It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Online College Courses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Also, not exactly a credited sort of a deal, but Solomon Khan has an amazing website too! I use it not only for myself, but for my kids. I can not say enough about how incredibly amazing this site is! Solomon Khan is a god send!! Khan Academy

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

After reading the first few posts of your thread...I'm sure the negative feedback you received was due to the condescending manner in which you went about sharing said knowledge.

Good resources all around. Thanks for sharing nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

amuse yourself on the section of how life originated on earth from of a giant mass of unknown composition that exploded into uncountable pieces "billions" of years ago and some how managed to rearrange themselves perfectly into stars, galaxies, air, human beings, gold, plants etc. you name it.
reply to post by randomname

I'm confused; are you saying in your opinion aliens created this universe? A god?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'd take this.

A History of the World since 1300.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I know how you feel Druscilla. I made a thread about a particular course being offered on their website, and had a very similar response as you did. The whole "college brainwashing, don't try to tell me how to think" and the like.
Is this for real?? Think Again.

By the way Drus, I'm always happy when I see you posting in various threads. You always deliver a dose of reason and validity, which is so often lacking on this website. I'm a personal fan.

Your Favorite ATS Member(s) And Why (Notice I got some stars for that, I'm not your only fan)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by spleenika

I really have a difficult time attempting to understand that position; the position where some feel a militant aversion to anything they classify or perceive as being part of "society" along with all the paranoid and delusional trappings that go with it.
I understand the mechanism from a psychological perspective, and it's sad that so many are so afflicted, but, what can one do? It's an unreasonable condition that can't be reasoned with, so, I've lately been attempting to take a less assertive stance in just ignoring those kinds of noises.

It's free educational material. Take what you will from it, and reserve your right to hold any reservations regarding whatever beliefs one has.

Hundreds of millions of Christians, and people of other faiths are taught about evolution in grade school and none of it is all-of-a-sudden brainwashing them into devil-worshiping Atheists (yeah, I know; it's just a turn of phrase).
Thus, so long as one holds whatever belief they happen to have, they can still learn a great number of things without compromising what they believe in.

At the very least, if someone feels so strongly, so militantly against classical education, there's the whole philosophy of "know thine enemy" where it may very well may benefit whatever personal crusade to learn the ins and outs of contemporary classical education.

All in all, it's free education. What's to complain about? Who cares who the messenger is? It's free stuff. It's brain food. If someone showed up on my doorstep, knocked on the door, and dropped a huge bag of unmarked non-sequential, untraceable bills, and then walked off, I wouldn't care who they were, if they smelled bad, sneered at me, looked down at me or anything. I'd take the money and be happy for it.
Free education!
Like it or leave it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

What courses on here can be credited towards a uni?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasonicFantom
reply to post by smyleegrl

What courses on here can be credited towards a uni?

I don't think any of the free online 'open source' learning courses offer accreditation. They're there for self enrichment, and/or supplemental/refresher learning.

I could, however, be mistaken in this, and some courses may very well offer accreditation.
Checking with each University that offers courses would give a sure definitive answer.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Only thing I found that they grant are certificates of completion. Those are non-credit bearing. Or am I mistaken? Well, haven't looked through each one, just picking them at random.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by iwilliam

The general consensus of the hate mails was they felt I was talking down to people and rubbing their noses in not having had a University Education, and/or foaming at the mouth Fist-Up-In-The-Air declarations against the poison, mind control, programming, and other such they felt classical education stood for.

Oh dear.

Maybe they were just put off by your looks Druscilla, not everyone is good looking.

Feed em fish heads, thanks for the links, both in your post and in this OP

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You know, I'v disseminated this information and link everywhere I could think of, my various forums and FB and the like, even in emails to friends. All I have gotten is a 'Meh' or complete disinterest. People are Content it seems i their current lives. I guess something that Obama capitalized on in his last election. America doesn't seem to want to progress or invest any effort in advancing themselves. I mean the list is of some very venerable institutions, and for crying out loud..... their .....FREE......

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I made a thread a while ago about this, see there for similar websites:
More like Coursera!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Great and useful link . Thank You !

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I signed up for a film class on there.

Great class!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I signed up for 6 classes...

This is the first time I thought about worldwide education. I'm 21. This is a huge step towards making the world smarter. This news is very refreshing.

Ten years later - hundreds of thousands of cameras in classrooms around the world. Or would they take a different approach, more like Powerpoint/ Youtube -type videos accessible via internet? Either way, available to everyone for free.

I can't think of any problems cameras in all classrooms could cause.
edit on 12-6-12 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm taking Drugs and the Brain and Astronomy courses. They're pretty hard core, as I'm only a sophomore in high school. I don't think I'll take more than two at the time because I still have my high school work.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws
I'm taking Drugs and the Brain and Astronomy courses. They're pretty hard core, as I'm only a sophomore in high school. I don't think I'll take more than two at the time because I still have my high school work.

I have a minor in brain development and several hours of astronomy under my belt. If I can help you, just ask!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join