanks.

I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. People from other parts of the country always made fun of how the "mountain people" talked when I was growing up, and I guess they still do.

I used to be a little embarrassed of my "mountain slang", but now I embrace it. It is a dying language that was brought over by Irish settlers from Europe. I have even heard one researcher say it came down from Royalty.
(That makes me feel better!)
Although I don't speak with the same slang as the people in this video, there were a lot of folks who did where I was raised.
I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF WHERE I COME FROM! I wouldn't change a thing!

Do you all think people should be judged by the way they talk?
Source: www.pbs.org...

Stereotypes abound about the people who call Appalachia their home. The common assumption is that it is a region lacking in racial and ethnic diversity, populated mostly by whites of European ancestry. But the Smoky Mountains and Appalachia in general were actually settled by diverse groups of people. Coming to the area around 1000 A.D., the Cherokee Indians left a strong legacy; Oconoluftee, Nantahala, Hiwassee, Cheoah, Junaluska, Cataloochee, and Cullowhee are just a few of the places whose names pay homage to the Smoky Mountains’ Cherokee settlers.

And for those who need help understanding what we are saying...
www.tngenweb.org...

I hope this will help educate "outsiders" about the mountain people, and if you come for a visit, be sure to study the language in the dictionary I linked first so you will understand what we are saying.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Judging people by their accents and use of colorful local slang is like judging a book by it's cover. I have a deep southern accent and many a person has made the mistake of underestimating my intelligence- but it only took once to see the error of their assumption!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by sled735

Judging people by their accents and use of colorful local slang is like judging a book by it's cover. I have a deep southern accent and many a person has made the mistake of underestimating my intelligence- but it only took once to see the error of their assumption!

Thanks, littled16.

I agree. And, like you, others have misjudged my intelligence. They quickly learned they were mislead by my mountain accent.

Thanks for the S&F too.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I must admit I do have a bit of a knee-jerk response to southern accents and Appalachian accents. I didn't grow up hearing it (west coast city boy am I), and then it's only put in bad context on TV and movies. So, I can't help but go back to that snap judgement that has been ingrained every time I hear it. It does sound silly to me at times--and I automatically associate it with lower intelligence.

I am trying to unlearn my false programming, I swear!

But, on a similar note I have some hearing loss and often have to ask people to repeat themselves or slow down when talking. Scores of people have underestimated my intelligence due to my hearing impairment.

So, just remember, it's not that I truly detest southern or Appalachian people--it's just a contextual thing I learned from childhood. It is not so easy to break those childhood indoctrinations. The media using those accents to achieve comedic effect and draw on our preconceived notions of those accents doesn't help either. For example, the buffoon in a cartoon will often have a southern accent etc.

edit on 4-12-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks, NB! Good to see you!

Well, just keep working on it. There have been a lot of intelligent and famous people come from the mountains. I don't have time to post any right now (getting ready for work), but I will try to get to that tomorrow.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

There have been a lot of intelligent and famous people come from the mountains.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I'm just saying, it's mostly the way that media uses those accents that gives people that impression that southerners or 'mountain folks' are buffoons.

In general, people are hesitant to accept what is different from their own culture; this includes accents, skin color, clothes, foods etc, etc, etc. Every person views their culture as the best and esteems all others as inferior. It's up to everyone to work beyond this automatic prejudice.

Interesting thread--anything related to ethnology/ethnography highly interests me.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

edit on 4-12-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: Naw

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I reckon I oorta S&F this.

It's funny to travel and have everyone look at you like a hillbilly when you speak. I play along with it, laying the accent on thick and explaining that I had to buy my first pair of store bought shoes just to ride the airplane

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I always have been intrigued about the Appalachian dialects since I was a little girl and would read the Foxfire books.

I also loved to hear about the mysterious Melungeons.

I have no problem with my accent, it hardly ever comes out nowadays, but if I am upset, tired, drunk, talking to my mom on the phone or I am around others who share my accent, it will come out. Ya can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl. I have lived outside the south for most of my life, but those first years solidified my accent for sure!

IMO minus the stain of slavery and its negative consequences, the south has a rich culture and heritage and it is still very vibrant. If you are interested in interesting accents check out this one from Tangier island in Virginia!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Granny fetch them there vittles and brang um ova yonder....
I think you dun 'pletely overstimated your intelligense...

It is kind of silly to equate speech patterns, color or looks with intelligence. Albert Einstein was a genius and no one understood a word he said.

I think anyone that does that is limiting who they will be associated with and therefore depriving themselves from having meaningful relationships with people. Otherwise, I wouldn't have you and littled as my buddies

BAW33

My version of a mountain cat...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Now ya dun up and mixed the races- southerners and mountain folks!
Wut is this world a comin' to?

You're so crazy BAW33!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thescripter
I reckon I oorta S&F this.

It's funny to travel and have everyone look at you like a hillbilly when you speak. I play along with it, laying the accent on thick and explaining that I had to buy my first pair of store bought shoes just to ride the airplane

That's funny!

Thanks for the S&F!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Thanks for fixing my video, I hate trying to insert videos on my iPad. It never works right for me!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Thanks for that input, BAW33! You made an interesting point with Albert Einstein.

Yes, it is important not to judge others by ANYTHING on the outside. It's what's on the inside that's important.

Happy to have you as a buddy also.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

What? There are no suthen mountun folk?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Yes, it is important not to judge others by ANYTHING on the outside. It's what's on the inside that's important.

Otherwise you wouldn't be my buddy! Thanks sled.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

You are welcomed. Sure blame it on the ipod

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mijamija

Thanks for fixing my video, I hate trying to insert videos on my iPad. It never works right for me!!!

Thanks for the video, although I couldn't understand a thing those three guys at the beginning were saying!

Interesting dialect!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by sled735

There have been a lot of intelligent and famous people come from the mountains.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I'm just saying, it's mostly the way that media uses those accents that gives people that impression that southerners or 'mountain folks' are buffoons.

In general, people are hesitant to accept what is different from their own culture; this includes accents, skin color, clothes, foods etc, etc, etc. Every person views their culture as the best and esteems all others as inferior. It's up to everyone to work beyond this automatic prejudice.

Interesting thread--anything related to ethnology/ethnography highly interests me.

Absolutely, the media shapes and forms our views on just about everything.
Every time I see a show that "pokes fun" at the mountain people, I want to puke!

But, all it takes is being around these people for awhile to see they are some of the best people in the world!

Why do you think so many northerners are moving to the mountains?
THEY THINK THEY'VE FOUND HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join