It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole Watch 2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm glad people like you keep your eye on these kind of things, if there are people who say "this is normal," NO IT'S NOT...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Philosophile

THIS IS A BRILLIANT IDEA-- THANKS, I WILL BE WATCHING!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Have any of you done a study to see how frequent sink holes happen?

Is this just an interest for you guys or are you automatically concluding there is something more to SH?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Good work, I came across an eerily similar pattern about sinkholes and a possible post 2012 flood zone map earlier...

www.youtube.com...

Also, here's a more recent sinkhole in the Oxford Township for the OP...

www.eveningsun.com...
edit on 5-12-2012 by ArchaicDesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
good idea....glad you are keeping track of these...will follow along

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is a really excellent idea OP, thank you! Also I just wanted to say, the Ohio sink hole was man "caused" not man made. It seems they were drudging a pond for sand and then in the middle of the night the monstrous sinkhole happened. It was caused by an asphalt company.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AlanT1

Thanks for that clarification.

Thanks to everyone else, again, for supporting this little "watch" of mine; I'll do my best to be diligent. With that said, after school today, which is roughly 4 to 5 hours from now when I'll be home, I'll update the thread with updated news, videos, and add what people have contributed. It was suggested that instead of updating my first post I make posts structured how "Mega Threads" do (see: PuterMan) so I'll be using that technique.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Philosophile

Going to be Worldwide not just USA correct?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

Correct!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

A quick informative read about sinkholes.

ga.water.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It's strange, I was thinking about this only the other day, but I don't have enough posts to start a thread.

I was watching a video on the BBC, and I noticed in the side bar how many other sink hole related videos there were all over the world within the past few months.

Of course, I can't find half of them now, but here are some.

(Apologies if any have already been posted...)

Sinkhole appears in Guatemala bedroom

Massive sinkhole causes highway to collapse in Ohio, USA (This one has been mentioned)

There were some more from 2012 but I can't find them now.

From 2010:

Huge sinkhole appears in German housing estate

Huge 80m hole opens up in Chinese playground

Mysterious hole in Norwich (UK) defeats engineers

These were all just from the BBC

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thomasjveil

Thanks for this and to the poster above you. I'm trying to keep this as a current sinkhole event thread, meaning they've occurred within this year or recently, but nevertheless thank you for your contributions.

I'll be have an update post most likely today if there have been any new occurrences within the day, so expect that once I get out of school and thereafter.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm quite interested, in fact recently have been including some posts regarding 'Sinkholes' where it was appropriate and in context with the story. The Map of 'PRONE' places where sinkholes might occur is interesting, as well as the Caves in the Southern states, and in Florida, also Bayu Corne in Louisiana. We have had drought conditions for a few years running, but beyond that, we have been consuming our aquifers faster than they can replenish. Our Aquifers have taken Eons to form and fill and all the mechanics behind their formation. Yet little is known in the scheme of things as to their potential for disaster. One would think that 'Fracking' certainly couldn't be any good for them. The list of sinkholes in the last decade is astounding in their count and frequency. And it's not just a phenomenon occurring solely in the United States. As many will remember, a couple years back or so in Documentary form, there has been a proliferation of sink holes occurring in the Dead Sea area, many manifesting for roughly about a decade now. Much of that attributed to Damming of the Jordan river.
It's just speculation on my part, but it could also be that 'Acid Rain' is accelerating the mechanics of dissolving the limestone formations under recent sinkholes, and those yet to manifest. We have dammed nearly every river that could have possibly be used as a source for one purpose or another. Irrigation, culinary or hydroelectric, this elleminating a lot of seasonal flooding that might have replenished quite a number of our aquifers. They say many places are floating on oil. hmmmm, floating..... well if you remove that that they are floating, and do not replenish or let Mother Nature replenish, what have you? I'd say many Hollows and voids. And with voids, many more routes for the penetration of surface water. Water including these acids that accelerate the disintegration of the sedimentary limestone layers. Given enough surface area, they will collapse, and it seems were seeing this on a daily basis.

I'll be interested in following along and interjecting info as I find it relevant. Carry on.......
edit on 6-12-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Another hole opens up yesterday, this one seems to have an explanation this time though.

Hole in Blackshots Lane, Grays, prompts evacuation

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Sink Hole in Texas 12/7/12

Source

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Good idea for a thread, as it does seem like there are a lot of sinkhole stories in the news lately.

Sinkhole in California 12/18/2012
Clayton: Sinkhole prompts partial closure of Marsh Creek Road

Link

This happened in July in Canada.
Highway re-opened after huge sinkhole repaired

Link
edit on 18-12-2012 by PacificBlue because: add link

edit on 18-12-2012 by PacificBlue because: added date

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just thought I would link the map again. It was last updated on December 13th. Looks like USA is "the winner"

maps.google.com...

Thanks,
Blend57

<< 1   >>

join