It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Online College Courses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Mods, I'm not sure if this violates T&C. If it does, I apologize, and I ask you delete it.

While at a workshop, I was given this link to free online college courses. Some of the courses are for credit, and may be transferred to the college of your choice. Other courses are just for your own interest and self improvement.

Enjoy!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Thank you.

I bookmarked it, for when I get some time to look at it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Excellent find Smylee.

I like the variety of courses offered. there's something for everyone there.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks so much! I can't wait to start one of these up later in the evening!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Oh My... bless you 10 fold back and may your Holidays be as merry as possible !

I've not seen a full index of them ..there are so MANY...and Princeton, John Hopkins, Duke, Vanderbilt....WOW.... THANK YOU. These are NOT Matchbox U. B.S. basket weaving courses. I'm making changes in my own college direction and some of those may just be extremely valuable to me. I have to get with school admin to see how it translates over for credit and on to Missouri State after that but that list is pure GOLD.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Very nice ! Have signed up for 2 courses already that I am going to study when I have some more time. Thankyou for the link!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I did a thread on this awhile back, but most people hated me for it.
I think I even got hate mail and respected foes from that post.
540+ Free online Courses from top Universities and more

edit on 4-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Oh heck yea!!

There was a thread a while back that linked to some classes and I had a blast with those. Now it looks like I have quite a few news one to go through.

I love taking classes but what sucks is it really means nothing to society or the job market unless I paid a ridiculous amount of money to take the class to get a piece of paper. I wish you could just take a test!

I was always the one in school ready for HW and willing to do extra credit. I remember my teachers giving out say odd numbers to do. Well' I'd do the rest of them just for the heck of it. I've been told I'm weird for it but I love to learn new things. It really does exercise your brain!

Ok now to see what I can take!!

OH I'm SO signing up for this one!!! It also states you get a certificate from the instructor which for what i want to do for work or school would be a nice thing to add to my resume

Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life
edit on 12/4/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

Also signed up for:
Introduction to Sociology
Social Psychology
Modern European Mysticism and Psychological Thought

They are all spaced out pretty well. I'll be out of work due to maternity leave so I'll need something to keep me entertained til the baby comes. The last course doesn't have a date yet but it is one of interest so I'll take it. There are a few math courses I'd like to take but they started already

Thanks for this! I am waiting for the first one to start, the astrobiology course.

edit on 12/4/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Great post, OP. Thanks for the resources. More links like this never hurt... even if I don't have the time to study ALL the ones I want.

Originally posted by Druscilla

Why would someone send you hate mail for something like that? What kind of stuff did that say, if you don't mind my asking? I'm having a hard time imagining the reaction.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

The general consensus of the hate mails was they felt I was talking down to people and rubbing their noses in not having had a University Education, and/or foaming at the mouth Fist-Up-In-The-Air declarations against the poison, mind control, programming, and other such they felt classical education stood for.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I am sorry people gave you a hard time.. If I would have seen the post I would call you a hero, both you and the OP are heros ^^..

The day I quit ATS is when the depressed losers down someone for striving for an education or being curious to learn.. There is only so much stupid I can take

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Oh, have you tried Alison online as well?

alison.com

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
There are lots of websites like this popping up, i have some bookmarked and shall return

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla Often enough, many of us with Academic Accreditation find ourselves attempting to explain basic, simple, practical, entry level concepts to members ignorant of such, and wind up bruising someone's delicate feelings over their lack of education.

I believe this is what sparked the fire thread and hate mail you speak of. I agree with the poster in this thread, this may have been what turned people off imo. On topic, Thank you for the link in this thread in the op. I will check it out!!! S&Fs

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I recommend MIT OpenCourseWare. Free learning.

edit on 5-12-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
astrobiology and the search for extraterrestrial life from edinborough university.

learn and watch how top university professors ignore the 10's of thousands of eyewitness reports of ufo's and abductions and work on the assumption that no life exists outside of earth.

amuse yourself on the section of how life originated on earth from of a giant mass of unknown composition that exploded into uncountable pieces "billions" of years ago and some how managed to rearrange themselves perfectly into stars, galaxies, air, human beings, gold, plants etc. you name it.

laugh how you stump your professor by refuting his crock of bull by explaining to him that the odds of that being true are the same as a carpenter going to home depot, buying lumber, strapping c4 to it, blowing it up and having it land right in front of him as this:

well, minus the steak and roasted potatoes that's going to be served, he would have to blow up a cow and bag of russet potatoes for that.

but it should be a good course, just to know what the "smart" people think.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

This is wonderful smyleegrl. Thank-you so very much.

I have always been fascinated with the night skies so "Introduction to Astronomy" is perfect for me.

Now, all I need to do is brush up on my maths - school finished for me when Madonna's first album came out

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

That is a real shame. You must have been quite upset, I know I would have been.

I have just read that thread and your opening post was generous in its tone, it seems you were trying to give others an opportunity at self-improvement.

Indeed you can only lead a horse to water.

Thank-you for the wonderful information as well.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

YES, YES, and YES!

A friend of my girlfriend showed me Coursera, and it's so interesting! I'm going to be signing up for a class or two come January. I think it's a great tool for "life-long learners" to really keep their minds fresh. I believe they even had something on CNN some months ago about this very website. I'm excited to be able to take some courses through it. I know that they don't technically "count" for anything, but it always looks good on a resume to say that you are furthering your education.

If anybody is interested in learning basic Javascript, HTML/CSS, Python or Ruby, Codecademy is also a great free resource for furthering your education. I've been taking the HTML/CSS, and Javascript courses on the website, and it makes the programming very easy to understand. They also have "live" teachers that will help you to understand the coding if you need it.

Great find Smyleegrl!

-TS

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I recently joined this at the recommendation of someone from ATS....I absolutely love it. I already have a degree and grad level courses but its just fun to take if you want to kind of be back into a school setting without the financial burden.

I have heard some states are trying to ban it....and I know the website is very new with over 2million members. In my words id say its going to be the next biggest thing. They are working on getting accredited to transfer classes, and things of that nature.

I think its really cool however I can't quite say its real college yet as its easy to cheat on the tests/homework, but hopefully since its new things improve. Great site though!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join