It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorum: UN treaty on disabled will "Crush US sovereignty"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Agreed. UN treaties are the law of the land, over and above our constitution.

where on earth do you get this nonsense from??

In the US, treaties that get ratified ARE the law of the land BECAUSE of the copnstitution - the Supremacy Clause

and to get ratified a treaty has to achieve a 2/3rds vote in the Senate.

Please try to deny ignorance rather than demonstrate it!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
1) Rick Santorum is an idiot - he is the right wing equivalent to Chuck Schumer, comic relief... Why does anyone care what he says? I have no idea how he (or Chuck) gets reelected over and over but I suppose it is up to the people of those States to elect idiots if they so choose.

2) If we already have these laws on our books in the Americans with Disabilities Act then the whole thing is moot. There is no point in being a signatory to a UN treaty - it is the equivalent of wearing a red ribbon during drug awareness week. It simply is a statement - "see, look at me I care more than you do".

3) There is no reason for the US to be a party to any more UN nonsense as the organization is obviously useless. It is corrupt and ineffective.

Think how much money we'd save the taxpayers if we stopped participating and charged them rent on their prime NYC real estate and funding the whole enterprise. We get zero benefit from being a member - when was the last time the UN ever sided with the US on any issue.

It is simply a "feel good" forum for countries that don't matter to express their opinions about how evil we as Americans are.

Like people all countries are not created equal - who gives a crap what the dictator du jour of some African crap hole has to say about anything. It’s all a waste of time, effort and mostly for the US - money.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I still remember the horrible images of wheelchair people being beaten and pulled and arrested in the 80s. Yes they had to fight physically to be taken seriously to get bus ramps and building ramps and street-walks with slopes.

This treaty would not change anything in the US but endorsing it would basically tell the world that our US law is working so well that we propose it to any country. Tried and tested. For free for them to take and implement! Plus it would certainly stimulate our US economy by exporting products for the disabled to those countries who would adopt the treaty.

And yes, the UN treaties, just like any other treaty approved with 2/3 majority become the law of the land. This is what the constitution says and I don't see a problem with it.

But... the party of NO WAY must go against anything. Just remember anyone of us can become disabled in a wheelchair or worse. Hope none of YOU will have to go out one day and chain your wheelchairs to something so that you get some decent humaine treatment...

<< 1   >>

join