It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge blocks ban on gay 'conversion' therapy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Brainwashing scam lol. The same could be said about the whole industry in psychology really.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

While I see what you are saying and going back to the link I read what is all about, I have to say that this type of therapy in my view is to affect minors and those that are under the watch of guardians perhaps the state? than single adults looking for personal therapy of any kind

I also understand that is religious rights behind this ban under the pretenses of Freedom of speech hiding behind freedom of religion

Still remember that if you are an adult that happen to be gay, you can chose a therapist if you need one that favor your personal preferences

I see more about wackos now trying to force families under religion guidance into having their gay tendency minors into some kind of religious prescribe therapies

Kind of double edge here for the religious groups and their straightening so call wacko therapies

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
This is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't matter whether or not a therapist is opposed to homosexuality. What does matter is that all research says that kind of therapy causes damage. We don't practice trepanation anymore because it is ineffective and dangerous. If any doctor was caught practicing it they would be charged with malpractice at the very least. So why do these quack's get a buy when their "therapy" is also ineffective and dangerous?

There are a lot of wacky, unproven, therapies out there, especially in California: chrystal therapy, masturbation therapy, various electrical and laser light therapies, past life regression therapies, etc, etc,

I think that, in order to be consistent, the state has to permit the choice of this unproven therapy like the others or ban all unproven therapies. The problem is, of course, if they did so, people would complain that it was a government plot to stop alternative treatments so I think that would not be very tenable.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dakota1s2

The 'therapy' is nonsense and the pressure comes from well meaning christian people, family, friends, TV programmes that frequently tell how gay is equivalent to sin and if you have these feelings you will burn in hell forever after death and be condemned to being sneered at and looked down upon by your fellow christians.
I realise that this mindset is less prevalent in many places and it might not make sense to some who haven't been a part of these types of communities but in the bible-belt areas of america it is serious.
The people growing up in those areas have such ideas deeply instilled, if they grow up to be judges they will make decisions in line with those ideas. If they grow up to be gay there is a stong chance they will be suicidal and therapies trying to 'cure' homosexuality leave vulnerable, unsupported gay people feeling condemned and hopless because their urges WILL NOT go away.
Sadly,the therapies will continue to be offered by pastors and church elders regardless of whether it is legal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join