Seismic event reported in York County (((Maine)))

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Seismic event reported in York County

www.pressherald.com

York County emergency dispatchers said they received several calls, most from the Waterboro area, reporting the noise.

Tom Hawley, with the National Weather Service in Gray said he could not find any confirmation of an earthquake on U.S. Geological Survey website – which doesn’t always map small quakes – but he felt it.

“I felt it in Hollis. It shook the whole house,” Hawley said. “My neighbor felt it too. I guess it was an earthquake.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-12-2012 by nerdyclutzyblonde because: (no reason given)
edit on 4-12-2012 by nerdyclutzyblonde because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is the same area that had a 4.0 earthquake a couple of months ago. Several people on a Facebook News page reported feeling shaking last night at 10:30 pm, as well with the shaking this morning.

It's an area out in the middle of nowhere Maine. I'm wondering if it's earthquakes or something else.

(Note: at the time of posting there was no other posting on this as per the ATS search engine)

www.pressherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-12-2012 by nerdyclutzyblonde because: Smart phone issues & need more coffee

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The USGS site can be a little slow posting data at times. The USGS site is now showing a 2.3 quake in Maine.

Here are some links to the USGS data pages...

USGS 7 day listing for U S quakes

USGS map of quake location

USGS data page for this quake

edit on 4-12-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Maine Shaking

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The most interesting thing about this is that 5-6 people on a local FB news page reported feeling shaking around 10:30pm last night in the same areas. No mention of that on USGS.

You can look up the comments if you have FB - I can't figure out how to link the FB page for some reason.

It's on the WCSH 6 page, their first post about the earthquake.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
The USGS site is now showing a 2.3 quake in Maine.

After living most of my life in southern California it seems a wonder anyone there would feel a 2.3 quake unless the epicenter was in their own bedroom. I guess it is quiet enough in Maine to be noticed but in Los Angeles that would seem like the rough equivalent to a large truck passing by or the neighbor kid driving down the street blasting his car's sub-woofers. All things are relative, I suppose.

edit on 4-12-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

being born and raised in Maine all my life I can tell you Maine is geologically different than California...almost everything over here on the East coast is on granite of some type.....most seismic activity is easier felt here and travels further out from the epicenter, or rather, is felt further out from the center of activity...
BTW...I'm on the coast and though I did feel the last one (4.3) I did not feel this one-but then again I hadn't had a coffee yet at 7:10 am...lol...I am about 60 miles from the center of todays quake

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rockhndr

You're absolutely right on that. I felt my whole house shake here just outside of Boston during the October quake. I thought someone had driven into my house.

In comparison to California quakes, the ones out east are smaller on the scale, but are definitely felt much further away from the epicenter than they are out west.

new topics
top topics

join