It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South China Sea: The Ignored powder keg?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by randyvs

We kind of neutered Japans military gung-ho post WWII. In the meantime China went from being a disorganized nation to being one of the two most powerful military forceson Earth.

It's kind of like that kid you beat up in ninth grade, who was short and scrawny - and then he shows up to your 25 year reunion and is 6'8" and a solid 270.

Yeah. Japan needs to stay sober and leave the reunion early - otherwise it's all going to get ugly.

Another side note? When Japan looks at it's big buddy, the US, and says "Dude, China is all up in my grill - do something!". The US is going to have to say "Umm. sorry bud. But I owe China a LOT of money. You're on your own bro..."

~Heff
edit on 12/4/12 by Hefficide because: Yeah, I abused the word "power" during a backspace/restructure disaster. My apologies.

Just to chime in,

I don't think there will be any war with China. At least non nuke. And if it came down to war *with China, I don't believe that owing them money would mean scrap. We'd just dare them to come and get it.

My two cents worth. (*pun intended LOL!)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the question you should be asking is why the united states is in the south china sea.

what business do they have to be there.

why is the united states patrolling the world like the lapd.

I wonder the same thing. I'll never forget hearing for the first time, the US Navy commercial where the voice over stated at the end. "The US Navy, a global force for good."
When I heard that I knew something had changed. Kinda reminds me of that King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table quote, "Might for Right." (I hope I got that correct...)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thread update.

Things seem to be heating up

China asks army to be ready for regional war

China said it was normal for its marine surveillance aircraft to fly over the disputed Diaoyu islands after Japan scrambled fighter jets to intercept the Chinese aircraft early on Thursday.

Within hours of the incident, Communist Party of China (CPC) general secretary was quoted by the state media as ordering the largest armed forces in the world, People’s Liberation Army (PLA) to be ready to win “regional wars.”

As always stay tuned...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Instantly thought of this thread when I saw that story.

Trying really hard to stand by my opinion that there's really nothing to worry about over there....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Remain calm

All will be fi......................

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The Sabers have become unsheathed, it seems.....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
As I see it, China has three choices.

Do Nothing. (I don't think so!)

Execute a lightening move to capture, populate and weaponize those islands that she claims.

Wait for the US economy to fall over and then carry out the second one while holding a single digit in the air.

I think she will bide her time.

P

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

It's a lot more complicated than that I'm afraid many of those countries involved have claims in their own right.

I am surprised that for China to act overly aggressive in this situation as being OK and acceptable but if any other country were to do it, it would be considered over the top warmongering?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

If it was the US they would already have installed puppet Governments in the area. Oh, wait, yea, they have for some of them. Tried it on Vietnam and got their butts kicked.

If it was Russia, she would have already bulldozed her way in.

So this is China. China does have legitimate claims in the area. Have you looked at any of those claims. Some go a long way back in history. The US handed back the Islands to Japan after WW2. How did the US hand back something she had no claim to in the first place. Oh yea, she took them away from Japan who took them away from China.

So who does properly own them? I guess that is why the ownership is disputed.

P

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
If it was the US they would already have installed puppet Governments in the area. Oh, wait, yea, they have for some of them. Tried it on Vietnam and got their butts kicked.

Yes true but at least the US lasted longer than a few months in Vietnam unlike the Chinese when they got their asses handed to them while they were going to "Teach Vietnam" a lesson back in the 1979.

But now, we find those very same Vietnamese requesting a US presence.

If it was Russia, she would have already bulldozed her way in.

Like how they handled their Vietnam? I mean, how they bulldozed their way to victory in Afghanistan eh?

So this is China. China does have legitimate claims in the area.

So do the others.

edit on 14-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

If it was the US they would already have installed puppet Governments in the area. Oh, wait, yea, they have for some of them

So?

As if China, and other countries around the world "don't install puppet governments".

Tried it on Vietnam and got their butts kicked.

Vietnam was started by France who install their puppet government, and someone else had to clear up the mess.

Go ask a Viet cong at the receiving end of a B-52 barage who got their butts kicked.

f it was Russia, she would have already bulldozed her way in.

Russia got their butts kicked in Afghanistan.

So this is China. China does have legitimate claims in the area. Have you looked at any of those claims. Some go a long way back in history. The US handed back the Islands to Japan after WW2. How did the US hand back something she had no claim to in the first place. Oh yea, she took them away from Japan who took them away from China.

China got their butts kicked by the Japanese .

Funny thing bout history and what points others always leave out.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Give me one example of where China has installed a puppet Government!

The US lost the Vietnam war, there is nothing more to add! They Lost!

Yes Russia got their butts kicked in Afghanistan, so has the US. They are leaving, just like Russia did. Same outcome for both. Failure!

From a post on page 2 of this very thread.

"If I remember history correctly China was in the midst of a civil war and was a third world country when the Japanese attacked prior to WW2. I think it is a bit different now."

P

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
"If I remember history correctly China was in the midst of a civil war and was a third world country when the Japanese attacked prior to WW2. I think it is a bit different now."

So...

When Japan was the aggressor it was bad, now that China is the agresser it's good.

Whats the word I'm looking for here?
edit on 14-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   
I understand that the US has naval dominance, but I wonder at where their loyalty will lay if conflicts started in both this region and the Middle East. Do they defend Japan or Israel, can they do both? No matter which region kicks off first, the other region would have the perfect opportunity to do the same and really put the US forces to the test.

link   

Give me one example of where China has installed a puppet Government!

Taiwan

The US lost the Vietnam war, there is nothing more to add! They Lost!

There is a difference between tv and the actual battlefield

Yes Russia got their butts kicked in Afghanistan, so has the US. They are leaving, just like Russia did. Same outcome for both. Failure!

Yet again there is a difference between tv and the actual battlefield, and the internets.

Not really

Yep I do see a failure the failure of revisionist history.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

ROFLMAO Seriously, Taiwan! ROFLMAO

P

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaesDaemar

Two front war?

Wouldn't be the first time. We fought in the Pacific and Europe. The US would have to start the draft again like during WW-II. I'm not sure after Vietnam if the public would put up with it though.

Unlike WW-II both the US and her Allies are sitting on decades worth of unmolested military technological development. China isn't quite there yet but they are coming up fast both in tech and innovation.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DaesDaemar

I agree. The other thing to consider is that the US Fleet is not imune to an all out missile attack from China. China has already warned the US of the consequences of such an action when she surfaced an attack sub in the middle of a Carrier Task Force.

That was a sobering moment for the US Navy.

The US can do what it likes in some parts of the world, but China's door step is another story!

P

edit on 14/12/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I agree. A word of caution! We do not know what undisclosed military tech the US has, we also have no idea what China's tech level truly is. I for one don't want to find out. All of these announcements are certainly no indication of what is up her sleeve. The Sub incident mentioned above is just one example!

So how do we sort out these overlapping territorial claims.

P

edit on 14/12/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join