It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to post links that don't work because they are too long ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
www.dattsstamhehea-kha.net... sh WasTheWorstPresidentOurCountryEverhad AndHiswifeWastheOffspringofAliesterCrowleyplusHewasClonedLike42times,com

the above is not a real link, just something i made up as an example.

but often times a member will have trouble posting a link they they feel is important.

the above link is too long, or it may have a space in it which causes it to look like it does ... the colored lettering has extra characters after it.

to fix this ...

go to the 'tiny url' website

paste the url you are trying to link to

copy the resulting PREVIEW link that is generated for you and paste it in your post.
[the main link generated by tiny url does not work here]

when that is properly posted in your post, it will link a member to a preview page that lists the long url with a link to it.

here is an example ...preview.tinyurl.com...

there may be other ways to do this ?
but i have seen a number of people have this trouble so i put this here.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Often links will contain referral codes at the end of them. example http....yahoo.com/newstory/kimkardashianmarriesforthe48thtime=?apoinfoe=apoidsfpoi%ioinfponf...."

Simply edit out everything after this" kimkardashianmarriesforthe48thtime" and it should work.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I am kind of new but what I have started doing is using the "Link" button. It asks what word you would like to use for the link then it asks for the address.

So you could type "Source" or something like that and it will link people to sites when clicked on.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

You can use whatever is appropriate. The word "Source" is easiest is you've just used the [ ex ] tags for external content. But it can really say anything you want.... like...

"PROOF"
"LINK"
"Where I found it"

In other cases I often use the "link" button in paragraphs. If you're writing a thread about Apple Computers, speficialy about Steve Jobs, for instance, you might simply throw in Wozniaks wiki page in conversational reference, like:

....Jobs then co-founded apple computers with Steve Wozniak in April of 1976....

This enables you to give readers a vast amount of reference material without having to do all of the work yourself.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
thanks for the extra input, guys!
it really wastes a lot of time for posters to go back and edit their links 'cause without them the post looks irrelevant and may get flamed by the comedians on this site [ i'm one ]

the above was done thru the link button, without entering a title in the first message box that comes up.
i don't believe that only entering a alternate title will solve the problem i describe, but it may work for other issues, plus links may look more intresting with a better caption.

feel free to list solutions / suggestions to link related problems here.

top topics

join