It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole Watch 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'm not trying to make this an official "Watch" thread nor in conjunction with the others, but since sinkholes are becoming more prevalent I figured it'd be a good idea to do so.

I will do my best to keep this updated consistently. Keep in mind though, I am still in high school so I typically have other priorities and stuff to do, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be lazy in this because it's not hard to keep this up-to-date. Please, feel free to post your own findings and I'll add them crediting whomever was the founder.

Threads (updated as I notice them)
Ohio sinkhole grows to football field sized overnight

Officials: “Event” Has Ocurred at Giant Sinkhole-(Video)-USGS Reporting Seismic Activity

News (updated daily) (MM/DD/YY)
Monster Sinkholes Indication Major Earth Changes on The New Madrid Fault? - 12/04/12

Ohio Sinkhole Devours Four Football Fields Of Land, Stretch Of ... - 11/30/12

Repairs for Lafayette sinkhole could stretch into spring - 12/03/12

Sinkhole closes Adams County road, bridge - 12/04/12

edit on 4-12-2012 by Philosophile because: Formating

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Cool, im in....
This increasingly common phenom should be regularly monitored here......like the quake watch....
Good idee

Now ive got this marked ill keep my eye out for developements.....
edit on 4-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here is a story from a few hours ago reporting on the sinkholes on the New Madrid Fault area.

www.rightsidenews.com... -the-new-madrid-fault.html
edit on 4-12-2012 by summer5 because: fixing link

I don't know why the link is not taking you directly to the article

edit on 4-12-2012 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm subscribed to this as well. Can I make a suggestion? I would find it more helpful to have the dates beside your links. If not, no problem...just a better visual.

thanks!

Edit: Thanks! Easier for my small mind to process now!

edit on 4-12-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Great idea. I'll do so now. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

www.rightsidenews.com... -the-new-madrid-fault.html edit on 4-12-2012 by summer5 because: fixing link I don't know why the link is not taking you directly to the article

the text of the link is too long.
you can go to 'tiny url' , paste that link there, then copy the link to the the preview link they make for you and paste that here.
[the direct links from tiny url don't work at ats]

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thanks for taking this on.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I am in here too since the increase in these cannot be ignored. Thank you for starting this. Hopefully the New Madrid doesn't let loose and let's hope this isn't a precursor.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
S&F

I think a sinkhole thread is a great idea.

It's hard to keep up with all the different ones out there.

Good job.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I was looking into this a few days ago and found this mapping of sinkholes from mainly 2011 on. Last updated November 2012.

maps.google.com...

Found it to be interesting and a good visual representation. Unclear as to whether they have included all of them or just some.
Maybe it will be helpful for you guys.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nice to come across a high school kid who is willing to question boundaries in a mature and well thought out way. Great thread mate, looking forward to following this

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
Nice to come across a high school kid who is willing to question boundaries in a mature and well thought out way. Great thread mate, looking forward to following this

I second, third and forth that!

Fantastic to see someone in high school starting up a thread like this!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Two enormous sinkholes in Bay Area, California .

Rather boring vid but, it's another sinkhole that just happened.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Thanks, everyone! To those who are helping me with this as well by posting their own sources of sinkhole information, also. However, I've tried to edit my thread throughout the day and I get the "4 hour" error as in, a dialogue states I cannot edit my thread within 4 hours. It's been long past 4 hours since I created this thread, so ideas? Otherwise I can't keep the thread up-to-date and this won't work.

Thanks again.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
An interesting link for sinkholes in Kentucky.

www.caves.org...

I am learning new info about the Karst sinkholes which I never knew about.

I am bringing my connection on the map thoughts here to this thread.

So I drew a line from the LA sinkhole to the new Ohio sinkhole, (which has now been determined to be man made).

Then noticed a eerily coincidental line through TN

Now, check out this arch in KY.............

I don't really know what I am saying here, just that line does seem to somewhat match up, no.

edit on 4-12-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Philosophile

Just update within the thread. Those of us that are involved should be able to easily follow along.

For tips on how to manage a " potential monster thread" check out quake watch or volcano watch. They do a great job of offering up to the moment info without flooding the thread with nonsense.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by Philosophile

Just update within the thread. Those of us that are involved should be able to easily follow along.

For tips on how to manage a " potential monster thread" check out quake watch or volcano watch. They do a great job of offering up to the moment info without flooding the thread with nonsense.

This very well could be on it's way to being a

"Monster Thread"

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I dont know how to link but, June 22,2011 The Bakersfield Californian newspaper ran an article about a worker who died when he fell into a sinkhole that had hot boiling steam coming out. It happened in Taft not far from the San Andreas fault.
I didnt see this sinkhole listed anywhere, just thought you might want to add it to the list.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by misskat1

www.bakersfieldnow.com...

(Just copy and paste a link, or put the link in the tab above the comment box.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join