It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 1 and the End of the Mayan calender/transition/doomsday/4th dimension

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

There's a big difference between tip toeing around the solar system and making the plunge into interstellar space. Like I said, its just amazing to me that these news tidbits are coming out at this particular point in time.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

Yes you did. To quote your OP:

"So, this made me think that maybe this could be the change that the Mayan calender predicted"

Where as in reality, it didn't predict any changes, as much as December 31st predicts no changes other than the next year being brought along.

Where's the 13th Baktun calendar? Well I'd say it was either lost to time, or much, much more likely it was simply never made as a physical object. I bet the Mayans figured that they would have plenty of time to make a new calendar by the time they needed it when 2012 came along so simply didn't make one, same way you couldn't go out and buy me a calendar for the year 4200.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sajuek
Sorry to burst your bubble. But Voyager won't enter interstellar spece until 2015, so I think you will have to reschedule your, awakening, or whatever you were expecting.

Oh and the Mayans also didn't predict anything would happen on 21/12/2012, their calender just moves on to the 13th Baktun.

I love how people say "These things are unrepdictable. Scientists can never predict the sun/earthquakes etc etc!" etc etc.

But people with limited scientific instruments sitting around in caves can get it down to the day 2,500 years in the future.

Ah, but have you considered the possibility that these people with "limited" scientific instruments that were sitting around in caves were actually more advanced than we are presently today? Technology and machinery is not the only way a civilization can advance. Knowledge can be obtained by many methods, some of those methods perhaps have been lost on modern man.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Sure. But without any empirical evidence there's no reason to ever assume that.

Archaeological and historical records of Aztec and Mayan civilizations are extensive (Like the Egyptians and Chinese, they were good record keepers), and while they did some amazing things, there's nothing to suggest that such technology, or the means to create it ever existed. The Mayans never figured out how to forge metal or make glass, for example.

While I wouldn't suggest that we have all their secrets, there's simply no way they would be able to take measurements thousands of years ago which supersede anything we can do today with the telescopes other sensitive instruments which we have available to us today.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sajuek

Sorry I phrased that part wrong...and I could make you a calender for 4200 if you want, I'll get back to you on that in about 3 months.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sajuek
reply to post by Helious

Sure. But without any empirical evidence there's no reason to ever assume that.

Archaeological and historical records of Aztec and Mayan civilizations are extensive (Like the Egyptians and Chinese, they were good record keepers), and while they did some amazing things, there's nothing to suggest that such technology, or the means to create it ever existed. The Mayans never figured out how to forge metal or make glass, for example.

While I wouldn't suggest that we have all their secrets, there's simply no way they would be able to take measurements thousands of years ago which supersede anything we can do today with the telescopes other sensitive instruments which we have available to us today.

the thing is, you're right - they never had optics/lenses or even the crudest of glass.. yet some of their astronomical knowledge, visible in calendars, architecture, etc - requires more than just low-tech observation (using sticks for alignment/etc) and long-term record keeping.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wheelindiehl

Very interesting read I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Is there a timeframe from voyager.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join