It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South China Sea: The Ignored powder keg?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
If this is Chinese attitude now what about later after they acquire more power and a revamped armed forces?Bad omen.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It seems as though Western 'International Law' is becoming more of an opinion than the rule. Japan have the backing of the 'International Community' as far as the Diaoyu Islands are concerned but that has not deterred China at all. The ICJ would rule in favour of Japan for sure but it seems like China thinks they can go around. Seems like China intends on creating new 'international law' and a new 'international communty'.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

So what you're saying is that "International Law" only applies to China when it's in their favor but doesn't when it goes against what they want? Now, I remember certain Western countries being dragged across the coals when they were perceived as doing the exact same thing.

Yet, What gets ignored are all those others countries rights to the same exact area. I think the "International Community" will have a few things to say about how China wants the international community to behave....

Not all good.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I agree, this situation among others has the potential to spark all out warfare in the area. But as many have asked, will the US get involved.

I think so....

www.newstrackindia.com...

Beijing, Dec. 4 (ANI): China has branded the U.S.-Japan security treaty 'a product of the Cold War' after Washington reaffirmed its commitment to Japan over the Senkaku islands dispute.

ALS

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by spangledbanner

So what you're saying is that "International Law" only applies to China when it's in their favor but doesn't when it goes against what they want? Now, I remember certain Western countries being dragged across the coals when they were perceived as doing the exact same thing.

Yet, What gets ignored are all those others countries rights to the same exact area. I think the "International Community" will have a few things to say about how China wants the international community to behave....

Not all good.

It just seems like China is trying to make new rules. Why else would they persist with this stuff? Its like how China and friends are making a new bank that seems like an attempt to replace the IMF/World Bank. It seems like China and friends are taking over the UN. China is pushing the yuan pretty hard lately. Seems like China expects there to be new rules soon. Im not sure who has just claim to all those islands but China sems to think that they do. If they do not expect the opinion of the 'international community' to change then I wonder why they would be so firm about all this.
edit on 5-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
the question you should be asking is why the united states is in the south china sea.

what business do they have to be there.

why is the united states patrolling the world like the lapd.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
english.peopledaily.com.cn...

The bill passed the other day by the US Senate that regards Chinas territory as under the authority of a US/Japan security pact really annoyed China.

Hong said the U.S. side has repeatedly stated that it will not take sides on territory disputes between China and Japan.

He said the U.S. side "should not send out signals that conflict with each other." He expressed the hope that the U.S. side would "proceed from the general situation of peace and stability of the region", "keep its words" and "do more things that are conducive to peace and stability in the region."

Seems like a nice way of calling America a liar.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by real_one

China and Russia becoming strong allies is a serious potential problem; I saw that coming a long time ago. Both countries have a mutual angst for the U.S. Individually, I think the U.S. can take each country on but not as a single unified force. This is why we have to tread carefully in the Middle East as the U.S. is Israel's big brother and Russia is Iran's big brother. There are actually several situations in the world that can set off events for World War because of ties between nations, their friends, and other nations. There has to be another War, the question is what will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back and send the World spiraling into conflict?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Read the Holy Bible.It is ALL in there.EVERY THING!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the question you should be asking is why the united states is in the south china sea.

what business do they have to be there.

why is the united states patrolling the world like the lapd.

You REALLY don't know?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well. Definitely the Chinese Empire is on the rise slowly but surely. It isn't just the naval disputes but even the western asian regions closer to China are in question if they will eventually be engulfed by the rising chinese influence in the region (Kazakasthan).

Looking at the arc of Chinese history, China has never been a naval power. Aside from the fifteenth-century explorer Zheng He’s naval expeditions, Chinese empires have traditionally focused on their land power. And even Zheng He, for all his skills as a naval adventurer, was eventually shored by the Haijin edict that marked China’s retreat from the sea. The focus for Chinese imperial dynasties was maintaining the integrity of their massive state.
CHINA's_INADVERTENT_EMPIRE
Surely this has caused a stir in region with arms race for defensive purposes amongst the smaller island nations.

Defence spending across the region increased 13.5 per cent to $US25.4 billion ($24.5 billion) last year and was expected to rise to $US40 billion by 2016, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute said.

Flush with economic success and wary of China's military expansion, countries are acquiring sophisticated sea- and air-based arsenals that include dozens of submarines that can operate in secret.

The institute said Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia had increased defence budgets by 66 per cent to 82 per cent from 2002 to last year.
ARMS_RACE_EXPLODES
Although it is politics as usual with certain percentage of disapproval, the Indian Defense has been signing several deals with US in addition to Russia and other EU nations to fortify their hardware.
US_INDIA_ARMS_DEALS
There is also a belief that if India, Japan & US cooperation can bring stability to the region with the rising Chinese question/threat.

India's new strategic ties with countries as varied as Japan, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, South Korea and Vietnam are important moves on the grand Asian chessboard to increase its geopolitical leeway. The US, for its part, has strengthened and expanded its security arrangements in Asia in recent years by making the most of the growing regional concerns over China's increasingly muscular approach on territorial and maritime disputes.

Both the US and India have deepened their strategic ties with Japan, which has Asia's largest naval fleet and a $5.5-trillion economy. The first serious Indo-Japanese naval exercise, involving a search-and-rescue operation, was held off the Japanese coast just five months ago. India and Japan, despite their messy domestic politics and endemic scandals, actually boast the fastest-growing bilateral relationship in Asia today....

With Asia troubled by growing security challenges, trilateral US-India-Japan security cooperation is also beginning to take shape. These three democratic powers recently held their third round of security consultations in New Delhi, underlining their shift from emphasising shared values to seeking to jointly protect shared interests. Their trilateral cooperation could lead to trilateral coordination, with a potentially positive impact on Asian security and stability.
TRILATERAL_MEETING
So yes the concerns are real in the region if not a powder keg situation. However just like any marketing slogan or campaign, there are several uncertainties/myths wrt China.

For China, 2012 was a humbling year. When the history of China’s reform era is written, this moment may prove to be a pivot point, a time when the myths that China and the world had adopted about the politics and economics of the People’s Republic began to wash away, leaving blunt facts about what China’s idiosyncratic national system has and has not achieved. Here are some of the myths that collapsed this year
2012_MYTHS_ABOUT_CHINA
Then there is the constant battle with espionage and proprietary information. While chest thumping (bloughing), the Chinese are slick enough to steal information to fortify their non-existent military hardware and/or for their exports sector of military equipment (most of the times).

Chinese state-owned company has pleaded guilty in the United States and been fined $3 million for conspiring to violate U.S. nuclear export restrictions on Pakistan.
The China Nuclear Industry Huaxing Construction company was charged with supplying U.S.-manufactured high-temperature coatings to a Pakistani nuclear power plant, using a distributor in China to evade U.S. regulations.

LINK
Ofcourse they would love/like to oppose as usual but looks like the game plan has been determined in the Asian chess game.

The legislation passed last week reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to Japan under the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security and warned that an armed attack against either party “in the territories under the administration of Japan” would be met in accordance with its provisions.
“The Chinese side expresses serious concern and firm opposition to the U.S. Senates’s amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act,” foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters.

LINK

edit on 5-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (fix links)

edit on 5-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (edit content)

edit on 5-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (edit links)

edit on 5-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I've only seen/read little snippets of the situation on skynews but I like the way you have gone about the situation in your OP.... definately doesn't look too good!!

Not going to say much except China look very greedy indeed trying to claim the whole Sea near enough as theirs...

Fxxkin As s holes!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

No nation in their right mind would dare to get into it with China, including the United States. China and Russia know that they can easily take over the world if they wanted to and they would not waste time with the minor squabbles in that area.

Would China risk losing its biggest consumer, and cash cow over the South China sea?

Would the US do anything other than bow to China and risk the trillions we borrow from them?

Are the right questions .

What happens in the South China Sea it will go unchallenged.

edit on 5-12-2012 by rockymcgilicutty because: re

edit on 5-12-2012 by rockymcgilicutty because: repost

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Prior to WW2 France was Germanys largest export partner.

edit on 5-12-2012 by rockymcgilicutty because: repost

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
S & F btw

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
They're just flexing.

"Look at my shiny boat, it has more missiles than yours!"

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
No problem at the South China Sea cos it's all about natural resources = Money and China got shiploads of them money to buy them out all those contending nations.

The real powder keg IMO is always going to be Diaoyu/Senkaku, where nationalism is going to run amok.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The only thing I am saying in this thread: it is not the first time that they are about to begin a war, but they will never really do.

It is just a show of showing the balls.
China would definetly lose the war, even if it does not seems like this in pure number, but they alsways had a huge army and were always defeated by the Japanese (just talking about China alone, without help of other countries).

I lived in Japan and my girlfriend is Japanese and I can just say Japan bought the islands. It is Senkaku Islands for me and it will ever be... but I still think they should just share.

The islands itself are not important when it comes to terretories, but the minerals and fishing grounds.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by aLLeKs
The only thing I am saying in this thread: it is not the first time that they are about to begin a war, but they will never really do.

It is just a show of showing the balls.
China would definetly lose the war, even if it does not seems like this in pure number, but they alsways had a huge army and were always defeated by the Japanese (just talking about China alone, without help of other countries).

I lived in Japan and my girlfriend is Japanese and I can just say Japan bought the islands. It is Senkaku Islands for me and it will ever be... but I still think they should just share.

The islands itself are not important when it comes to terretories, but the minerals and fishing grounds.

If I remember history correctly China was in the midst of a civil war and was a third world country when the Japanese attacked prior to WW2. I think it is a bit different now.

P

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It's overlooked because the plebe masses' brains are washed thorough with Jew Vs Muslim Vs Christian crapaganda. It comes par for the course in fundamentalist theocracies like the US.

If people focused on the fact that the Korean War never ended and that it was the closest the world came to a real nuclear war (Japan was merely a test run and MacArthur was dismissed by Truman for having his finger too heavily on the the button in '51), we'd be much more concerned about what the crazy Kims, the corrupt Chinese and the Bushido brainwashed Japanese were doing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join