It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screen flashes back at random times.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hello,

I'm not exactly computer savvy and haven't the slightest of clues as to why this happens. But, every now and then my TV screen flashes black for a small period of time. I use a HDMI cable to connect the tower (computer) to the screen, so I looked if that was loose, which it wasn't.

I searched the internet and I found some answers as in uninstall and reinstall the graphics card, but I'm useless at computers and was wondering if there's any other solutions.

Sorry about the lack of info and thanks in advance.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I had the same problem when hooking up my samsung tv to a laptop or games console, it was set to the wrong resolution, will tell more in a minute, on my phone and will be back to my house in a minute, will elaborate more then.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krono
Sorry about the lack of info and thanks in advance.

Well, here is the problem:

For anybody to even begin diagnosing your situation, you are going to have to describe your computer's specifications.

Operating system?

Ram?

Year of computer?

This is just an example.
We can start.

What Operating System (OS) do you use?

Is your computer custom built? Or was it purchased pre-assembled at a retailer?
edit on 4-12-2012 by Dan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Had the same problem with a new tv a few months back, I brought it back thinking that it was broken but it was a very simple problem, I had an xbox hooked up and it kept flashing black every so often same with a laptop, I had it set to the highest resolution but when set it to 1080i it stopped, worth a try, could be the same problem.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Is this happening when you computer is idle? or does it happen when you try to do something like display a video? gfx card drivers might be to blame but we should rule out the easier things first. it's a process of elimination. dodgy cable might be to blame but unlikely if you've made sure it's connected correctly. Are you purely using the tv via hdmi as a display or are you using both the tv and your pc monitor at the same time (dual display)? what are your specs? (tv, pc, gfx etc)
we will get there!!!

edit on 4/12/12 by Shakunetsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Todzer is onto something...have you got more than one thing connected via HDMI? They could be conflicting in some way. I have issues when my dvd and xbox are connected, the xbox tries its best to display something even though i'm watching a dvd, my tv gets mixed signals until i unplug/switch off the dvd player or xbox.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sorry for late reply, just remembered I made this thread, awful memory.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ 2.01GHz

Ram: 4gb

System Type: 64-bit operating system

Is that the info you need? Again I'm bloody useless, which is why I'm considering to learn IT in college.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

You shouldn't have problems with those specs really. Are you solely using the TV as a monitor with nothing else connected via HDMI?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Its not your screen saver is it?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shakunetsu

Never thought of that, it would be very funny if that's what it turned out to be, no offense OP

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shakunetsu
reply to post by Krono

You shouldn't have problems with those specs really. Are you solely using the TV as a monitor with nothing else connected via HDMI?

Nope nothing else and no it's not my screen saver you cheeky bugger.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

I looked at the resolution and its currently on 1024x768, the lowest i can go is 800 by 600.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry, was just trying to rule out the obvious. Fault finding is what i do for a living only i do it on telephone systems. Without being there its hard to say so my advice would be to work backward systematically until you find the thing that creates the problem. Make sure your resolution is set correctly and that your TV is set to receive the same. Try a different cable. Your gfx drivers are probably up to date but worth a check. My TV switches itself into a low power mode when it doesn't receive any new signals and so displays nothing, so it might be worth checking the manual for your TV to see if theres anything there you can switch off/adjust. Sorry if I haven't been much help good luck if you can read this that is !

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

Just go one down from the 1024x768 and make sure you do it on the laptop too, that is what was wrong with mine, very annoying problem, it looks like the tv is broke but it is just the tv trying to keep the picture clear, I was told about this by the samsung repairman, felt like a twat after

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Shakunetsu

Just because I'm from Wales, doesn't mean I can't read.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

yes it does and the same goes for speaking properly
only joking. best of luck, let me know if you solve it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Just like to say it seems to be fine for now.

Many thanks for your help guys.

new topics

top topics

join