It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really in December?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Here in the SE of USA, it has just started the "normal" winter cycle.
It is warmer than normal but that won't last long.
The winter cycle goes like: rain and turn cold for a few days; then rain and turn cold for a few days; then rain and .... This goes on until the ground turns to mud, then it freezes to ice for about two weeks. By late Feb the trend reverses.
I know it's not too bad for most people, it just take getting adjusted to it. The normal temps will get to the low twenties, but with the high humidity and wet ground, it feels colder.
Several years ago I came home after work just before Christmas and found my family in our storm cellar. It seems we were under a "tornado warning" and they knew -- better safe than sorry.
It was very warm that year also.
edit on 5-12-2012 by seriousskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
reply to post by olaru12

Ski centres in Scotland opened this past weekend:

www.bbc.co.uk...

In fact, there was a good 50cm of snow high up on the mountains back in late October/early November. The rest of the UK is either wet or disappointingly warm - about 2 or 3 degrees C tomorrow. Though I am getting that from the Met Office, so I should probably expect something worse.

I'd say its awfully winter in scotland at the moment, my car is heavily iced over every morning, traveling to work is anything from -4.5 to 1 Celcius kinda what id expect this time of year!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Here in central Montana temperatures have been above average. By this time of the year there is usually a large snowpack down, enough that ski resorts would be in full swing. Right now the mountains near me (The Crazy Mountains) have some snow but nothing like usual, and the plains have zero snow. This would be the second warm and dry winter in a row if the trend today continues, which is NOT good for the cattle. 6000 acres of ranch land, along with 2 leased state sections (a section is a square mile) and we still couldn't find enough grass to feed them, where as typically they would be feeding off the grass until the snow is too deep to dig down into. This year it was gone by mid august. Sad sight.
edit on 5-12-2012 by kyle1113 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2012 by kyle1113 because: grammatical errors...sorry it's early

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

When my family lived in Anchorage, Alaska, our kids wanted to run through the sprinkler as soon as they could. Our rule was that they could as soon as the temperature got to 65 degrees. It is amazing how the human body can adapt to different temperatures. In a research experiment eskimo men were able to sleep uncovered in 45 degree temperature. So yes men can sweat at 64 degrees even if they aren't obese!

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Maybe, but there is a documented weather-history of about 180 years prior. I don't argue with that amount of data. And believing that there were worse years is just that - believing. I don't trust believe if it comes to cold, hard facts about reality.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

It happens. I remember it being 70 in Jersey when I was a kid. That was about 30 years ago. Its just the weather changing from Summer/Fall to winter.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Shhh...I'm enjoying this mild December. Don't complain.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
We've had quite a few 60 days here in KY, even a few 70s. It definitely does not feel like it's almost Christmas.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Below average temperatures in the UK for this time of year. A lot of snow, temperatures in the - degrees (c).

Rumour has it that it will be the harshest winter for over 100 years with temperatures falling well below -20(c).

BRING IT ON!

DON'T BRING IT ON - is my personal viewpoint!

I hate the cold with a passion. Makes life so much harder.....but gives us something to talk about.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Must be nice. It is currently -12 C (~ +10 F) here NE of Edmonton Alberta and that is the expected high for today. Warmer than yesterday and a lot better than the couple of weeks of -35 C we'll probably see at some point this winter
At some point I should go shovel my driveway, but I'm in no hurry to go anywhere.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A lot colder in Britain than last year. Not as cold as 2 years ago. Looks like very normal winter weather here to me.

There are always some places which are warmer or colder than usual during December in the N Hemisphere - this happens on average 1 year in 1.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychoparrot

It's impossible for this to be the coldest winter in 100 years in Britain. Worst case its the coldest in nearly 250 years, next worst the coldest in 50 years. Most likely scenario - given that December is looking ike being the coldest for 2 years is that ........ it'll be a cold but not exceptionally cold, winter.

The media make up nonsense to sell papers.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Things have gotten crazy the past 2-3 years here. Last year there was no snow til January, and even then it barely snowed.
Just 5 years ago and earlier, EVERY single year there was snow by November. When I was younger, there were snow days at least once a year. Hasn't been one in a couple years in my hometown.
It was 70 degrees a couple of days ago!!! haha, I asked a friend that day if it was December.
I went out in shorts today!
The other NIGHT, I went out in shorts and a t-shirt. WTF?!?

Something is seriously wrong. It's SO in our faces. You have to be denying it hardcore not to see it at this point.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

I was in Edmonton 3 weekends ago for the FarmFair international livestock show, and MAN was it cold up there. I was quite glad to be back in MT! (Late of course, due to the customs veterinarian delaying our return check due to the snow)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The weather in Wisconsin has been VERY strange for the last two years. Summer 2011 was fairly normal if a bit hotter than usual, but nothing to get concerned or worried about.

Winter 2011/2012 was A LOT warmer than prior winters here. My whole life in the winter the snow would show up after Halloween (or just prior to Thanksgiving) and stay on the ground all winter until around late April. Winter 2011/2012 we didn't get snow on the ground in my region of the state until AFTER Christmas. It was in the 40's for my entire two-week Christmas Vacation. It was in the SEVENTIES for an entire week in early March. Our apple tree blossomed during that time and then never produced apples in 2012. It always produced apples before that. We probably had snow on the ground for a total of two weeks all winter. The rest of it came and melted immediately.

Summer 2012 was RIDICULOUSLY hot. 90 and 100 degree temperatures for the end of June, and the ENTIRE month of July, and almost no rain. While 90 and 100 degree temps in WI in the summer is not unusual having it EVERY day all summer is unusual. We usually only have a few days of that every summer. Average temps usually range from the high 60's to low 80's. By August every yard in my city was brown and they started toying with sprinkling bans.

Fall/Winter 2012 is now in affect and the weather is still odd. We haven't had any snow (other than a few flurries that did not stick), and two days ago it was in the 60's and now it's at a more normal 30 degrees.

I'm not complaining or anything about the mild winters because I hate winter. But it does make me wonder how/why the climate here has changed so much in the last two years.

edit on 12/5/12 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/5/12 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
KS/OK border...the warmth is fine. but coupled with this very serious drought, it makes me think next summer we will fry to a crisp. I heard a rumor the drought is supposed to last 5 more years. There has already been a serious dust storm in the area that caused a multi-car pile-up on I-35. I think they said visibility was 10 feet. And they just showed the PBS Dust Bowl doc. to get people in the mood. I moved here in 2007 and it was lush in the spring and summer, gardening was great and everything did well. Trees stared dying 2 yrs ago, some maybe from pests, but I know some dried up before our eyes. It is discouraging and a little scary.

The water supply is key during times like this, and they are fracking away with impunity. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle1113

I was in Edmonton 3 weekends ago for the FarmFair international livestock show, and MAN was it cold up there. I was quite glad to be back in MT! (Late of course, due to the customs veterinarian delaying our return check due to the snow)

It was only around 0 C (32 F) three weekends ago in Edmonton. That's positively mild.

I'm looking forward to Jan and Feb when the high will be around -25 C most days.

A few years ago in early Jan, I proved to myself that my car's outside air temp thermometre does indeed only go down to -40 C/-40 F. I watched it drop until it hit -40 and then stayed there for mile after mile until I got near Edmonton where it started to climb up to about -36 C. Note that this was around 10 AM.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
I posted about this on another thread. I live in Missouri. We had a very warm November last year and this year was even warmer.

It was 74 degrees on December 3rd. It broke a record for the warmest day in December ever. I feel like we are breaking records every other day.

To add to this, yesterday, it was said 2012 is currently tied for the warmest year on record in our area and it isn't even over yet. Another record about to be broken.

I remember as a kid on Halloween almost every year it either snowed or was freezing rain. We always had snow on the ground well before Christmas. I remember one year we only went to school for like 4-5 days the entire month of December because of snow and Christmas break. Then it would tend to snow January-March.

There were no snow days for the schools last year for the first time in my life. None so far this year either.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Got a dusting of snow today so far, nothing to write home about though

Certainly not enough to start my rink

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by erwalker

Originally posted by kyle1113

It was only around 0 C (32 F) three weekends ago in Edmonton. That's positively mild.

I'm looking forward to Jan and Feb when the high will be around -25 C most days.

A few years ago in early Jan, I proved to myself that my car's outside air temp thermometre does indeed only go down to -40 C/-40 F. I watched it drop until it hit -40 and then stayed there for mile after mile until I got near Edmonton where it started to climb up to about -36 C. Note that this was around 10 AM.

I believe it might have been a little cooler, the wind and snow blowing wasn't helping i guess.

Well I must give some props to you. Below zero (Fahrenheit) is common here in winter, but nothing that far down.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join