It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the Good of All Humanity [2013]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We were watching Jeopardy! when the emergency broadcast message flashed on the television.

“Stupid tests,” Jordan snapped. He glared irritably at the boob tube. “And it was the Daily Double, too."

I shook my head. “I don’t think it’s a test,” I said. I leaned closer to the television and read the print scrolling across the bottom. “Urgent message from the White House….stay tuned for an urgent message from the White House…”

I glanced at Mallory, who had gone pale. “War?” she asked nervously.

“Nah,” Jordan said with a snicker. “It’s only three days until December 21 and the end of the world….I’m sure this has something to do with that freakin’ Mayan calendar.” He grinned wickedly at us both. “Or maybe they’re gonna announce that Obama isn’t an American citizen after all.”

“Shhhhh,” Mallory and I said in unison. The screen had changed; we were now watching the official press room. I felt a rising anxiety as I watched the reporters sit down in the fold out chairs. Mallory apparently felt the same; she came and sat down next to me, then placed her hand in mine.

Onscreen, the President strolled onto the platform. He carried nothing with him, and his face was solemn, but calm. He arranged himself behind the platform, cleared his throat, and smiled.

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,” the President said, smiling slightly. “I have momentous news to share.”

The lights dimmed slightly, and a large white screen slowly descended behind the President. When it stopped, an image of a huge bunker appeared.

“For the last twenty years, we’ve prepared for this event,” the President began. “Many European, Asian, and North American countries have built underground shelters and stocked them with food, medical supplies, and the basics of our civilization and way of life. At this time, each shelter is fully staffed with the most important members of our society; doctors, lawyers, professionals from every conceivable discipline.”

On the television, a low murmuring rippled through the crowd of reporters. Mallory squeezed my hand hard enough to crack my knuckles, but I hardly noticed. My heart was racing, and the hairs on my arms and neck lifted.

The President continued. “Each shelter is hidden, for the safety of the community inside. And each shelter has a full contingent of armed guards. Trespassers will be shot on sight.”

The murmuring grew louder. Jordan, his face pale, came and sat beside me. “Can you believe this crap?” he whispered.

I ignored him, my attention fixed on the television.

“We have done this to ensure our civilization, our way of life, continues,” Obama continued. “Hopefully, this will be a comfort to those of you watching this from home.” He turned his attention to the reporters. “Settle down, folks,” he said sternly. “I’m about to explain why these drastic measures are necessary.”

Slowly the room quieted.

Obama waited another moment for absolute silence. “As you surely have guessed, our world is facing a crisis of unimaginable proportions. This is our response. Unfortunately, we can’t save everyone. Nor do we want to.”

On the screen behind him, pictures of overweight, sickly, deformed, and handicapped people scrolled by.

“The advances in medicine in the last century have created a huge problem for our species. Current population is around 7 billion, and the majority of these people are….damaged. By allowing these people to reproduce, we’ve created problems with our own genetic code. Rampant poverty, prolonged drought and famine, and now the growing concern over global warming can leave us with no doubt…at our current rate of growth, our planet will be uninhabitable within the next century.”

No one stirred in the audience. I held my breath, knowing there was more to come.

The screen changed, now showing what appeared to be fragments of something metallic scattered over scrubland.

The President continued. “In 1947, an unprecedented event occurred in the area of Roswell, New Mexico. Contrary to all official reports, the fact is the US government did recover the wreckage of an unidentified flying object not of this Earth. We also recovered three bodies….two of the beings were dead, and the third died shortly thereafter. But not before he managed to explain their “mission.””

“Approximately two years later, the US government entered into a contract with the alien beings. In return for access to advanced technology, we denied all existence of such beings, and turned a blind eye to their abducting thousands of people. And we agreed to one more caveat; namely, that on a date to be determined, we would allow these beings to openly harvest the majority of humans on this planet.”

Beside me, Mallory moaned softly. Jordan shook his head and kept repeating, “What? What?”

“Which is why, beginning on December 21, 2012, the harvest will begin. We advise you not to fight, as our technology and weaponry are vastly inferior to theirs.”

I leaned forward and vomited on the carpet.

On screen, an overcrowded goldfish tank appeared. “Think of it this way,” Obama said. “When the population of goldfish in an aquarium reaches an unhealthy number, the owner must cull the weak, unhealthy fish. This improves the breeding stock, and the overall health of the aquarium.”

On screen, a squat woman netted fish and dropped them into a bucket, where they flopped helplessly and gasped for air.

Obama was saying something, but I didn’t hear it. My eyes were glued to the screen, watching the fish in their death throes. There was a pounding in my head, and dimly I heard someone screaming.

"Remember. This is for the good of all humanity. Best of luck to you all,” the President said, then walked off the stage.

I realized the person screaming was me.

edit on 4-12-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Its a good start, as it would happen in reality

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

OMG!

Scared me!

SnF, of course!

But jeez.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'd love to see the people's reaction if this turned out to be just another empty promise. Great work Smylee

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

One word: Disturbing !!!

Two words: Awesome read !!!

Three words: Starred and Flagged !!!

And a few more words:

"I'll take The End of the World for 500, Alex..."

top topics

join