It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I stayed up late to watch Led Zeppelin on Letterman...for what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
They looked bored. They looked like they didn't want to be there and David Lettermen's questions were bad. I think Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest rock'n roll bands to have ever graced his show and he blew it. They were unimpressed with his interview, I was unimpressed and they didn't even play a song on stage. Not faulting them, just the producers.

Dave asks "what do you call your style of music?" ....you could hear crickets in the theater. Really? Dave? Come on man. I could have watched the Colbert report instead.

/rant

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I love Zeppelin, but I wouldn't bother watching them perform now even with the benefit of using someone else's eyes and ears.

These older bands were incredible during their time, but the longer they insist on performing (in most cases) they only ruin the legacy that they had created years ago.

There comes a time when these guys need to take a good long look at themselves and realize that they aren't what they used to be.

Don't get me wrong here, there are some that can still do what they do on a high level, and they should continue, but if you haven't got it anymore or you have to replace a few of your band-mates because they've died, it is no longer the same.

Just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Ya that's fine. They all must be hitting close to 70 now. However, if they came to do a show in my city, it would probably be the first big name concert I've gone to see since '93. Nothing wrong with nostalgia.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I would ask why you would stay up to watch a band speak in the first place? Even if it is one you really, really like... They are not liked for their talking are they? LOL...

Idolization of music/movie/football stars has always fascinated me... WHY? They are just people that happen to be able to sing/act/play an instrument... Music and movies are nice and all but why turn the entertainers into some sort of demi-gods?

Where are the groupies for brain surgeons? Or firefighters or anyone that actually does something to help out their fellow man/woman?

It is strange when you think about it... It is to me anyway...

Is getting paid millions upon millions not enough?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mee30

You do realize your talking about LED ZEPPELIN!!!! THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Actually, I thought they were going to do a song. Too bad. Besides, I don't know how you can lump rock stars in with brain surgeons
When was the last time you got a rush of dopamine from watching a frontal lobotomy?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Wow... they didn't play a song on stage? Why have them on there even? Very odd!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos
I love Zeppelin, but I wouldn't bother watching them perform now even with the benefit of using someone else's eyes and ears.
These older bands were incredible during their time, but the longer they insist on performing (in most cases) they only ruin the legacy that they had created years ago.
There comes a time when these guys need to take a good long look at themselves and realize that they aren't what they used to be.

I have to agree! When I was a kid we lived out in the sticks and I did not get to go to concerts. I loved Rock and Roll so when I "grew up" I chased down concerts from many of the bands from my youth. Almost always leaving the show disappointed.......

Over the years I have found a few tribute bands that are as good as the originals, in some cases maybe better as they did less drugs and could put on a consistent show.

There is no replacement for the energy of youth, not even practice lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

That's fantastic, but guess what? I still couldn't care less for what they have to say... I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them... talk...

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Zep is back? Who on drums? Jason Bohnam?

Part of me wants to be excited. Another part? Kind of afraid to look. Ya know?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
they're lost without aliester crowley.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Actually, I thought they were going to do a song. Too bad. Besides, I don't know how you can lump rock stars in with brain surgeons When was the last time you got a rush of dopamine from watching a frontal lobotomy?

I'm sure you can see some led zeppelin perform their music anytime you like... Here a full concert for you!

Wait, what? Where did I lump them together? In fact I believe I made a couple clear distinctions between them... 1. brain surgeons do not have groupies... 2. brain surgeons help out their fellow man...

Do I get a rush of dopamine when watching a frontal lobotomy? No but if it was one of my children that needed brain surgery (you realize they don't only perform frontal lobotomies right?) and the brain surgeon tells me he just saved their life then I might get a rush of something that would outweigh your piddly dopamine rush! Wouldn't you say?

It's okay, I'm sorry, I have offended the demi-gods... Throw me into HELL!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Wow, just wow. Some people here I swear just like to be confrontational for no purpose except to excite their dopamine receptors. Go argue with someone else. Thanks for dropping by.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

It also seems some people use the boards to piss and moan about the most unimportant topics...

It is a serious question as it goes, why are stars so loved yet someone that saves lives isn't... Sorry it isn't a question you like for some reason...

It seems to me that some people get really defensive of their respective demi-gods... Why?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Not back, unfortunately. They got together for the Kennedy Center Honors, but Plant just doesn't want to do the Zep thing. It appears he is the only hold out. Just drumming up business for the new DVD release and the upcoming box set, I'm sure.

If they ever did, yes, Jason on drums.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

but Plant just doesn't want to do the Zep thing. It appears he is the only hold out.

I saw Plant a couple of times in the last few years. I love his solo albums even though he's been doing some bluegrass kind of stuff lately. On stage while bantering (If I recall, it was during his tour with Allison Kraus) he said something along the lines of "When I was with Zeppelin, I didn't get to discover the kind of music I REALLY liked. Now I can have fun with music again."

Something like that. I felt like he was admitting that Zeppelin was just a job, but that he didn't enjoy the music as much as what he was doing now. Isn't that what every past-their-prime rocker says though?

edit on 4-12-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by FlySolo

I would ask why you would stay up to watch a band speak in the first place? Even if it is one you really, really like... They are not liked for their talking are they? LOL...

Idolization of music/movie/football stars has always fascinated me... WHY? They are just people that happen to be able to sing/act/play an instrument... Music and movies are nice and all but why turn the entertainers into some sort of demi-gods?

Where are the groupies for brain surgeons? Or firefighters or anyone that actually does something to help out their fellow man/woman?

It is strange when you think about it... It is to me anyway...

Is getting paid millions upon millions not enough?

Mm,why do I get the feeling you've missed the point somehow.lol

The movie star or footballer fair enough but music is completely different,it connects directly to what i call my soul in a way art,movies,sports,games blah,blah,blah have no ability to do.

There are some musicians who have earned every accolade they've been given,None more so that Led Zeppelin.It's not just the outstanding songs,platinum selling albums (on advanced sales,no less !!),the phenomenal live shows,the sheer musical ability,the way they've shaped the image of rock like no other,the excess,the millions,who else has caught a shark from the hotel window then used it sexually on a groupie ~ or the antics and myths,the drink and drugs,the esoteric study of Jimmy Page,the light and the dark,Aleister Crowley and Boleskin,the double necked SG,the violin bow,the theramin,the Les Paul.This band didn't play the music industrys tune,interviews were very rare,singles were equally rare,they didn't use magazines,t.v or top of the pops to promote their music,it spoke for itself,,it's that simple !!!

Jimmy Page not only wrote some of the most legendary songs in rock history,he changed the way music was recorded,engineered in the studio,they changed the relationship between bands and venues forever.when John Bonham died decided it couldnt continue without him.

This band has had a bigger,deeper and far more extensive influence on modern music than Elvis Presely and the Beatles but because of who they were you either get Zeppelin or you don't.

Now I can fully understand why someone would stay up late to see them perform live,absolutely.I would too,,AC/DC too but not anyone else !!!

Live music isn't art,it's life,it's living,it doesnt represent or pretend.It's vital,visceral and music has moved people deep inside like very few things in life can.I can hear a song and it'll send rushes up and down my spine,fill me with joy,sorrow.

When I was in primary school I hated singing carols because it's all I could do to stop myself crying like a baby when the music for Away in a manger started up.Why??Haven't got a clue,soon as I heard it,that's what happened,even now it sends a chill through me.Music connects like nothing else and particularly live music.

It's not about demi~gods or hero worship,one man or woman with a guitar/piano/violin whatever just making music and singing by themselves can be like watching alchemy.

I've spent 25 years playing the guitar and playing music is even more powerful than listening to someone else,,i'll go to my grave with my Stratocaster beside me !!!

Anyway,,that's the opinion of someone who's life is music ~ for what it's worth.lol !!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

It's never really Zep though is it,,those days ended in 1980.

I know they did the o2 a few years back but without John Bonham it isn't Zep,they know that themselves.

I seen them twice in the 90's but it was Plant and Page which is similar but not the same,,it's as good as we'll ever get though in this day and age !!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by FlySolo

It also seems some people use the boards to piss and moan about the most unimportant topics...

It is a serious question as it goes, why are stars so loved yet someone that saves lives isn't... Sorry it isn't a question you like for some reason...

It seems to me that some people get really defensive of their respective demi-gods... Why?

Sorry to keep picking on your responses.lol

Yes it may be true that the biggest bands haven't performed any life saving surgery or rescued anybody from a burning building but they have touched millions of peoples lives in a way,like I said few actors,football players etc,etc.

People chose specific songs for weddings,for their funerals,couples have 'their' song.You cannot downplay how much music is wrapped up in our lives like no other 'art' form.Though like I said music is much more that art.

I know however bad things get I can listen to Zep or AC/DC and aslong as it still touches me I'll not be down and out.

The only thing that could possibly be compared to music for it's worldwide effect on peoples lives over the years,,well i hate to say it but the bible or religion but to my mind the bible and religion aren't fit to be mentioned in the same sentence !!

top topics

join