It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it impossible to get recent pictures from voyager 1 or 2 ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Why is it impossible to get recent pictures from voyager 1....... or 2

They have that one form the 90´s, but is that it? Is the camera not working? Do they not use it?

I think it should be taking a picture everyday no? Why is this not being shared?

I just want to see the universe ahead of our solar system.....is that not OK? Is there a military reason for all this secrecy?

I mean come on, will they show us what they are seeing now in like 20 years?

just one lousy snap shot is all I am asking for.

taken in 1990´s...that is earth.

This latest image taken by Voyager and released by Nasa shows the Earth as a dot in the solar system as the twin spacecraft explore the edge of our solar system.

is the camera broken?

edit on 4-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If Voyager I is at the edge of our solar system, and our solar system is roughly 100 light years across, then shouldn't it take around 100 years for us to receive any signal from Voyager 1 to pick up any picture transmission? I'm JUST asking because I don't know either that's just my idea.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
Why is it impossible to get recent pictures from voyager 1....... or 2

They have that one form the 90´s, but is that it? Is the camera not working? Do they not use it?

I think it should be taking a picture everyday no? Why is this not being shared?

I just want to see the universe ahead of our solar system.....is that not OK? Is there a military reason for all this secrecy?

I mean come on, will they show us what they are seeing now in like 20 years?

just one lousy snap shot is all I am asking for.

Good question! Maybe a camera failure, though I can't seem to find any data on NASA's website. Maybe it's simply that there isn't anything out there to take a picture of. Not sure what they would be hiding, that far out.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I completely agree with you, We should be screaming for these pictures, they do this all the time, In the words of Katt Williams "They used to let us watch the shuttles go up, now they be setting off at 3AM just so we dont know #".

They will never tell us the truth. Its time for change me thinks.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
From what i remember a lot of the systems have been turned off to save the remaining power and probably theres very little information in the visible spectrum when that far from the sun

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

This is just ah guess on my part. But I would say out either has something to do with conserving power for sending back other information, like stuff about the heliosphere.

Or, maybe the cameras are no longer working.

I seem to remember watching a video where Carl Sagan was discussing having the camera take one last picture of Earth, I don't know why it would have been the last one. Power? Distance? I don't know.

Or maybe I'm misremembering.

edit on 4-12-2012 by watchitburn because: ha ha, Saban

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

You are probably correct! In any case, i did send off an email to NASA, to ask them about recent pics. Will share if I get a reply. Sounds logical, though, to save power. Wonder how far they can go before they can't get any data back at all?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Just a thought maybe it was spotted and snatched by E.T.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
After a quick google it seems like they stopped with photo's in 1990 when they did The Family Portrait

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This thread is a prime example of why conspiracies crop up.

1. The solar system is about 20 light HOURS in diameter not 100 light years.
2. The cameras were shut off to conserve power.
3. There is nothing out there to take detailed pictures of.
4. The view of our galaxy is essentially the same from Earth as from Voyager.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philosophile
If Voyager I is at the edge of our solar system, and our solar system is roughly 100 light years across, then shouldn't it take around 100 years for us to receive any signal from Voyager 1 to pick up any picture transmission? I'm JUST asking because I don't know either that's just my idea.

Our Solar System is only 2 light year across, not 100. Not meaning to be snooty just wanted to make the correction.

SOURCE

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

so, uh, there is nothing out there huh....yeah, I just can't believe that. Call me nuts, but a picture of the farthest we can see is worth allot to me.

The farthest our eyes have ever seen, think about that.......It would be a treasure.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Because pics would show the Antichrist leaving Nibiru in his alien space craft while instructing the Illuminati to cause death and destruction on Earth before his arrival. This would mean the extinction of conspiracy theories and the need for ATS in general!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

ah well, that would be a good reason.

Maybe the federation has a self replicating mine field preventing interference with pre-warp civilizations and the thing blew up long ago.....Maybe a ferangi cargo ship took it in as scrap....maybe....lol

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
NASA has been lying since day one and now you want to see actual pictures from the voyager?

Maybe NASA told us that they have shutdown the cameras to save power but maybe that is not true.

When will people understand that NASA only says what they want you to know. I am sure that they have top secret information about the universe that they don't want people to know.

I think that they say only 30% of what they know.

NASA already knows that there is life in mars, europa, and other places almost right here in our own backyard.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lke123
When will people understand that NASA only says what they want you to know. I am sure that they have top secret information about the universe that they don't want people to know.

I think that they say only 30% of what they know.

NASA already knows that there is life in mars, europa, and other places almost right here in our own backyard.

I think that you're just lying to us. Provide evidence or admit it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philosophile

First of all, the solar system is NOT 100 light years across. If you made a bubble 100 light years across (a 50 light year radius) with the earth at its center, it would encompass about 2000 other stars --150 of those stars being sun-like stars.

Voyager is not that far out, and is nowhere near any other stars. The nearest star in 4 light years away. It would take Voyager 1 about 17,000 years to travel even ONE light year. Voyager is NOT heading toward that closest star, but if it was, it would take 75,000 years to get there.

Here is how far the two Voyager spacecraft are from Earth right now:

-- Voyager 1 is 0.0019 light years away -- or 17 "light hours" away.
-- Voyager 2 is 0.0016 light years away -- or 14 "light hours" away.

And to answer "Then how big IS the solar system"...
The size of the solar system is not an easy thing to define. There is not just one definition of the "size of the solar system".

The edge of the heliosphere (where Voyager 1 is right now) is only one definition. If you also count the obits of comets around the sun, then the solar system is 1.5 light years in diameter.

Using that definition, the edge of the solar system is much, much farther out than Voyager 1. It will take Voyager about 12,000 years to get past the last of our solar system's comets.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The cameras on Voyager have been shut off to conserve power.

In fact, most of Voyager's instruments have been turned off, and Voyager is operating on very, very low power. The amount of power Voyager uses to transmit to Earth is about the same as a 12 watt light bulb.

Besides, a picture of the sun and planets would look like dots (and, other than the relatively bright dot of the sun, the only planets you may see were the tiny dots of Jupiter and Saturn. The picture of other stars would not be better than we can get with telescopes on Earth (in fact, Earth telescopes would see the other stars better).

edit on 12/4/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

What would you like pictures of? It is not like the voyager has the equipment like say Hubble. Only when there's an object relatively close to the voyager it might be worth taking pictures. Pictures of 'space' will only result in low resolution star images.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Well there's not a lot to be seen anyway. It's basically space void. In fact, the view from there is pretty much the same as the view from here - except maybe for the view of the sun and neighbouring planets.

What Voyager I can see there is just and merely empty space. I can't really say that such a picture is any relevant to me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join