It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's Mursi leaves palace as police battle protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Egyptian police battled thousands of protesters outside President Mohamed Mursi's palace in Cairo on Tuesday, prompting the Islamist leader to leave the building, presidency sources said.

Officers fired teargas at up to 10,000 demonstrators angered by Mursi's drive to hold a referendum on a new constitution on December 15. Some broke through police lines around his palace and protested next to the perimeter wall.

The crowds had gathered nearby in what organizers had dubbed "last warning" protests against Mursi, who infuriated opponents with a November 22 decree that expanded his powers. "The people want the downfall of the regime," the demonstrators chanted.

"The president left the palace," a presidential source, who declined to be named, told Reuters. A security source at the presidency also said the president had departed.

This would be the appropriate time for Obama to insist he step down.

Would it not?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Egyptian President Morsi leaves presidential palace as protests turn violent

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Crowds around the capital and in the coastal city of Alexandria were still swelling several hours after nightfall. The large turnout signaled sustained momentum for the opposition, which brought out at least 200,000 protesters to Cairo's Tahrir Square a week ago and a comparable number on Friday. They are demanding the Morsi rescind decrees that placed him above judicial oversight.

Protesters also commandeered two police vans, climbing atop the armored vehicles to jubilantly wave Egypt's red, white and black flag and chant against Morsi. Nearly two hours into the demonstration, protesters were mingling freely with the black-clad riot police, with many waving the flag and chanting against Morsi.

There were as many as 100,000 protesters in the immediate vicinity of the palace and the wide thoroughfare that runs by it. Thousands more filled side streets leading off the area.

Many in the crowd were chanting "erhal, erhal," Arabic for "leave, leave" and "the people want to topple the regime" -- two well-known chants from the 2010-2011 Arab Spring revolts that toppled Mubarak and other Middle Eastern and North African rulers.

www.washingtonpost.com... 9c5_story.html

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yea.. hes hauling azz, he remembers what happened to Ghadaffi.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Yea.. hes hauling azz, he remembers what happened to Ghadaffi.

They don't fool around over there, that is where we are lacking, we are listless.

I do wonder what the people of Egypt really want.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Is he running or simply getting out of the way? The man is the public face of the Muslim Brotherhood and immense forces behind it, within that region. I don't take him to have come up with the ideas himself or be doing this by his own personal concepts of running Egypt. So, I wouldn't take his actions now to be about personal futures and running. I could be proven all wrong, in which case I'll be happy.....it'll mean this really ISN'T a Caliphate being organized from behind the scenes for the world to watch.

On the other hand, if pieces have been moving by design for the last year or more....then public reaction to recent decrees just 'won't do' and trouble in Cairo is too small a thing to derail the efforts across a half dozen nations or more. I hope the people in Cairo are very careful right now and VERY aware of security force movements, military locations and general activity that isn't a part of their own push for freedom.

China's reaction to some loony folks wanting to yell about freedom in the 'public square' comes to mind.......and I hope for once, I'm wrong. I hope he is alone and really starting to fear for his own safety. Events just don't suggest it likely, IMO.
edit on 4-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Arab Winter it seems.

In any case they protested the last government out.
Why not protest this one out too.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Egypt: mass protest at presidential palace in Cairo – live updates

www.guardian.co.uk...

This sure isn't getting the media attention or the Obama support as the Arab spring.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Arab Winter it seems.

In any case they protested the last government out.
Why not protest this one out too.

Missing a sarcasm tag by any chance?

A truly evil regime does not get “protested out”.

The protesters get shot and buried in mass graves.
Welcome to the real world.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Strong arm tactics
Cencorship
Rigged Elections

I guess he was Evil Regime "Light".

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Strong arm tactics
Cencorship
Rigged Elections

Corrupt regime? …..Yes…
Evil regime? …. Not in the slightest..

The population has truly become sheepish if they thought the last government was evil.
I guess, sooner, or later, the sheep are going to get slaughtered, then people will see what evil truly is.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
twg2a.wordpress.com...

Is this how they see Obama?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
‘I’m so disgusted’: How Egypt’s protesters are fighting sexual assaults

www.washingtonpost.com...

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Egypt President Morsi's supporters clash with opposition protesters in Cairo
www.cbsnews.com...

Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi's supporters and opponents clashed Wednesday outside the presidential palace in Cairo, pelting each other with rocks and fighting with sticks.

The clashes began when thousands of Islamist supporters of Morsi descended on the area around the palace where some 300 of his opponents were staging a sit-in.

Outnumbered by their attackers, the protesters were driven away from their sit-in location outside the palace's main gate and fled to side streets.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.livestream.com...

live stream,

anybody hear crickets?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Dictatorship is all those people have ever known, it's a way of life there. You need an iron fist to keep those wild people in check. Typical day there is: riot, riot, riot, protest, riot, protest, protest, storm palace and demand new government. Wash rinse and repeat.
edit on 6-12-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join